Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Tuesday downtime why is WoWs longer than industry standards

Having not played WoW in 2 years and coming back this being my first Tuesday I can honestly say this is one of the worst things about blizzard.

Why is it that Blizzard is the only developer that has this ridiculous amount of downtime?

SWTOR: 2-3 hours on patch day only. Only 5 min restarts weekly.

GW2: None, patches are applied with a client restart. Servers never go down

Rift: 1-2 hours on patches only. Server restarts weekly.

WoW: 5-8 hours every week.

Note to the mod that closed my last thread, this isn't to discuss this weeks extension. This is to discuss why Blizzards is so long compared to other industry standards.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just taking a stab in the dark here, maybe because they have way more players than all those other games?
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because maintenance is maintenance and their servers probably aren't as *epic as the other games you mentioned and I could say things about the others excluding Rift.

SWTOR: Kinda going FTP and..lack of end game and such GWII: AH was done on launch day.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    WoW: 5-8 hours every week.
    Incorrect ... most of the time it is a 15minute restart.

Just because you only remember 2 or 3 weeks doesn't make your mistake valid.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    How many more servers does blizzard have compared to said games?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you left the game two years ago, why are you still poking around the forums complaining about it?

Also keep in mind the size and depth of the world they have created. It's massive. Oh.. and because they can

without trying to sound real bitchy, but i have no doubt that maintaining ALOT of servers to hold the MILLIONS of people who play this game takes time. i dont understand how people dont realise this. programming isnt simple, especially when it comes to networking

im also going to play the "wow is a 7 year old game engine in the core" card

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Just taking a stab in the dark here, maybe because they have way more players than all those other games?
    This really, not to mention there are more servers. What is so bad with a server restart on a tuesday from 5am to 11am anyway? It is only 6 hours long, and gives them plenty of time to fix bugs/apply minor patches/hotfixes etc. Not to mention the majority of people are at work/school during this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Having not played WoW in 2 years and coming back this being my first Tuesday I can honestly say this is one of the worst things about blizzard.
    The answer is, that you running into the first tuesday, and it is one which applies new content.

Over the last years WoW became very different to what you still remember. Most tuesdays are nothing but rolling restarts anymore. Downtimes from anywhere between 5 - 15 mins max.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    then why isn't it higher nwo than at 6 million subs

ANSWER: because it has jack shit to do with anything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post

Neither did your post.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    Prob because wow has 10mil+ subscribers, while the others have way less = less infrastructure (servers / UPS / etc) = less maintenance needed
    "Great men do not seek power, they have power thrust upon them."
    "A leader is judged not by the length of his reign but by the decisions he makes."
    "If the tank dies, it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies, it's the tank's fault. If the DPS dies, it's their own fault."

Deleted
    Just because some other game has less downtime, it doesn't make that game better. Or maybe because those other games crap there isn't much to update on their tiny number of servers, so their downtime is small.

Also I guess you didn't play during Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by sscavenger View Post
    If you left the game two years ago, why are you still poking around the forums complaining about it?
    well if you would read the op you would have know he came back. and this was his first thuesday.

Incredibly poor change control process.

In my line of work, you plan out every change and if it fails you revert it, and if you're not done within the window, you bring the system back up so that there's no user impact. And if you can't do that, it's considered an outage and treated as such.

The fact that they continue to label this as "Scheduled" when it's in fact now technically an "Outage" is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe having 10x as many accounts to deal with causes them to take considerably longer.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The answer is, that you running into the first tuesday, and it is one which applies new content.

Over the last years WoW became very different to what you still remember. Most tuesdays are nothing but rolling restarts anymore. Downtimes from anywhere between 5 - 15 mins max.
    the content is something we downloaded months ago. they're flipping a switch

chances are they're still working on the NUMEROUS technical bugs and since nvidia released new drivers yesterday, blizz is trying to shore up their end since they've been blaming nvidia drivers for crashes all of mop

blizz has more technical bugs right now than i've ever seen, as bad as swtor and their casting delay problem, just with more crashes, and hopefully they're doing something about that

x64 client is still in beta the way it runs, CRZ is still in a beta phase, etc

if you keep up with ownedcore you can see what they're probably working on. every few weeks they break some exploits from that site. we're all beta testers, like it or not

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post

You really think that the number of players has nothing to do with maintenance? So all that data that's saved on their servers has no affect on how long it takes to maintain?

Am I being trolled here? Seriously it's really simple. More players = more data to maintain.

And you don't think server hardware has been upgraded over the past 8 years?

Most weeks there's just a rolling restart and when Blizz does take the time for a full maintenance players foam at the mouth.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Blizzard did server checks years ago and found out that Tuesdays tend to be the day where there is lower player traffic on the servers than normal for some odd reason.

You also have to take into consideration that WoW is just bigger than SWTOR,Rift and GW2. Blizzard has some monstrously huge servers to manage on a weekly basis and Blizzard is run by people, And people make mistakes and are not perfect. Hence why we have some technical issues from time to time, Expecting perfection is just asinine.

A game that has the population of a small country -- Versus a game that is Free to play....Yeah I think the game that has the population of a small country is going to have some down-time :S