Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    ye i agree with cyclone jack they should just add infusion slots

suprised they adding new tier of items even though my opinion people are overreacting

but i guess i just dont care much about the game

Yea that is what they should have done. The problem is prolly that what do you do about all the existing exotic sets? Do they get the infusion slots too? Do i need to go back and acquire another full dungeon set cuz my current set doesnt have infusion slots. Also think about this. The current content in GW2 doesnt need infusion slots to complete the challenges. So why add them to the existing gear. The new content also doesnt require infusion slots at its base level. So ppl in exotics and lower can complete that content just like any other content.

By making a new "tier" only needed in a certain dungeon, wait lemme rephrase that, By making a new "tier" that is only needed in the highest of difficulties in a repeatable dungeon that anyone can do any number of times on any difficulty they wish.

They could actually still of had ascended armor just make the have the same stats as exotics but with an infusion slot. That way you separate FoM dungeons from storymode/explorable dungeons.
    -still not a gear treadmill-

10+ Year Old Account
    Zeek Daniels 2016
    Valar morghulis

Deleted
    Time for some negative campaigning...

Zeek is weak!

Deleted
    Keep it on topic please guys :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Keep it on topic please guys :P
    But this is more fun =P

It's nice to know Zeek actually see what Anet is likely doing, and guys, "there will be more progression." Does t mean shit, maybe they just mean "we will have a full set of ascended gear EVENTUALLY!! And then the legendary gear (which has been said to be coming well after launch apart from the weapons) and then technically more infusion = more progression...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Yea that is what they should have done. The problem is prolly that what do you do about all the existing exotic sets? Do they get the infusion slots too? Do i need to go back and acquire another full dungeon set cuz my current set doesnt have infusion slots. Also think about this. The current content in GW2 doesnt need infusion slots to complete the challenges. So why add them to the existing gear. The new content also doesnt require infusion slots at its base level. So ppl in exotics and lower can complete that content just like any other content.

By making a new "tier" only needed in a certain dungeon, wait lemme rephrase that, By making a new "tier" that is only needed in the highest of difficulties in a repeatable dungeon that anyone can do any number of times on any difficulty they wish.

They could actually still of had ascended armor just make the have the same stats as exotics but with an infusion slot. That way you separate FoM dungeons from storymode/explorable dungeons.
    -still not a gear treadmill-
    The problem I have is with how it will effect WvW players. If the gear is better, you pretty much have to get it to have a 'full power' level 80 in WvW. That means if I want to be maxed out statwise in WvW that I will HAVE to run this dungeon instead of running it because I want to see it (which is how I have been playing up til now.)

I don't give a rat's ass whether it's technically content gating or not. The beauty of this game was that there were multiple ways to gear out your character and you weren't forced to do anything you may not want to do because it had a 'BiS' item. My necro has full exotics consisting of Karma, crafted, dungeon and unique loot drop pieces. Now what I'm understanding is all that stuff is going to be obsoleted by this new armor that is 7% better than what I have (that's the number I saw earlier in this thread anyway.) That DOES NOT make me a happy camper.

Also think about this. The current content in GW2 doesnt need infusion slots to complete the challenges. So why add them to the existing gear. The new content also doesnt require infusion slots at its base level. So ppl in exotics and lower can complete that content just like any other content.

You didn't need new gear to get Infused in GW1, so there really is no reason that it requires new gear in GW2. All this does is get people to get new armor that they may not like and force them to get more Transmutations. It gets people in WvW to go get the next tier of armor (depending on the stats, Ascended may actually be worse for PvP than Exotic, to be determined). It adds higher tier equipment that may not be craftable. Basically, they are breaking their own rules after telling everybody how it was going to be. If they make this exception, what other manifesto rules will they be willing to make an exception for?

As for challenging content, GW1 had plenty of challenging content that didn't require vertical progression of any kind.

Again, I'm not against adding the Infusion slot, as that will allow them to have a variety of specialized dungeons that can have a variety of different Infusions that can be placed into your armor. I'm just upset that it took them a mere 2 months to break one of their own manifesto rules. If it was announced prior to launch that there would be a new Ascended tier of gear added shortly after launch, to coincide with additional content that was not yet ready, then they could have avoided this entire issue.

Now pls tell me how the content required you to grind for gear in order to complete it.
    The thing is that ArenaNet is not going to introduce the new agony mechanic, ascended gear, and infusions for just this dungeon alone. This will be expanded on in future content patches and there will be new PvE content built around the new mechanics. I'm not particularly concerned about basically one tier of gear being added right now (depending on how much of a grind it will be). What concerns me is that we have no guarantee that it will stop. They can't reuse the way the Fractals of the Mists dungeons is constructed over and over (because it won't make a lot of sense elsewhere) and they are unlikely to limit the agony mechanic to this one dungeon.

The underlying issue is really one of trust (or lack thereof). This is as clearly a broken promise as there has ever been one; other aspects of ArenaNet's manifesto may have been executed imperfectly, but I'm not stressing out over someone not being able to implement their vision perfectly as long as they are trying; I'd rather they aim high and fail occasionally than not try at all. But with respect to gear treadmills, they now have gone back on their word, so I will NOT take their word for it when they claim that everything will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    The thing is that ArenaNet is not going to introduce the new agony mechanic, ascended gear, and infusions for just this dungeon alone. This will be expanded on in future content patches and there will be new PvE content built around the new mechanics. I'm not particularly concerned about basically one tier of gear being added right now (depending on how much of a grind it will be). What concerns me is that we have no guarantee that it will stop. They can't reuse the way the Fractals of the Mists dungeons is constructed over and over (because it won't make a lot of sense elsewhere) and they are unlikely to limit the agony mechanic to this one dungeon.

