Page 48 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I would be almost fascinated to see what you consider not "biased."
    The irony in this is astounding. How long until you start bashing fox news again?

Ruk, just click the link, scroll to the bottom and read what people work in the financial industry have to say. They can break it down much better than me since they understand the loopholes used.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    The irony in this is astounding. How long until you start bashing fox news again?

Ruk, just click the link, scroll to the bottom and read what people work in the financial industry have to say. They can break it down much better than me since they understand the loopholes used.
    I actually have been reading. He is doing a good job of shooting critiques full of holes. I also couldn't help but laugh at your "really bias article" comment since at the top its says, "Rick Ungar, Contributor, Writing from the left on politics and policy." So, of course its "biased." Not to mention that someone claiming to work in the "Financial Industry," does not mean they actually do. Nor would it, in any way, grant their opinion any inherently greater level of credibility.

Or is this like the unbiased cell phone claim that, of course, must be entirely "accurate."
    Last edited by SirRobin; 2012-11-14 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Wording
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Not that I condone the entire thing, but capturing and bringing Saddam Hussein to justice for his war crimes against humanity was a positive outcome.
    Calling it Positive outcome will be too much of stretch. Since, without him the power vacuum has resulted. Corrupt officials are filling the posts of power. More deaths than Saddam was doing anyway. I suppose you can call it a positive outcome from idealized or moral point of view as we brought down a tyrant. But you would have to ignore we are not white knights either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Yeah, if Texas were to leave, and it won't, then yeah, a lot of that stuff would just flee to other states, but it's silly to think that Texas offers nothing of value currently.
    Don't get me wrong, I have been to Texas many times, and it is a large and fertile State. Austin Texas has many things I am use to in California (Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf) All in all If it wasn't for the bats and humidity I could live there. The biggest problem with Texas is the Texas ego, say I'm wrong I dare you disagree that Texas does not have the biggest ego of any state, and in some cases several states combined. In the hypothetical Texas become independent and extreme right wingers move in, which is what would happen. Many of the gains Texas has made in the last 20 years will be lost, and it could take 60 years before Texas became the economic power house it wants to be. Granted it would be a miserable place to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Uh...not being caught kinda implies there is no evidence.
    I imagine the evidence would be a dead dictator.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I have been to Texas many times, and it is a large and fertile State. Austin Texas has many things I am use to in California (Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf) All in all If it wasn't for the bats and humidity I could live there. The biggest problem with Texas is the Texas ego, say I'm wrong I dare you disagree that Texas does not have the biggest ego of any state, and in some cases several states combined. In the hypothetical Texas become independent and extreme right wingers move in, which is what would happen. Many of the gains Texas has made in the last 20 years will be lost, and it could take 60 years before Texas became the economic power house it wants to be. Granted it would be a miserable place to live.
    Texas's ego could sink Great Britain, it's true. You can't walk two steps without tripping over a Texas flag or a Texas Lone Star, or an advertisement appealing to the Texas ego. There's no question of that. Texas is very good about building a story and an image around itself that it then very effectively markets to itself and to other parts of the world. That results in a negative image in some people's minds and a positive image in others.

I really hated the Texas ego when I first moved here 6 years ago, and it was even harder being from California, which has a very different type of huge ego of its own. I've lived here long enough now, though, that it just kind of fades into the background.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by vaeevictiss View Post
    really?! The debt is 100% bush? Obama almost doubled the debt since he took office...

Did you get your facts from CNN? Shame on you.
    I haven't watched any television since 2002, I have the internet. I've had high speed internet since 2000, I download my visual entertainment. I get my news from direct sources on the internet. Honestly why would I watch filtered opinions claiming to be news when I can pull up AP, BBC, Mosaic, FOX, CNN, ABC, CBS, NYT, LAT, and all the other news agencies in the world. I can look at both sides of an argument and come to my own conclusions with out having to watch an actor tell me what to think.

Make your own opinions on the Dept, but when Bush came into office their was no debt. Clinton balanced the books first president to do so in fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    civil war was all about states rights.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Make your own opinions on the Dept, but when Bush came into office their was no debt. Clinton balanced the books first president to do so in fact.

