Razer Tiamat 7.1

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-tiamat-71

I want it, I want it so bad!

But I would like to know if anyone here have experience with it? Is it as good as they say?

So far im happy with razer products, firs the naga and then megalodon wich I though was amazing and lasted about 1.5 year before I broke it (USB where haning outside the car lol)

Most reviews says its really good sound quallity, but I just though Id hear what you guys think of it

and yes I know its expensive but I dont mind

- Warex

PS: Im currently using my MB's soundcard, anyone knows if http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=44075 will support 7.1? If not, maybe recommend a not too expensive 7.1 card
    Last edited by warex00; 2012-11-12 at 08:07 AM.

Ive heard quite different. I have heard that the mic section is quite bad. But thats all i have heard... I have a Chimera since i use it on my xbox and so far no probs
    "Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable."
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

General George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by warex00 View Post
    http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-tiamat-71

I want it, I want it so bad!

But I would like to know if anyone here have experience with it? Is it as good as they say?

So far im happy with razer products, firs the naga and then megalodon wich I though was amazing and lasted about 1.5 year before I broke it (USB where haning outside the car lol)

Most reviews says its really good sound quallity, but I just though Id hear what you guys think of it

and yes I know its expensive but I dont mind

- Warex

PS: Im currently using my MB's soundcard, anyone knows if http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=44075 will support 7.1? If not, maybe recommend a not too expensive 7.1 card
    ", 8 Channel HD Audio." Dolby 7.1 = 8 channels. basically you have 3 speakers on left and right and 1 in the middle + a bass channel, this is how surround sound is created.(Side note, Headsets no matter how they are set cannot be real 7.1 audio, all directional sound is simulated as it is 1 inch or less from your ear its not in any real direction.) Beyond that 1.5 years is not even remotely good for life span of good headphones/mic. You are more likely to see a quality product last ages, i.e my 55 yr old father has a 30~ year old pair of seinheiser headphones still kicking. He did a lot of mixing for local bands and actual concerts in his time, he does not handle these things with extra caution either. Razer Tiamat is probably around $100 overpriced basically meaning the $80~ headsets you see on newegg are likely very similar in quality better in quality or identical.

Also no you would not need a special sound card at all, the onboard mixamp should handle that, this is why they work on Xbox/Ps3.

10+ Year Old Account
    /Gets directed to Australian site because of living in Aus.
    /See's price
    /Tableflip/break.

AU$259.95. Get the fuck out.. Do want American prices

Deleted
    I owned one until it broke down (unfortunately), and here's my experience with it.

At first glance I have to say that I love the look of it, it's comfortable and stink quality. I bought a creative 7.1 soundblaster internal soundcard to go with it to maximize my experience with it.

Once hooked up with the soundcard and settings in touch, all I have to say is that it's probably the best 7.1 sound out there now. I played Diablo 3, WoW, Modern Warfare 3, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. & Battlefield 3 along with other games. The sound was crystal clear and I could here everthing, even sounds I didn't think existed.

The microphone is terrible, really, it's horrid. Now, the tiamat uses something called in-line which basically is the same as a microphone jack except that it's something else (my friend who is a computer tech helped me to realize this), so for people without 7.1 audio you're going to sound terrible, and for people who use say, 2.1 you're going to sound "meh". A $10 microphone is better than the tiamats built in.

Now, I picked mine up in june, and the microphone broke down in august. Took it to the store and they did a repair check. It was as good as dead (not the first Razer product I've own that has just crashed like that). So I ended up getting a full refund ($200) and picked up a pair of Steelseries Siberia V2's instead for less than half the price.

In conclusion I would like to say that you get alot less than you pay for, it's a very good headset, but it feels like they could've made at least the microphone better since it's bottlenecking the entire headset. If you're only an audiophile, it's worth every penny.

TL;DR: It's "ok", mic is crap. Get a soundcard to get the max out of it. Expect it to break down.

I do enjoy your product review, but it is nowhere on par w/ the best. It is more in line w/ extremely cheap, but Ill agree razer has a way about making things look amazing.

Upon just reading a few reviews sound quality is considered on par or inferior to Corsair Vengeance 1500 which is 100% virtual 7.1 w/ oversized drivers, where as the tiamat has undersized drivers and a ton of them. 7.1 no matter what on a headset is a gimmick and ill guarntee the cheapest pair of seinheisers will sound better. I play battlefield 3 in full surround sound, 7.1 and 5.1 combined. Normal surround + gaming chair, into a receiver/amp. Vengeance 1500's do not sound anywhere near the same quality, nor is the footsteps etc anywhere near as precise. On headset I can tell your coming from my left, on full true surround I can hear if its my direct left back left front left etc etc etc.

