Thread: NCAA football

Page 50 of 141 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Barner broke his thumb or something in the Oregon game.

This suddenly doesn't look good. Another defensive injury for the ducks.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 08:47 PM ----------

Fuck now Mariota is out. This is falling apart.
    Last edited by Vetali; 2012-11-11 at 04:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Even though I'm not a big fan of ND, I agree with your sentiment regarding an undefeated ND - except, they are just awful this year. The #4 ranking is an absolute gift, and completely undeserved.
    yep, they're barely even 10-0 this year, a travesty! they only beat two top ten opponents on the road? are their schedule makers even trying?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    They haven't really been tested throughout most of their season. I was a little surprised how they played last week against LSU, but now it's pretty clear that Bama was just significantly overrated.
    Ummm, let's not forget that Louisiana Tech scored 57 on that defense. Granted, Tech's defense is pretty much nonexistent, but still, Tech was the best offense they've played all season.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mariota is a monster. Surprised hes playing, his injury looked bad at first.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    If there are 3 teams that remain undefeated at the end of the season and 2 of those teams won an extra conference championship game, they should go to the championship game. ND schedule is just not as hard as Oregon or Kansas State which play in major conferences.
    Not that I'm trying to defend ND even for a passing moment here... I just have to point out that conference membership doesn't automatically translate into tougher strength of schedule. I don't think anyone with a pulse would disagree about the added merit of winning a conference championship game when hunting for a national title. The Big XII's current ten-team membership however still prohibits a conference championship game, which could negatively impact K-State's resume.

K-State and Oregon have both hurt their strength of schedule component by playing FCS opponents this season. Even though the relative numbers vary, this is reflected in the computers, unanimously, with Sagarin, Colley, Massey, and Anderson & Hester ranking ND's SOS above K. State's, and K. State's above Oregon's.

Should K.State, Oregon, and ND all win out from here, I'm guessing the final BCS standings would put Oregon and ND in Miami. If the inevitable ND love-fest lands them in the title game, I would love to watch Mariota & co. light them up.

Will K-State stumble unexpectedly against the Horns? Will Joffrey Baratheon lead USC to victory over Notre Dame? Will Mark May ever say anything remotely intelligent? Argh, it's turned into a soap opera...

I think Mark May saying something intelligent is the least likely scenario there.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Is it possible for a red shirt freshman to win the Heisman? I mean, reasonably possible? His stats are nuts - and those stats are alongside the #3 rushing offense in the country.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics

---------- Post added 2012-11-11 at 10:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    yep, they're barely even 10-0 this year, a travesty! they only beat two top ten opponents on the road? are their schedule makers even trying?
    Ok, this totally made me lol. Very good point. I'm thinking of their horrible performance against Pitt at home, but they have had some good games.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 01:44 AM ----------

New BCS out. KSt 1, Oregon 2, ND 3 with Bama back into 4th. ND will lose to USC, and if KSt loses, then it would be Oregon vs Bama for the NC.
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-11-11 at 07:34 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I completely turned my picking season around the last two weeks. I'm 28-10 against the spread moving 5 over .500 and into the 86th percentile on Yahoo. Looking forward to an inevitable 1-18 week.

Only a couple more weeks and then we get a month off between the last game and the championship. Yay for college football's schedule making zero sense at all. Can't wait to see what Oregon can do with a month to plan an offense around whoever they are facing.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Just read a great article, out of all places, Yahoo, eviscerating the BCS.

Has a red-shirt freshman ever won the Heisman?
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-11-12 at 04:44 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just read a great article out of all places, Yahoo, eviscerating the BCS.