The underlying issue is really one of trust (or lack thereof). This is as clearly a broken promise as there has ever been one; other aspects of ArenaNet's manifesto may have been executed imperfectly, but I'm not stressing out over someone not being able to implement their vision perfectly as long as they are trying; I'd rather they aim high and fail occasionally than not try at all. But with respect to gear treadmills, they now have gone back on their word, so I will NOT take their word for it when they claim that everything will be fine.

They way i read it was that the dungeon itself will get new encounters added to the rotation. So in essence its a randomly generated dungeon that never ends. Anet can keep adding new parts to it and keep raising the difficulty cap which will require better infusions. Storymode dungeons and explore dungeons should still be added to the game but these dungeons have endings and are of the same difficulty as current storymode dungeons and explore dungeons. If Anet makes ascendence gear a requirement for new storymode and explore dungeons then you guys all have the right to complain. But as it stands right now, this gear is only ment for the high end players who want greater challenges.

Also as to the WvW posts. I havent been in WvW since launch, been to busy with school and mainly focusing on PvE and Spvp. I wouldnt have thought gear mattered that much when ppl are just beating on walls and doors, maybe it matters in small scale fights for resource camps but i dont think the stats provide that much of a shift. Also Anet should not allow infusions to work against other players. If they do even i will be complaining.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2012-11-13 at 04:30 PM.

They way i read it was that the dungeon itself will get new encounters added to the rotation. So in essence its a randomly generated dungeon that never ends. Anet can keep adding new parts to it and keep raising the difficulty cap which will require better infusions. Storymode dungeons and explore dungeons should still be added to the game but these dungeons have endings and are of the same difficulty as current storymode dungeons and explore dungeons. If Anet makes ascendence gear a requirement for new storymode and explore dungeons then you guys all have the right to complain. But as it stands right now, this gear is only ment for the high end players who want greater challenges.
    Can you source the claim that Agony and Infusions will be limited to Fractals of the Mists only? Or are you just speculating?

From the way I read it, it looks like the Agony mechanic is going to be put in their instances that they make from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's only funny because like...a week ago?...we just had a discussion here on how the current combat mechanics (Dodge, especially) were going to eventually force a system where mobs have some sort of unavoidable damage.
    Yeah but this is just a gear check, not a skill check at all.

Can you source the claim that Agony and Infusions will be limited to Fractals of the Mists only? Or are you just speculating?
    Not gonna link it but the blog says that Agony is a new condition in the FoM dungeon. Your infusion is going to combat this reducing its damage, not other players dmg or other mobs dmg, just that conditions dmg. They said infusions can be gained from Mystic forge however but infusions slots are from gear drops inside the FoM itself.

Deleted
    As clear a change in design philosophy as I have ever seen from a game developer, and it makes me wonder what ANet are seeing that they have made it so soon. Radiance didn't make people in LotRO suddenly change their playstyles and was pretty much an unmitigated disaster, but this implementation comes a lot sooner in the games life and may be less disruptive. Resistance gear ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by madrox View Post
    As clear a change in design philosophy as I have ever seen from a game developer, and it makes me wonder what ANet are seeing that they have made it so soon. Radiance didn't make people in LotRO suddenly change their playstyles and was pretty much an unmitigated disaster, but this implementation comes a lot sooner in the games life and may be less disruptive. Resistance gear ftw.
    Please explain how Arena Net have changed their design philosophy.

Not gonna link it but the blog says that Agony is a new condition in the FoM dungeon. Your infusion is going to combat this reducing its damage, not other players dmg or other mobs dmg, just that conditions dmg. They said infusions can be gained from Mystic forge however but infusions slots are from gear drops inside the FoM itself.
    I have read that myself and understand quite well how infusions work vs. agony, but my question was whether it will be limited to that dungeon in the future. I have a hard time believing that they are introducing a new tier of armor just for this one dungeon, especially since ascended armor for most slots won't come out until future content patches.

I have read that myself and understand quite well how infusions work vs. agony, but my question was whether it will be limited to that dungeon in the future. I have a hard time believing that they are introducing a new tier of armor just for this one dungeon, especially since ascended armor for most slots won't come out until future content patches.
    That is exactly what they are doing. The ascended armor will gradually get released, which means you can gradually get to higher and higher difficulties. Not to mention they will be adding more parts to the dungeon so instead of running the same 9 map rotations over and over again youll prolly be running 12 or 15 map rotations.

This dungeon is being made for specific set of individuals. If you casually play you can do each of those maps in rotation no problem. But if your looking for a more difficult challenge your going to need help, and thats what the gear is for. The infusions wont help you in other instances and wont be obtainable in other dungeons. Just the mystic forge and this dungeon. The gear itself will help you in other dungeons but you dont need that gear to do them as ppl have completed them in lesser gear since day 1. This Ascended gear is just for this dungeon. No more dungeons like it should ever be made since all you have to do is add more maps to the rotation.

This is why they called it a new PvE mode. Because to me it seems like a totally separate PvE experience.

Please explain how Arena Net have changed their design philosophy.
    See: http://www.arena.net/blog/is-it-fun-...asures-success

"We don't need mandatory gear treadmills."

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 05:09 PM ----------

That is exactly what they are doing.
    Again, can you source that or are you speculating?