Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Why doesn't blizzard do something like GW2 Gems?

"gems" are only generated when bought with $ from blizzard.
    Players can sell gems for Gold to other players
    Players can buy gems for Gold from other players
    Gems can be used for server xfers/race change/faction chage/pets/mounts/subscriptions
    The more people selling gems the less gold they cost
    The fewer people selling gems the more gold they cost

Benefits: Cuts down on gold sellers, allows people free (someone else pays) server transfers/faction change/race change/pets/mounts/gametime

Cons: noobs would scream pay to win even though its not.
    Last edited by Mercarcher; 2012-11-15 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodias View Post
    I left Arenanet before this system was implemented (I was part of their Events QA team). Let me ask you, how are the gems acquired. Last I had heard (this was 2 years ago before the first Gamescom demo was done) players would spend real money to get the gems, then they could use the gems for in game services. Is that still how it works?
    Yes gems are 800 for $10

Deleted
    You can already use money acquired in D3 RMAH for your other Blizzard games. But allowing to buy gold legally is a nono... its a subscription based MMO, and not the 2 months one-hit wonder like GW2.

What are the benefits? You sell a game item for real money for....what purpose? Once in the game, it's only shuffling gold around or acting as a middle man for the actual services you're wanting.

Want server transfer > Pay for server transfer
    or
    Want server transfer > Pay for items > Use items for server transfer

I suppose the exception is players can devote game time to acquire gold to buy services essentially in exchange for play time, but is there really an inherent benefit to doing so? It encourages the additional accumulation of gold only to shuffled said gold around player accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    You can already use money acquired in D3 RMAH for your other Blizzard games. But allowing to buy gold legally is a nono... its a subscription based MMO, and not the 2 months one-hit wonder like GW2.
    EVE has used the system successfully for many years. People can sell game time cards on the AH

Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    EVE has used the system successfully for many years. People can sell game time cards on the AH
    Just like WoW's current system has worked successfully for many years, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Deleted
    This systems may work in smaller games, but they dont really do anything if you've more people involved - see TERA, tried to implement the same system as EVE.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Just like WoW's current system has worked successfully for many years, eh?
    but its not really working any more. Blizzard is stagnant. They are up for sale (and no one wants them). They need to do something and this would entice a lot of people being able to fully play the game for free.

10+ Year Old Account
    but its not really working any more. Blizzard is stagnant. They are up for sale (and no one wants them). They need to do something and this would entice a lot of people being able to fully play the game for free.
    Millions of subs... and it's nopt working? What color is the sky in your world?

10+ Year Old Account
    I would think it's pretty simple...they don't want to implement something where people can legally buy gold with real money. If they buy gems with real money and then convert the gems to gold it's the same thing.

Besides, I played GW2 and the conversion rate was not what I would call superb. There were still gold sellers everywhere clogging up my chat boxes and mail boxes.

but its not really working any more. Blizzard is stagnant.
    Maintaining such a large subscriber base in the face of all the competition, and being able to continue using a monthly subscribtion model, are two massive strengths of world of warcraft as a business.

And believe me, i'm in the business of monetizing video games.

In EVE online, the reason the system works is that the entire game is geared towards the economy. You fight FOR the economy, because you want to control resources and such. In WOW, the economy is largely secondary. Even gear can't be properly obtained with in-game gold.

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Millions of subs... and it's nopt working? What color is the sky in your world?
    Actiblizz stocks have been stagnant since the merger. Their owner is trying to sell them, but no one is even interested in buying them. Without changes to something to get actiblizzard making more money they are probably gonna eventually be sold off just for their IPs (CoD, Warcraft, Diablo, Starcraft) to do a preemptive cut on their losses.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They are up for sale (and no one wants them).

I can't even begin to reply on how dumb that comment is.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I can't even begin to reply on how dumb that comment is.
    Vivendi has been trying to sell their 61% share of ATVI since August. They have approached every major game publisher from Microsoft to EA to Disney and not a single one has been interested in buying them.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I see two problems with that.

1. Gems are just a middle man for what we do with real money now.

2. Gems are fine giving stats for gear.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10 million+ isn't working anymore.

Huh.

Just cuz you don't play anymore doesn't mean it's not working for everyone else.

You also realize Blizzard combining with Activision has LITERALLY NOTHING to do with WoW, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Vivendi has been trying to sell their 61% share of ATVI since August. They have approached every major game publisher from Microsoft to EA to Disney and not a single one has been interested in buying them.
    The reason they are trying to sell the stock is for tax reasons. Vivendi has too much "solid stock" and not enough liquid assets atm. They are looking into buying 3-4 new companies and can not do so with out the "liquid" assets.

Deleted
    I would like it a lot, but Blizzard's not gonna do that, they would lose a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I would like it a lot, but Blizzard's not gonna do that, they would lose a lot of money.
    How would they lose any money? They would be making more money.

The dude doesn't understand that GW2 gems is an income that (sort of) compensates lack of subscription fee.

Mercarcher is hilarious though. One of the most profitable games at this moment is "stagnant" and the owners are selling shitty company called Blizzard. Damn, right. Sell this crap.