Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Extreme nostalgia is one of the biggest thing hurting the game.

I'm getting quite sick of it.

I think extreme nostalgia is something that is killing gaming today in general, but it's especially bad in WoW. Something that stated out in Classic/BC is changed for the better? LOLITSUCKSBC/CLASSICWASBETTERBLIZZISAJOKE. Every single little damn thing that is changed is automatically slammed by idiots with rose-tinted glasses JUST because it's different from something in Classic/BC. I'm rather sick of it.

Some nostalgia is fine. Heck I have it sometimes while exploring through Northrend, we all do. The thing that annoys me is when people are downright OBSESSED about every single little thing that happened in BC/Classic (even though most of it has to deal with the people they played with), and refuse to accept ANY change to that model, even if it's obviously better.

Extreme nostalgia BS is one of the things that's killing the game the most.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    Agreed!

Especially when the topic is LFD. I don't care how loudly you yell about it, playing on a low-pop RP server during daytime hours and having to spend sometimes two or three DAYS at a time in town spamming trade for a group for a leveling dungeon, or begging a higher-level friend to run you, was not in any way, by any stretch of the imagination, at all better than being able to just queue and get it done.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if there would be "a way" to go back in time and play Vanilla / BC all over again, there's nothing to go back to. Everything that has changed in WoW has changed for the better. So yeah nostalgia sucks. It wasn't normal to farm your life's hours to get a ground mount that cost 1000g. I like it how it is now, can have real life but at the same time can have a bit of WoW too, without sucking at it, too much.
    | i9 10850K | RTX 3080 Ti Aorus | Z490 Aorus Ultra G2 | Corsair 32GB DDR4 3600MHz | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Seagate BarraCuda 6TB | Corsair HX1000W Platinum | Cooler Master H500M

How do you call people who constantly only like the current (new) stuff, and never bother to look how great the old stuff was? Its basically the exact opposite of nostalgie, but its pretty much hirting the game aswell.

Or how do you call the people constantly praising the game even by the most biggest mistakes? They also hurt the game badly.

Not saying nostalgie or hate is any better trough

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Byniri View Post
    Some nostalgia is fine. Heck I have it sometimes while exploring through Northrend, we all do. The thing that annoys me is when people are downright OBSESSED about every single little thing that happened in BC/Classic (even though most of it has to deal with the people they played with), and refuse to accept ANY change to that model, even if it's obviously better.

Extreme nostalgia BS is one of the things that's killing the game the most.
    Nuff said really, why start a thread on a subject you have no experience in, all your displaying is ignorance at highest level like every other little wrath child throwing out rose-tinted this, rose-tinted that whenever someone disagrees with the fully automated sit back and enjoy the ride while blizzard is decking your character in "epics" model we had in the last expansion.

Given this is MoP I can only assume your lackluster thread is about anyone not agreeing that dailies are bollocks and that you should be able to tripple-dip through dungeons and be able to get fully epic'd out in 1 day.

Better rate this thread highly

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it better to say the game has gotten more shallow?? That IS whats went on.
    Personally I'm tired of the console generation that likes shallow games without depth screaming nostalgia at older players.

Call it as you like. I loved WoW in Vanilla and TBC. Played it religiously. It started to went downhill from there. WotLK was so-so. Cataclysm was a disaster (pun not intended). MoP is meh. Is it becouse I have nostalgia or becouse the game got old for me or maybe its simply not as good with modern standards? I dont know. Why would semantics matter if what counts is the effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Katt View Post
    Is it better to say the game has gotten more shallow?? That IS whats went on.
    Don't agree. The game lost some complexity in some areas only to gain complexity in other areas. Even then, simplicity does not equal shallow, and the only thing WoW has done over this time has become slightly easier to understand.

I've never been much of a subscriber to the rose-tinted glasses theory. To me it's always felt like a buzzword used by Blizzard fanboys to effortlessly dismiss any complaint against the game's direction without considering its validity. Personally, I think Blizzard shuffling around their game model has caused its fair share of problems. Any time they change the type of player they're catering to, it's caused some discontent among the rest of the playerbase. Had they carried on with their one original design, I don't think people would feel as entitled to whatever feature they liked best. Let me be clear in that I don't mean to declare early WoW the best version of the game; I just think that change itself invariably leads to complaining.

I'm also picking up an implication that every change has been for the better. While many obviously have been, I feel like some changes have simply been to accommodate a different demographic and aren't a clear-cut superior model from every perspective.

I'd like to cut to my one question here: How exactly can nostalgia ruin the game? There are whiny threads on game-related forums that you don't have to read? Blizzard doesn't base their game model on who shouts the loudest.

Blizzard is the biggest thing holding WoW back.

Blizzard hasn't produced a quality game since the 2008 merger with Activision.