Deficit, I think you mean.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you read the article? The author used very creative math.
    Yes read that article and it is mostly accurate, however I would have to say part of the reason for the lack of spending is the lack of getting anything done in Congress and the Senate, the last 4 years saw the least amount of work by both houses ever in history. p.s. the reason is the Republicans refused to do anything and voted no on everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Calling it Positive outcome will be too much of stretch. Since, without him the power vacuum has resulted. Corrupt officials are filling the posts of power. More deaths than Saddam was doing anyway. I suppose you can call it a positive outcome from idealized or moral point of view as we brought down a tyrant. But you would have to ignore we are not white knights either.
    I've read, and seen documentations that went to the bottom of this whole thing...
    One can look at it from two angles.
    First angle is, Saddam was a tyrant, and deserved to be taken out of power, as well as he deserved to pay for his crimes.
    Second angle is a tad more difficult... Iraq has a tremendously long history. It's not called the cradle of civilization for no reason.
    They went through lots of stages within their history and culture. That plays a big part in the difficulty westerners face when they try to bring them their western culture. You can't simply disregard 4000+ years of culture and history just like that.
    Additionally the country has for ages territories ran by different tribes. Those tribes aren't getting along very well, or at times not at all.
    The results of it is bloodshed. Killing each other over power was a daily given. Until Saddam came and took power.
    He ruled with an iron fist, if we want to call it that. He forced inner peace, if necessary with brutal force. Any tribe that did not obey was taught a lesson.
    We certainly don't approve of his methods. We see him as a murderer of innocent people. And we may very well be right.
    But many in Iraq seen him as a protector. Now that he is gone, the situation is as it was before he came to power.
    The doors are wide open for everything to start all over again.
    How to change that? No idea.... Not with the approach we've had so far. Since that apparently doesn't work.

So from there.. Looking at both sides of the story.. Was it a good outcome? Was it even good to remove him?
    From my western cultural influenced views I have to say yes. From the attempt of a neutral standpoint, I have to say I don't know.

If Texas leaves the Union, it will be annexed by Mexico within a year. Is that really what you want, Texans?

Quote Originally Posted by LuminousAether View Post
    If Texas leaves the Union, it will be annexed by DRUG CARTELS within a year. Is that really what you want, Texans?
    this sounds more like it

10+ Year Old Account
    If Texas leaves the Union, it will be annexed by Mexico within a year. Is that really what you want, Texans?
    Texas won't leave the union, but even if it did, Mexico isn't exactly the type of country to want to annex anything anymore. It's just not their style, even if their military was a match for what Texas could muster.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    Or is this like the unbiased cell phone claim that, of course, must be entirely "accurate."
    Internet chatter claiming that Obama gave cell phones to welfare recipients contained a tiny grain of truth.

Tiny grain of truth? Do they get cell phones or not? PoLOLitico at its finest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stay serious here lol.

What if texas took over mexico? Im sure the people wouldnt mind since they all wanna move to texas anyways. Win win for the mexican people. Lose lose for the cartels and corrupt elected officials.

10+ Year Old Account
    Internet chatter claiming that Obama gave cell phones to welfare recipients contained a tiny grain of truth.

Tiny grain of truth? Do they get cell phones or not? PoLOLitico at its finest.
    Obama did not give cell phones to anyone but his kids. Cell phones were handed out as an attempt to help people find jobs. These people needed help, not play angry bird, but to help find jobs. What Obama did push was veteran job assistance bill, which never even made it for him to find jobs. It seems like we want government to help with jobs, but when they do try, be it cell phones or veteran assistance, there is a blockade.

10+ Year Old Account
    What if texas took over mexico? Im sure the people wouldnt mind since they all wanna move to texas anyways. Win win for the mexican people. Lose lose for the cartels and corrupt elected officials.
    I think you underestimate Mexican nationalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I think you underestimate Mexican nationalism.
    i think he also underestimates cartels. these days they specialize in devastating small countries