Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Diablo3 still down too, why do they put all their games on one server?

Gonna go out on a limb and say they are updating warden.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangetai420 View Post
    Just taking a stab in the dark here, maybe because they have way more players than all those other games?
    I'm going to guess this as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Well this is really blizzard's own fault.

there are currently 236 US servers, which could easily be merged down to probably somewhere around 50-75, but blizzard is notorious about never closing or merging servers ever even if they are completely dead so they can milk people for $25 server xfers
    I can see right here that we are going to become fast friends, tell me, if you hate blizzard so much, why did you come back after 2 years?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

More subscribers.
    More realms.
    Older engine.
    Day of new content being released.

Stick with it the maintenance isn't that bad. So what for a few hours you can't play the game take that time to read a book, watch a tv show/movie, play another game, spend time with the family, learn something new, do housework, or just go outside for a breather.

My job used to have it where I was off every tuesday and wednesday to take my son to preschool and pick him up since it was a four hour long class and during that downtime I still managed to survive. I picked up learning another language and I did my housework so when the game came up it I was done for the day and could relax.

more servers to maintain would be my guess

I think it is time for Blizzard to give 3 month 'vacations' to the accounts of all people who state that they are cancelling their subs in forum posts on the official forums.

Call it a customer service .... you want to cancel your sub, we will give you a head start.

Lets see how many people post cancel sub posts after that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Balazaar View Post
    If you think WoW's downtime is bad you never played Everquest back in the day. Long downtimes, bugs, crashes ... WoW is very stable and reliable in comparison.
    Povar, wow... that was a decade ago and before there was Wow... damn I'm getting old.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Deleted
    Having not played WoW in 2 years and coming back this being my first Tuesday I can honestly say this is one of the worst things about blizzard.

Why is it that Blizzard is the only developer that has this ridiculous amount of downtime?

SWTOR: 2-3 hours on patch day only. Only 5 min restarts weekly.

GW2: None, patches are applied with a client restart. Servers never go down

Rift: 1-2 hours on patches only. Server restarts weekly.

WoW: 5-8 hours every week.

Note to the mod that closed my last thread, this isn't to discuss this weeks extension. This is to discuss why Blizzards is so long compared to other industry standards.
    They have almost no downtime what so ever, servers rarely malfunction without a major patch or the like.
    And they have more players than any other MMO.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokvr1 View Post
    1. What the hell does the number of players have to do with the time it takes them to reboot their servers? They don't actually do anything to 10 million people's accounts, they just restart shit with Linux commands, clear caches, temp files, and perhaps update software and hardware (something I doubt they do every goddamn Tuesday).

2. It isn't 5 AM to 11 AM, for me here in Montreal it's 8 AM to 2 PM, because you have to add 3 hours to their EST time - and with their always extended downtime that goes all the way to 4 PM, 4:30ish. Why can't they start at 12 AM EST (3 AM East Coast) and end at something like 5AM EST (8 AM East Coast, latest 10 AM for extended)? Now THAT'S a time when freaking no one is playing the game, or when there's the lowest amount of people.

What's the point of putting Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 and WoW all on downtime during actual playable hours? Hell, why do they even need maintanence on the Diablo 3 and SC2 server, they barely have a 1.5 million players at their peak.
    i totally agreed with this post!!!!!!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haizer View Post
    hnnnngggg I love Red Dwarf.
    New seasons been good so far.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Yes, it sucks.
    No, I'm not going to whine about it like a 4 year old.
    Most weeks are just rolling restarts, this is only maybe the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen extended maintenance since MoP launched. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Easy.... They have to open gated raids. They have problems in actually finishing it. It's less exxpensive to fail for 5 weeks, than to try to actually fix it. And probably faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I think it is time for Blizzard to give 3 month 'vacations' to the accounts of all people who state that they are cancelling their subs in forum posts on the official forums.

Call it a customer service .... you want to cancel your sub, we will give you a head start.

Lets see how many people post cancel sub posts after that.
    Oh God... that would be utterly priceless, even more fun than jumping off the top of the Shrine and bear gliding to Klaxxi'vess

Well this is really blizzard's own fault.

there are currently 236 US servers, which could easily be merged down to probably somewhere around 50-75, but blizzard is notorious about never closing or merging servers ever even if they are completely dead so they can milk people for $25 server xfers
    The thing is if they did the server merges that would just make people whine about how they aren't on their server anymore. You can please some of the people all of the time but you will never please everyone.

Also lets think about this you take the 236 servers down to 75 thats about 3.25 servers so we will say 78 servers to get it closer to 3 servers being merged into one. Now that one server has tripled in its population which means the economy is about to get destroyed. Also look at illidan where anytime galleon spawns it seems to crash the server. This is something no game needs regardless of amount of subs. You wanna know what a true wow killer would be? No its wasn't swtor or gw2 or any other mmo thats been called the wow killer it would be a complete server overhaul merging servers together.

What is kind of bothering me right now is the fact that I can't play Sc2 or D3 becuase of this maintenance.

I mean why bring all your games down at the same time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I think it is because WoW is so freaking awesome that they can get away with it. Seriously...people keep asking "why does WoW do things differently than game x?".
    But whenever game x is the inferior game, I guess there is your answer. If that doesn't satisfy you, may I suggest you stick with game x, because game x clearly (in your opinion) does things better?
    /Thread

10solidchars

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    What is kind of bothering me right now is the fact that I can't play Sc2 or D3 becuase of this maintenance.

I mean why bring all your games down at the same time?
    Because Battle.net is down and all the games must connect through it to stop the evil pirates.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Those that do not understand technology should not bitch until they educate themselves. Servers, programming, data preservation, networking are things they are experts at. It is what it is, we all know about it. But if you have no clue what goes into what they do, the stfu because you literally sound stupid when you post about things you have no idea about.

Everytime you QQ, a puppy dies. SO STAHP EIT!

The better question is, World of Warcraft, is it the industry standered, or does it set it?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Incorrect ... most of the time it is a 15minute restart.

Just because you only remember 2 or 3 weeks doesn't make your mistake valid.
    Idk about you, but most Tuesdays have the 5:00am to 11am PDT maint. That's 6 standard hours, almost never less, sometimes more.

WoW has a much larger database. More players. Older servers.