Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Would you say it is better if you consume sugar rather than fructose glucose syrup?

I can make a pitcher of iced tea.

Boil water
    4-5 teabags in it
    A cup of sugar in it
    Let it cool in the fridge

Or I could drink the ice tea which we buy which also contains fructose glucose syrup.

As far as I know the syrup does not cause an insulin reaction?

Maybe this is a misinformed question, or a dumb one. (but there are no dumb questions as far as I know, you have to ask to learn)
    But I think the self made is a far better choice?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Idk but im pretty sure that the sugar we consume is sucrose. Unless diabetics cant eat fruit I dont think theres anything wrong with fructose which is sugar contained in fruit.

Then again dont all complex sugars get broken down to glucose by the body? Dam I forgot everything about biology.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-11-14 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Idk but im pretty sure that the sugar we consume is sucrose. Unless diabetics cant eat fruit I dont think theres anything wrong with fructose which is sugar contained in fruit.

Then again dont all complex sugars get broken down to glucose by the body? Dam I forgot everything about biology.
    Yeah, but does it still cause an insulin reaction? In other words, will our metabolism still regulate it?

Check what kind of carbohydrates are listed on the side of the package. While some sources of carbohydrate are faster acting than others all produce a reaction that effects the blood sugar level of a person. A non diabetic's body self regulates. An insulin dependent diabetic needs to inject an appropriate amount of insulin to counter the blood sugar spike the carbs produce. Each person is a bit different but with experience it is possible to determine how many points the blood sugar will raise for a gram of carbohydrate and how many units of insulin are required to counteract a gram of carbohydrate (or lower blood sugar by a desired amount)

That said sugar from fruit still requires insulin to counteract. A 3in apple for example has about 21 grams of carbohydrate and must be countered by an insulin dependent. Unless that fructose glucose syrup is really some sort of weird sugarfree no carb sweetener its still going to have an effect on your system.

note: this is from the experience of someone who grew up with a diabetic father. My father was diagnosed with diabetes at age 8 and is still around and kicking at 56. I've watched him manage the disease all my life.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2012-11-14 at 11:45 PM.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    you know they are like the same right? like literally they are almost chemically identical.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    you know they are like the same right? like literally they are almost chemically identical.
    No I don't think so...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    No I don't think so...
    but they are table sugar sucrose is 50% glucose 50% fructose, HFCS is 60/40 they are practically the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    but they are table sugar sucrose is 50% glucose 50% fructose, HFCS is 60/40 they are practically the same.
    Yeah, just read that. :P Still it appears sucrose is the better choice.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Have you ever tried unsweetened ice tea? Once I tried it I never went back to sweetening it.

Yeah, just read that. :P Still it appears sucrose is the better choice.
    HFCS is probably one of our societies' single greatest contributor to obesity. That study I linked earlier concluded that mice fed HFCS gained significantly more weight than those fed sucrose.

WTF, man? If you want to maintain a figure, neither is a good choice.

Both the sugar and the corn syrup are 100% empty calories. No nutrients, just energy to make you fat.

If you want a sweet tasting ice tea, sweeten it with Splenda instead.

When you feel the need to snack on sweets, find a protein bar that tastes acceptable to you (they all taste sweet) and snack on that instead.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elodeon View Post
    WTF, man? If you want to maintain a figure, neither is a good choice.

Both the sugar and the corn syrup are 100% empty calories. No nutrients, just energy to make you fat.

If you want a sweet tasting ice tea, sweeten it with Splenda instead.

When you feel the need to snack on sweets, find a protein bar that tastes acceptable to you (they all taste sweet) and snack on that instead.
    Clearly you completely missed the point.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Clearly you completely missed the point.
    I don't think that's the only things he's missed.

TBH, reading the title did make it sound like it was going to be about eating for weight loss but if he read more than that he'd realise it was aimed at diabetes.

Still, he's somewhat right, it is still a better option to avoid both of them where possible for diabetes AND weight control.

Quote Originally Posted by FathomFear View Post
    Have you ever tried unsweetened ice tea? Once I tried it I never went back to sweetening it.
    that might be a felony south of the mason-dixon line

If diabetes is the issue, either drink unsweetened tea or tea with Splenda.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If diabetes is the issue, either drink unsweetened tea or tea with Splenda.
    Oh no don't have diabetes, but I am just wondering...

It's not so much that HFCS is much worse for you than sugar, it's mostly that it's in nearly everything, and in abundance to boot.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    HFCS is probably one of our societies' single greatest contributor to obesity. That study I linked earlier concluded that mice fed HFCS gained significantly more weight than those fed sucrose.
    are you a rat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    My understanding is that HFCS has delayed satiety, so more of it gets consumed in a sitting.

I still wouldn't blame it for societies ills when it comes to obesity. I'd blame it on people that are too fucking stupid to read labels and too fucking lazy to get off the couch.