Astro A40's would be the tip top of the line "gaming" 7.1 headset however still its not really worth the pricetag outside of being pretty.

Appreciate the feedback. @ Milkshake86: I broke my previous headset because I let the usb cable suck in the door, getting facesmahsed by the road for about an hour Should have just fixed it, but I sent it in for return and never got back, most likely lost. But I cba that.

Already ordered the headset, its about 280$ where I live. Reason for buying it pretty much every single review says its audio quallity is amazing. I can simply just buy a tabletop mic for 20$ and because I do enjoy the awsome look of most of the razer gear

Also, im a person who can sit up for a few days in a row gaming(weekends etc) so a headset wich is comfy is a big prior, and this one seems verry comfy

-warex

Appreciate the feedback. @ Milkshake86: I broke my previous headset because I let the usb cable suck in the door, getting facesmahsed by the road for about an hour Should have just fixed it, but I sent it in for return and never got back, most likely lost. But I cba that.

Already ordered the headset, its about 280$ where I live. Reason for buying it pretty much every single review says its audio quallity is amazing. I can simply just buy a tabletop mic for 20$ and because I do enjoy the awsome look of most of the razer gear

Also, im a person who can sit up for a few days in a row gaming(weekends etc) so a headset wich is comfy is a big prior, and this one seems verry comfy

-warex
    *gasp* [CAPS]You bought a razer product for a gazzillion dollars with the premise that it's good sounding?![/CAPS]

You're also okay with buying a seperate mic?

Damn, you made a bad choice. Reviewers kinda have to say that the sound quality is amazing to keep their jobs. I havent seen a single site that does critically review peripherals, so checking reviews out is kinda a bad idea IMHO. Second of all, if you wanted pure audio quality you should've gone with a pair of headphones in that price range, you would've gotten something that both sounds better and doesnt break.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

5.1 or 7.1 headphones are a gimmick. If you're interested in pure sound quality don't even look into that direction.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    5.1 or 7.1 headphones are a gimmick. If you're interested in pure sound quality don't even look into that direction.
    I tried explaining this, true 7.1 surround sound does not sound like a tiamat or my vengeance 1500's, I highly doubt the tiamat is worth the $180 pricetag, and I'd have went w/ Astro A40's if I wanted pretty and expensive not to mention the mixamp on the a40's is a bit better and the overall build is better. Idk why you'd buy a cheap overpriced headset and then probably a cheap tabletop microphone and kaboom now you have horrid distortion and feedback, but anyways watch livestreams if you have trouble hearing the host talking he has tiamats on.

First of all. I do like the 5.1/7.1 surround, its epic for FPS games, you simply cant argue that. Been using a 5.1 speaker system for 4 years, and its awsome, but cba buying a 7.1. using headphones most of the times anyways.

Also, I got no plans on making any vids/livestreams so mic isnt a problem. and if I would do it, I would get a proper mic, like most people do

First of all. I do like the 5.1/7.1 surround, its epic for FPS games, you simply cant argue that. Been using a 5.1 speaker system for 4 years, and its awsome, but cba buying a 7.1. using headphones most of the times anyways.

Also, I got no plans on making any vids/livestreams so mic isnt a problem. and if I would do it, I would get a proper mic, like most people do
    Surround sound is epic...headphones any sort is not near as epic. I have 7.2 dual bass channels no headset compares, Ill hear you down the road b4 u even know Im spawned.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Surround sound is epic...headphones any sort is not near as epic. I have 7.2 dual bass channels no headset compares, Ill hear you down the road b4 u even know Im spawned.
    What he (and I) tries to say is:

Having good 2.0 headphones and setting the game to a fake surround sound mode will give the same positional info as any gimmick 5.1 or 7.1 heaphones. Razer Megalodon headphones are mechanically 2.0 but the box on the cable creates fake virtual surround sound on a software.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    What he (and I) tries to say is:

Having good 2.0 headphones and setting the game to a fake surround sound mode will give the same positional info as any gimmick 5.1 or 7.1 heaphones. Razer Megalodon headphones are mechanically 2.0 but the box on the cable creates fake virtual surround sound on a software.
    It's also impossible to have true 5.1-7.1 etc on your head, first off there is no center channel nor can there be. Secondly you would require a single subwoofer, so even if you have 3 left 3 right, you'd need a center channel which is 1 speaker in the center of the room and 1 subwoofer. The fact is all 5.1/7.1 headsets are VIRTUAL dolby not true surround, and the sound quality is heavily lacking on any 5.1/7.1 headset period, no matter how much you paid you essentially bought a prettier $60 headset.