Has a red-shirt freshman ever won the Heisman?
    Wetzel is one of the best anti-BCS writers out there. In fact he even wrote a pretty fantastic book about the BCS aptly named Death to the BCS that I would recommend reading if you enjoy these sort of eviscerations of a nonsensical system.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Wetzel is one of the best anti-BCS writers out there. In fact he even wrote a pretty fantastic book about the BCS aptly named Death to the BCS that I would recommend reading if you enjoy these sort of eviscerations of a nonsensical system.
    I've heard of that book, just didn't know the author. Hopefully the new playoff setup will go well next year.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've heard of that book, just didn't know the author. Hopefully the new playoff setup will go well next year.
    Year after next. As far as I know we still have one entire season of this bullshit left before it kicks in starting with the 2014 season. God I hope I am wrong about that though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the new format doesn't start until the 2014 season. They're meeting today to try and hammer out additional details.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Yeah, the new format doesn't start until the 2014 season. They're meeting today to try and hammer out additional details.
    Its a damn shame that isn't extended to eight teams. Someday. Someday.

---------- Post added 2012-11-12 at 04:41 PM ----------

So Washington State is being investigated for abuse of players after a player quit the team this week citing the "humiliating, belittling, and intimdation" practices used by the new coaching staff. That coaching staff is headed by Mike Leach, best known for allegedly locking a played in a closet as punishment (a claim later dropped under oath by the kid).

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Someone help me out with the Heisman analysis. Collin Klein is currently #1 on the list, but Marcus Mariota from Oregon beats him in every significant category. Why isn't Mariota even listed as a possibility?

10+ Year Old Account
    the more I hear about Mike Leach, the more he sounds like Carrie's mom, They're all gonna laugh at you! Go to your closet and pray for forgiveness!

maybe Mariota's 10 TDs in the last 2 games are a late enough push that everybody isn't aware yet, and most of the attention has been on Barner

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    the more I hear about Mike Leach, the more he sounds like Carrie's mom, They're all gonna laugh at you! Go to your closet and pray for forgiveness!

maybe Mariota's 10 TDs in the last 2 games are a late enough push that everybody isn't aware yet, and most of the attention has been on Barner
    Lol, yeah, that program could be in some serious trouble. (the Carrie's mom reference is going to have me chuckling all day)

Hopefully people will start paying attention to Mariota's numbers. He's off the charts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone help me out with the Heisman analysis. Collin Klein is currently #1 on the list, but Marcus Mariota from Oregon beats him in every significant category. Why isn't Mariota even listed as a possibility?
    Probably because the rest of the Oregon team is so good, that I could probably get decent numbers as a quarterback and I never played football. When Klein is out the quality of the team goes way down so he is basically keeping the team alive whereas Mariota is just benefiting from playing on a good team

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    The only reason people don't like McCarron is because he's not a "dual-threat", "I can run faster than my wide receivers" quarterback. And he's one of the few left on big teams that are successful at doing so. Just because he doesn't run for 1000 yards doesn't make him a bad player. There's a reason he went almost 300 throws without a pick. He's smarter on the field than most of the quarterbacks around. Oh, and he's not too bad outside the pocket. I agree he shouldn't be a consideration for Heisman (and I've said so multiple times her), but calling him bad is a terribly misguided comment.
    i don't like him because he has an average arm and poor accuracy. if you've watched one goddamn game you'd have known that. in the LSU and a&m game he missed 7(SEVEN) deep passes for TD because of accuracy, 3 were caught, 4 were missed and he missed the first one against LSU by 7 yards

7 yards

seven

that means he was off 21 feet on a pass 40yds downfield.

he is the weak link in an otherwise championship offense. backs are getting 7ypc and if you noticed the a&m game they stacked the LOS and dared mccaron to beat them and he COULD NOT DO IT

single coverage on the outside is what QBs look for, he got it ALL GAME and did nothing

why the hell you think he cried during the 4th in the LSU game? he THOUGHT he had gotten that "weak link of the offense" monkey off his back. he's awful.

one thing saban can't do is pick a decent QB out of a barrel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Probably because the rest of the Oregon team is so good, that I could probably get decent numbers as a quarterback and I never played football. When Klein is out the quality of the team goes way down so he is basically keeping the team alive whereas Mariota is just benefiting from playing on a good team
    it may or may not be true that Mariota is just the beneficiary, but since he's a freshman they tend to err in that direction, so it might be in the next couple years that he really wins everybody over and has a shot at the trophy

as far as McCarron, he just seems like the typical Alabama QB to me, its the same thing every year whichever guy they have in there, I think McCarron is just a little bit taller than the last few