Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    I cant play d3 because they are patching wow, great design.
    Except, they aren't patching WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by sscavenger View Post
    If you left the game two years ago, why are you still poking around the forums complaining about it?
    he did just get done saying he left 2 years ago and this week being his first time back, can you not read that or something?

This is the "shit happens" part of real life.
    No matter how much you plan and organise there is always something that can go wrong, and when you are opening up new content to people you kinda want to make sure it works as well as possible from the get go.

The alternative would be to not double check your work, and just piss of the customer base because things dont work the MOMENT they log in. There is no winning with this player base, always something to bitch about.

While I do get irritated at extended downtime, I also have to remember that total downtime has gone down over the last few years.

I don't know how far reaching it has been, but my friends and I (not just local friends) have been getting a severe amount of world server lag quite frequently over the last couple weeks. Had an LFR that wiped because half the raid jumped up to 2000ms world latency. Just two nights ago it was so bad that while leveling my mage, I cast a frostfire bolt that quite literally took almost two minutes to cast. By the time the world server caught up, my elemental had killed the mob I was fighting.

So as long as they fix that lag issue, I'm quite content with not being able to play today.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    really, 97.5% downtime?... that means it is up 2.5% of the time... well hell... That has to be factually correct, since we read it on the internet... but seriously... do you just make up numbers to see if someone will believe you. 2.5% up time would mean it would be up for a total of 36 minutes a day... and I'm pretty damn sure its been up far longer than that
    97.5% uptime

at first i thought you were being a smartass because you couldn't argue a valid point, but now i see you really didn't figure out that was a typo

Quote Originally Posted by Psilar View Post
    Very simple....Two reason.

They're dealing with probably older tech than say SWTOR or RIFT.
    Second, wayyyy more servers and way more fuckin inofrmation that's stored all over the place.

I personally would love to be @ Blizzard HQ when they do maintenance, would love to see it.
    Not really. The servers hosted at a Data Center should be the same for SWTOR and Rift. The Data Center in San Diego that hosts many of WoW's servers also hosts Rift, SWTOR, Facebook games and much more. The one that is in LA that hosts Myspace, Facebook, Twitter as well likes go down too and they host WoW's servers too. Even Microsoft had a major outage today with their Office365 system.

All in the information is stored in logical databases that are located at Blizzard HQ. The data center does not host any database. The reason for the hold up is not on Blizzard though, it's at the data centers. After they finish their updates than they should have no issue bringing up WoW once again. Most of today's Facebook games went down today too, at the data center I work at.

Because WoW has over 10 million players? It would be nice though if Blizzard didn't maintenance all the servers at the same time, so people who only get a couple days to play a week don't lose out by not being able to play, because server maintenance is on one of those two days. For instance: A to E servers would have maintenance on Monday, F to J would have maintenance on Tuesday, and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogie423 View Post
    While I do get irritated at extended downtime, I also have to remember that total downtime has gone down over the last few years.

I don't know how far reaching it has been, but my friends and I (not just local friends) have been getting a severe amount of world server lag quite frequently over the last couple weeks. Had an LFR that wiped because half the raid jumped up to 2000ms world latency. Just two nights ago it was so bad that while leveling my mage, I cast a frostfire bolt that quite literally took almost two minutes to cast. By the time the world server caught up, my elemental had killed the mob I was fighting.

So as long as they fix that lag issue, I'm quite content with not being able to play today.
    vanilla's downtime was worst, BC's was best at 99% uptime. it's not getting better as time goes on

10+ Year Old Account
    Well there are more servers and players in WoW, so that is why it takes longer, what I don't understand is why they can't do it at a better time.... For us living on the east coast the game comes up at 2 IF nothing goes wrong. The maintenance has been extended to 3 pm PST, which is 6 EST. My raid starts at 7, so any chance I had of getting in to do Sha or LFR to maybe pick up some pieces before the raid, went right out the window. I doubt that it will happen, but if it goes past 7 and I don't get to raid tonight, I will be hella pissed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Just wanted to say, back in Vanilla any time there was an unexpected overage they gave us a free day of game time. That doesn't happen anymore.
    To be fair, in Vanilla their idea of "unexpected overage" was like 12 hours. The longest time period the WoW servers have ever been down occurred in Vanilla WoW (nearly 2 days).

Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    vanilla's downtime was worst, BC's was best at 99% uptime. it's not getting better as time goes on
    Late BC was the high point and it is remained consistent since then. There are months with dips though when 4 tuesdays in a row have maintenance, but there are other months with only rolling restarts. Late BC alternated restarts with maintenance on a biweekly basis IIRC.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no debate here, most weeks downtime is approx. 15m at most. If you left two years ago you can't even begin to complain, as the downtime then was crazy compared to now. The game didn't even go down when MoP launched.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Deleted
    bigger game = more downtime

The servers will be up at the earliest at 5PM here in Montreal. If my estimates would go overtime like this at work I would have been fired from over 2000 jobs in the past 8 years, assuming my CV would have a magical pony as reference to covince other people to take me.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    What's your paypal address? I'll send you the .50 you paid for todays access to the game.

There's no SLA stating uptime will be 99% or anything of the like. ANY online service even states that downtime is a possiblity.
    you willing to pay that out to all 4,000,000 US players?

yeah, shit gets real then doesn't it. the reason blizz doesn't touch your weekly "lost playtime" cost with a 10 foot pole is because it would cost them millions a month do put OUR money where their mouth is

Different games have different technical mumbo jumbo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.

This community is amazing. Wonder why they chose to automate stupid support tickets.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

I love downtime just because reading the Blizzard forums is so delightful. So many bitter entitled people demanding things, good laughs.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Are you compensated when you lose Internet? Phone? TV? Electric? Water? Didn't think so.

*Oh, before anyone says they are, if and ONLY if you bitch to them do they potentially do ANYTHING, and that's very, very unlikely still.
    Agreed. If you do get compensated if the problem is on their end and you did not have service for a certain period of time. For us, if we didn't have access to WoW's servers for a full day than I can see them doing this, but it's only been a few hours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post

SWTOR: 2-3 hours on patch day only. Only 5 min restarts weekly.

Note to the mod that closed my last thread, this isn't to discuss this weeks extension. This is to discuss why Blizzards is so long compared to other industry standards.
    You've really not played SWTOR much if you believe that to be the truth.

Deleted
    WoW isn't an industry standard and as such doesn't fit into industry standards.