Thread: [MW] Chi Wave

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

[MW] Chi Wave

I've been going over ranked logs, mostly 25 mans and 10 heroics, and I don't see anyone that uses this ability. Uplift appears to be such a massive amount of healing that I don't understand why one would opt to use chi on this ability. Can someone explain why it is considered a viable option?

You don't chose between Chi Wave and Uplift.. you chose between Chi Wave and Chi Burst.

Both are pretty situational, and quite honestly, none are competitive with uplift in terms of effective healing since renewing mists is always on the most injured target, so you always heal the most injured people by using uplift if you use renewing mist on cooldown obviously.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

10+ Year Old Account
    I use it on CD in 10 man H, the tank healing it does is crazy. I know uplift the majority of the time is a better choice but the fact is we suck at tank healing and chi wave really is king on this, also the dmg is quite amazing by the end of the fight. I know I'll get hate but it's my favourite healing ability and I couldn't imagine healing without it

I meant you have to chose which to spend Chi on.

---------- Post added 2012-11-14 at 10:13 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jake5467 View Post
    I use it on CD in 10 man H, the tank healing it does is crazy. I know uplift the majority of the time is a better choice but the fact is we suck at tank healing and chi wave really is king on this, also the dmg is quite amazing by the end of the fight. I know I'll get hate but it's my favourite healing ability and I couldn't imagine healing without it
    Can you link a log? I'm more so interested in raid healing though.

Quote Originally Posted by rmlunsford View Post
    I've been going over ranked logs, mostly 25 mans and 10 heroics, and I don't see anyone that uses this ability. Uplift appears to be such a massive amount of healing that I don't understand why one would opt to use chi on this ability. Can someone explain why it is considered a viable option?
    Take a close look at how much it heals for 2 Chi. I did some math in this post to show the difference in healing per Chi of Enveloping Mists to Chi Wave, and it came out that if all you care about is tank healing (since you wouldn't be using Chi Wave to heal anyone else, as pretty much every other spell would be better), they come out to roughly the same with Chi Wave having the potential to not actually go to the tank and the requirement that whatever is being tanked be vulnerable to spells (since an Immune stops it entirely), and be within 20 yards of the tank for the entire duration of the Chi Wave. While not terribly likely that any of those circumstances would occur, you don't even gain anything over using Enveloping anyways despite those risks.

As a direct answer to the OP, it shouldn't be considered a viable option, Chi Burst is pretty much the only usable talent in that tier right now. They can't be balanced for PvE because if Chi Wave did any more healing per Chi than Enveloping, it would be OP in PvP where cast times matter.
    Last edited by Totaltotemic; 2012-11-15 at 12:21 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're looking for raid healing, you should be choosing between Chi Burst and Uplift. Uplift if ReM is on 10 or more targets > Chi Burst on 6 or more targets > Uplift.

Chi Wave doesn't really have a use case for tank healing where Enveloping Mists isn't better, except maybe to stack with Enveloping for heavy burst healing.

Chi Wave and Uplift cost the same yet Uplift is instant and heals everyone with Renewing mist. Chi wave takes a while as it bounces it back and forth healing allies and also hitting enemies. I would recommend using chi wave for heroics and 10 man but prefer chi burst in 25mans. Set a macro so you only have to mouseover as i find my top 3 healing abilities in 25mans to be 1) Renewing Mist 2) Chi Burst 3) Chi Torpedo

Quote Originally Posted by Spotnick View Post
    You don't chose between Chi Wave and Uplift.. you chose between Chi Wave and Chi Burst.

Both are pretty situational, and quite honestly, none are competitive with uplift in terms of effective healing since renewing mists is always on the most injured target, so you always heal the most injured people by using uplift if you use renewing mist on cooldown obviously.
    Sorry but the part about Chi Burst not beeing competitive with Uplift is wrong, and needs to be corrected - at least from a 25m pov (for 10m, sure, Uplift wins)

Chi Burst > Uplift, on the top of my head :
    1. Feng
    2. Garalaj
    3. Elegon (phase 4)
    4. Hof 1 boss (bubble healing)
    5. Garalon (granted you can position).

