Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Is F2P worth it just for the story?

If I want to pretend SWTOR is the KOTOR 3+ set of games that I will never get, and play it as a single player RPG, will F2P allow me to do just that? I'm not interested in Warzones, Flashpoints and anything else (I don't understand most of these terms anyway), just the ability to experience the story unhindered.

Yay or nay?

15+ Year Old Account
    Very much so. I've been subbed since release. I don't do anything up to max level except enjoy the stories. I can't play much so I only have 2 level 50's, but it's free, go for it. Well written.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Yeah pretty much. You will finish your class specific quest lines around level 50. So if you are only after story, could play all the storylines for each class and not pay a penny.

Just keep in mind that even though each class has their own quest lines, they still share the same questing areas (mostly), and thus the same "go kill X number of X monster" quests.

Deleted
    Yes, that should be no problem at all.
    The swtor story is great btw, sorry I mean awesome.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay.
    However F2P receive less XP than subscribers if im not mistaken, you also only have 2 quickbars to use and only 5 field revives (if you die) to spend.
    I think those are the more cumbersome restrictions. Some others like bag space and bank acess are standard in F2P limitations.

Deleted
    Yes it is deffo

Quote Originally Posted by Mirve View Post
    Yay.
    However F2P receive less XP than subscribers if im not mistaken, you also only have 2 quickbars to use and only 5 field revives (if you die) to spend.
    I think those are the more cumbersome restrictions. Some others like bag space and bank acess are standard in F2P limitations.
    Sounds like levelling a toon on a new server with no heirlooms or gold for support (I play WoW).

I can work with that.

most of the flashpoints have a quite intresting story imo so if you can do flashpoints at all with f2p then try do some of them.
    I have not played kotor but i believe the flashpoint Maelstrom prison got some Kotor story in it. (and if you cant find grp just go there once ur 10lvls over the instance lvl and see the story )

Also some of the flashpoints are tied into events and characters from KOTOR so you should do them as well (especially the ones around level 35-40)

Hey there. I came to this game with the same attitude, and I just have to tell you one thing:

... You DO want to do the flashpoints, at least once each... Trust me...

Yes, while Flashpoints are not really at all satisfying from the boss difficulty and mechanics standpoint, they are decently written and awesomelly designed.

Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    If I want to pretend SWTOR is the KOTOR 3+ set of games that I will never get, and play it as a single player RPG, will F2P allow me to do just that? I'm not interested in Warzones, Flashpoints and anything else (I don't understand most of these terms anyway), just the ability to experience the story unhindered.

Yay or nay?
    Its completely worth it as a single person RPG.

Do the jedi knight quest if you want Kotor 3.

That is Kotor 3.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-11-14 at 12:32 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    Sounds like levelling a toon on a new server with no heirlooms or gold for support (I play WoW).

I can work with that.
    No. It's like leveling a new toon where they double the XP you need to level. Having no heirlooms would mean it's the normal amount of time. The leveling time was increased for F2P. Additionally, you won't have access to all your abilities past a certain point because you won't have enough action bars for them. Any quest where you die within areas of dense mobs will be frustrating and cumbersome, as you will have to reclear them all to proceed. There is no 'run back to your body' here.

Additionally, your ability to do anything other than grind quests (which you might actually run out of with this new system) is limited. Little flashpoints, PvP, etc to boost your experience and give you a break from questing.

The story is worth it, but not with those restrictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

Exactly my thoughts. I was under the mistaken impression myself that the F2P version of TOR would basically just be the primarily single-player portions of the game (the class quests and such) with the end-game MMO stuff ripped out, which I was totally cool with. Recently, however, both from watching the official F2P videos and reading up on the restrictions elsewhere (including these forums), I've learned that, while you do have the ability to level from 1-50, you do so whilst being restricted in a far greater manner than even one would be in the current free trial that just takes you to level 15, and that's just ridiculous.

Deleted
    No. It's like leveling a new toon where they double the XP you need to level. Having no heirlooms would mean it's the normal amount of time. The leveling time was increased for F2P. Additionally, you won't have access to all your abilities past a certain point because you won't have enough action bars for them. Any quest where you die within areas of dense mobs will be frustrating and cumbersome, as you will have to reclear them all to proceed. There is no 'run back to your body' here.

Additionally, your ability to do anything other than grind quests (which you might actually run out of with this new system) is limited. Little flashpoints, PvP, etc to boost your experience and give you a break from questing.

most of these can be solved by a small investment. 1 extra account-wide actionbar is 540 coins, which, if you buy those coins, also gives you preferred status, alleviating some restrictions and removing others. that 1 extra action bar should alleviate a lot of issues. you don't need to have every skill on your hotbar, especially if you are just interested in questing. for example, buffs can be applied from the spellbook, as can some other skills you don't use.

Deleted
    It's worth it imo. If you want to pay literally nothing then you get a great game 1-50. The story is worth it (twice) as you can level up one class of each faction without too much overlap. Roughly 400 hrs of free content.

EDIT: 400 hrs will take a casual player about a year to go through. Again, for free.
    Last edited by mmoc3d23c7f243; 2012-11-14 at 02:59 PM.

You will NOT run out of quests...no way, no how !

Since it costs you nothing, just try it. Why would you even listen to anyone on these boards ;P? (Yes, even me!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    You will NOT run out of quests...no way, no how !
    He means you have like a daily cap on the number of quests you can do.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    A daily cap on quests? Explain please.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    No, I totally meant that with no rested, and half the xp gain you could potentially run out of quests. Without boosts and legacy perks, unlimited FPs/WZs, you may find yourself in a sticky situation. People are forgetting that they are decreasing the rate that F2P earns XP. They are effectively doubling the time it will take to level.

Though dear lord, it would be terrible if they actually limited what you could do a day.