10+ Year Old Account
    my nostalgia actually is all about WotLK for all different reasons than people expect it may be. Simply the story and interaction. I loved how involved i were. So story point wise and lore wise. wrath of the lich king is my fave, everything else i played through and cata had its moments, as did bc and so far as does mop. but just my player experience negating game dynamics. wotlk was my peak

10+ Year Old Account
    High School was a fun time. Life was simpler, easier, I had more time to do what ever I wanted(video games paintballing fishing) and didn't really have to worry about anything.

I in no way want to go back to High School.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post

He says as he Posts on a forum that is devoted to general talk about a WoW. A game that millions of people still play and enjoy.

I think what drives the nostalgia is a sense of community that has faded with time. If you look at the actual game systems objectively there really is no denying that they have changed for the better almost every time, and are substantially better now than they were before. That said, the social aspect of the game has become more challenging. The quality and depth of information about the game available on the internet is staggeringly more vast now than it ever has been before. The average experience of a player is much more substantial now than before, and the average amount about the game most players expect other players to know has increased as well. As players get more information from external sources, the instances of mentorship and a self supporting community become fewer and more impersonal. As convenience replaces tedium our opportunities to interact and share hardships decrease. There are more analogs to this fading of community everywhere if you look for them, the decline of world PVP, the implementation of cross realm battlegrounds, dungeons, zones, etc.

There is no doubt that the software the game runs on is better now than it was at the past, but to say nostalgia about the game experience is unfounded and today's game is indisputably better than it has been is to ignore what an enormous factor the social aspects of world of warcraft are, and how much of a driving force they are for many, if not most players. This is what it always amuses me when players call for a return to "Burning Crusade style raiding" and similar. They are petitioning blizzard to fix the eroded community, when it is the one thing about the game that blizzard can't change.

10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose you're correct. If a lot of players quit because they believe the game used to be much better and that Blizzard has wrecked it, then yes, that's going to hurt the game. At least, hurt it in the sense that subscriber numbers (and thus Blizzard revenue) will both drop.

I agree.
    But not gonna lie, when i entered old sm to fight the HH during Halloween i got a little tingle of joy not seeing the place in flames.
    Bane

I know I'll get flamed for this but I loved BWL and MC. That time of the game every class had its ONE role. If you wanted to raid you were that role or you didn't raid. It wasn't this whole bring the player not the class.

In case your wondering this is coming from a TANKING warrior, FROST mage, and a Resto druid

Edit:
    Did it suck farming for hours on end for raid mats? Of course it did but it made getting the best gear worth it. It wasn't a spreedsheet that I could type out in a couple hours saying I'll be geared by this date as long as I farm X for X time.

The only time that came into play was the High Warlord gear but every server pretty much had a rotation down on who was going to get that.
    Last edited by pimpeddakota; 2012-11-13 at 06:49 PM.
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ironfists View Post
    But not gonna lie, when i entered old sm to fight the HH during Halloween i got a little tingle of joy not seeing the place in flames.
    I felt the same way.

And I will admit, I really miss the sprawling mess of a maze that Sunken Temple used to be... I was sad when they nerfed it down to the tiny little thing it is now. But on the other hand, I acknowledge that pugs practically never finished it in its old form and the nerf was needed for LFD - I just wish they could have preserved the old version for non-LFD runs.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Agree with the OP to a fair extent. TBC holds my happiest memories of the game (But....you only remember the good stuff right? ). I really enjoyed Wotlk, Cata not so much, however I'm really enjoying the hell outta MoP. I've now turned casual due to RL life, but I'm having a blast when I log on, and in no way do I feel forced to do anything (fingers up at you dailies haters :P ).
    Like I said, I loved TBC, but I wouldn't want it back in all honesty, happy times 5-6 years ago should stay where they are, otherwise those rose-tinted glasses might get cloudy
    Warriors in PvP are like small hyperactive children in a candy shop made of bouncy castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    I felt the same way.

And I will admit, I really miss the sprawling mess of a maze that Sunken Temple used to be... I was sad when they nerfed it down to the tiny little thing it is now. But on the other hand, I acknowledge that pugs practically never finished it in its old form and the nerf was needed for LFD - I just wish they could have preserved the old version for non-LFD runs.
    Agreed on ST all the way. Was one of my favorite instances other then Stratholme. Also running full BRD's was fun but most people nowadays have no idea how many bosses are in that joint
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post

WOW isn't being held back, WOW is what it is (the good and the bad). It's the expectation of it to be a whole lot more than it ever will be that is holding people back from enjoying their free time. Honestly if it died tomorrow we'll all flock to the next game, so if people are so disgruntled then I suggest you either go to blizzard's actual site and give constructive feedback (no offense but yours isn't constructive) or play something else.