Quote Originally Posted by DirewolfX View Post
    If you're looking for raid healing, you should be choosing between Chi Burst and Uplift. Uplift if ReM is on 10 or more targets > Chi Burst on 6 or more targets > Uplift.
    Do you have any math to back this up? Because I'm quite desperately looking for something to base my healing decisions on

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisKoe View Post
    Do you have any math to back this up? Because I'm quite desperately looking for something to base my healing decisions on
    Looking at my #s now:
    Chi Burst: 51713 - 52751 (avg 52232)
    Uplift: 30714 - 32117 (avg 31415.5)

Chi Burst max healing: 52232 * 6 = 313392 (after 6, it splits healing due to AoE cap)
    Uplift 9: 31415.5 * 9 = 282739.5
    Uplift 10: 31415.5 * 10 = 314155

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/146070/

Theres the logs that have chi wave usage, check any boss you are interested in

Deleted
    I like to use it on the first boss in HoF during attuneation when you have to run around.

But yeah it's situational for a healer, as a tank or dps it's the only heal from that tier I like
    Last edited by mmocf822e2265a; 2012-11-15 at 01:33 PM.

Chi Wave is a very efficient tank heal, and I wouldn't two heal any boss without it. But this is from a fistweaver's view, if you are channeling SM you are rather chi starved and probably will rather rely on surging mist.

I've been using Chi Wave more lately, and particularly in 10m. Chi Burst does basically the same thing as Uplift. But I already have Uplift, so the times when I would Chi Burst I can just hit Uplift instead. In 10m RM is on 8-9 targets or even all 10 if I TFT, so it even removes the annoying positional effects that come with Chi Burst if I just hit Uplift instead.

Having Chi Wave allows me something entirely different to spend Chi on beyond aoe healing. There are times, shocking as it may sound, when aoe damage is low but single or double target damage is high. For those times, you'd want to use neither Uplift nor Chi Burst. It's those times when Chi Wave becomes strong.

Bottom line: Chi Wave adds another tool, Chi Burst adds a duplicate of a tool you already have.

10+ Year Old Account
    it seems like Chi Burst and Uplfit differentiate on target spread.
    Renewing mists can be glyphed to have a 40 Yard Spread so on spread fight RNM+Uplift is the only option
    but on Stacked Fights, especially in 25 man content, Spinning Crane Kick+Chi Burst is stronger

and in solo content and 5-man heroric Chi Wave is more efficient since it hit fewer targers more strongly.

If i was a dedicated tank healer for a fight (and that is a horrible idea, to begin with) i would use Zen Sphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    If i was a dedicated tank healer for a fight (and that is a horrible idea, to begin with) i would use Zen Sphere.
    Chi Wave is better than Zen Sphere for tank healing.

Zen Sphere is crap, for just about everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not crap, it is what it is. The nice thing about zen sphere is you only have to use once every 15 seconds if you use strictly as a HoT.

it's a stabilizer like Holy Shield, and you can control which target it heals, Chi Wave is an oligo-target heal. not a tank heal. and you can hardly control whom it heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    There are no dedicated tank healers in 10m. Everyone will look after everything, depending on class strengths of course. Zen Sphere is just another hot, and not able to quickly heal a tank up, while chi wave perfectly fills that gap. I also assume it is rather a tool for fistweavers, as they usually have more chi to spare than caster MWs and since the low travel speed of chi wave is an issue for a quick tank heal it will not work if you are 30m away from the tank. It bounces very fast when targeted at a tank/melee, it literally brings him to full health within two seconds.

You can determine the first one to be healed, and if there is someone in range who is lower than the tank it also is a good thing that it will heal him. But from my experience, 90% of the healing done by chi wave in 10 player mode is on the tank, and the rest is because I initially targeted someone else.

Ok so ultimately I posted this after going over some logs for our mistweaver. We are a 25m and I just couldn't figure out why numbers were so low. After comparing our mistweaver to others, I noticed that no top numbers in 25s had chi wave. Either uplift or chi burst was the top heal. I also noticed that thunder focus tea is never used in our monks logs. I have linked some here, please help. We are currently working on Garalon and having the monk do 100k heals instead of 50k would be pretty sweet.

reports/sn95r3sm9ifwolu2/sum/healingDone/?s=9080&e=9600

10+ Year Old Account
    well as i said, being a dedicated tank healer is a terrible idea,

and i am only half heartedly defending ZS anyway, at the moment i use Chi Wave for 5-man and 10-man content.