Page 33 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    See, that's what's so confusing. Civics IS part of the American education curriculum.
    You expect a majority of children to pay attention in school when the entire culture is one of disgust/dislike towards intelligent people?

See, that's what's so confusing. Civics IS part of the American education curriculum.
    Not really. At least, not where I'm from. Here we learned the Bill of Rights and that's basically it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    The point that you link one editorial on one website and complain about 'all those evil taxes'? I'm going to add you to my ignore list and stop feeding you. Have a good one.
    It looks like he got banned, but the link uses Cato institute as the source. With just about everything listed being a tax on the highest income or corporate. This is exectly what Obama has run on, if you have insurance and are not a 200k earner, these extra taxes do not apply to you.b
    Last edited by Felya; 2012-11-15 at 07:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockon Stratos View Post
    you need only open your eyes and take a look around you. the world IS a pretty scary place.
    Really? If you take a look at how things work, you'd see there's nothing out there that's really scary. There's no shadow government or anything. Are you kidding? It's astonishing that the President is allowed to put on pants given how frequently the position is hamstrung by Congress or the SCOTUS.

And Congress... it's a miracle they manage to even VOTE on anything given how much time they spend arguing in committee.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 07:34 AM ----------

You expect a majority of children to pay attention in school when the entire culture is one of disgust/dislike towards intelligent people?
    Well... that would be culture's fault rather than the curriculum then.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    It looks like he got banned, but the link uses Cato institute as the source. With just about everything listed being a tax on the highest income or corporate. This is exectly what Obama has run on...
    Oh did he? Oh well. Yes, Obama has run on increasing taxes for the upper class. I'm not sure the 'hidden' taxes listed in his source were super hidden, since a lot of them are related to what Obama says he wants to do with the tax code instead of the ACA.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 02:36 AM ----------

Well... that would be culture's fault rather than the curriculum then.
    Indeed it is. I have no idea how to fix it though. When the uneducated are held up as paragons of what you should be and the educated are mocked and ignored, we might have a bit of a culture problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not significantly, at least not as I remember it. And it certainly isn't in-depth, and it doesn't cover any variations to the system. There's minor mention that other countries "do things differently but still similar". It's a very skin-deep education, if a kid doesn't remember it, that's probably for the best since most of it was worthless triva-type information anyway.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Not significantly, at least not as I remember it. And it certainly isn't in-depth, and it doesn't cover any variations to the system. There's minor mention that other countries "do things differently but still similar". It's a very skin-deep education, if a kid doesn't remember it, that's probably for the best since most of it was worthless triva-type information anyway.
    I had half a year of American History(AP) and half a year of European History(AP). Odd that American History covered how the US government was formed and works better than the civics class did.

Damn... I guess the NJ department of education is a bit more robust than the rest of the country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apologies, I should have emphasized the "critical" part. While present, its seems to be an aspect of education drastically underplayed. I personally find it quite distressing that, given a country where the government and policy makers are actually remarkably transparent, people are not far more active in their civic duties. I'm not even American, and I've talked to state legislators on certain topics regarding things such as prescribing rights and modern medical technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Apologies, I should have emphasized the "critical" part. While present, its seems to be an aspect of education drastically underplayed. I personally find it quite distressing that, given a country where the government and policy makers are actually remarkably transparent, people are not far more active in their civic duties. I'm not even American, and I've talked to state legislators on certain topics regarding things such as prescribing rights and modern medical technology.
    The perceived corruption in American politics is pretty high. That's actually one of the reasons our iHDI is considered lower than Europe.

Actual corruption in American politics is quite low.

If the rest of the country does, indeed, have a shitty civics curriculum it could explain the perceived corruption as well as a 90%+ incumbency rate in Congress.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh did he? Oh well. Yes, Obama has run on increasing taxes for the upper class. I'm not sure the 'hidden' taxes listed in his source were super hidden, since a lot of them are related to what Obama says he wants to do with the tax code instead of the ACA.
    One of the reasons listed is your employer passing the cost of higher taxes on higher end insurance. That's not a problem with Obamacare, but Nixoncare we already have. Your employer already passes down the cost of insurance onto you. The only thing Obama carries blame for there, is being too conservative and not striking at the root of the broblem. If he didn't puss out, Obamacare would be universal healthcare and the Cato institute wouldn't be able to attribute this idiocy of Nixoncare on Obama.

One of the reasons listed is your employer passing the cost of higher taxes on higher end insurance. That's not a problem with Obamacare, but Nixoncare we already have. Your employer already passes down the cost of insurance onto you. The only thing Obama carries blame for there, is being too conservative and not striking at the root of the broblem. If he didn't puss out, Obamacare would be universal healthcare and the Cato institute wouldn't be able to attribute this idiocy of Nixoncare on Obama.
    I agree. After the GOP still refused to vote for it after their bullshit tampering, the Dems should have written a Single Payer Only system and pushed it through in the month and a half they had a supermajority.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had half a year of American History(AP) and half a year of European History(AP). Odd that American History covered how the US government was formed and works better than the civics class did.
    I am a political science major. To put in perspective how little American Civics, or even American history teaches you about our politics is simple: How many books did it take?

I can tell you that I have not even come close to learning all there is to know about the American political system, though I am well-versed in it, much less foreign political systems, and I took a dozen classes on the subject, each with half a dozen books and hundreds of articles.

Damn... I guess the NJ department of education is a bit more robust than the rest of the country.
    I don't give California any credit it isn't due. Which simply put, isn't any.

US civics classes are like turning on the faucet to teach children about hydrodynamics.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

You do realize that the system we're getting is analogous to Switzerland right? I'm not sure what problem, exactly, liberals have with it.

You got your universal health care, don't be greedy. You're starting to sound like the GOP the last 10 years.

I am a political science major. To put in perspective how little American Civics, or even American history teaches you about our politics is simple: How many books did it take?

I can tell you that I have not even come close to learning all there is to know about the American political system, though I am well-versed in it, much less foreign political systems, and I took a dozen classes on the subject, each with half a dozen books and hundreds of articles.

I don't give California any credit it isn't due. Which simply put, isn't any.
    I never said it gave me a ton of insight into our politics, I'm saying it was odd that American History get deeper into US politicans and the US government than the Civics class you take the year before.

I can tell you that I have not even come close to learning all there is to know about the American political system, though I am well-versed in it, much less foreign political systems, and I took a dozen classes on the subject, each with half a dozen books and hundreds of articles..
    A near-universal truth is that the more you know about a subject, the more you realize you don't know.

Ask a physicist how much he knows about the Universe, or ask a biologist how much they know about how the body works.

I'd say if you're willing to admit you don't know very much about a subject you've studied for years you know way more than anyone in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never said it gave me a ton of insight into our politics, I'm saying it was odd that American History get deeper into US politicans and the US government than the Civics class you take the year before.
    Well it makes sense. History more or less, tells it as it was. Civics tells it like people want you to think it should be.

Just, be kind.

Everyone's talking about Papa John's but i think it's worth pointing out too that Murray forced his employees to go to a Romney rally and then they were made part of a political ad. He's not exactly all about business ethics. This is also pure speculation on my part but I think if Romney was elected he still would have laid off those employees and blamed it on Obama.

The bad publicity is going to hurt more then a .15 cents increase in the price of pizza. Hell where are the mass lay offs and cut backs caused by higher gas prices?

This was clearly a bad move no matter which way you slice it.

Just wait until Obama fails to renew our defense contracts and how many people will lose their jobs from that.