Page 1 of 23
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why are Non-Americans so interested in America?

I have never really understood why Non-Americans are so interested in the affairs of our country (USA). Why take so much interest in the United States, and how our political affairs work? I have not a single interest in any other country and how they run it, and quite frankly could care less about who becomes prime minister / president of xyz random European country.

I see so much disdain of American lifestyles and politics coming from Non-Americans, and its amazing why they are so enthralled with our country. Are there not better things to do than to follow American Politics and lifestyle? Is there not enough political drama in your own country so you have to go and look for it elsewhere? Are other countries so boring that America is the only place to turn to for entertainment?

Just curious is all.

Deleted
    Because of globalisaiton. Major things happening in US affect most countries more than their own things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Largest economy and largest military with a penchant for military intervention? How could you not have an interest?

It's sort of similar to how the whole world has its eyes on Israel right now. What happens there could affect everyone.
    Last edited by Reeve; 2012-11-15 at 03:15 PM.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

why americans are so interested in the affairs of other countries, some times so interested that they start war with this country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Largest economy and largest military with a penchant for military intervention? How could you not have an interest?
    this is all basically, what happens in America usually affects the rest of the world due to your economy and military.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I have not a single interest in any other country and how they run it, and quite frankly could care less about who becomes prime minister / president of xyz random European country.
    It sounds to me like you couldn't care less, to be honest.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-11-16 at 03:42 AM.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Because we're the sole superpower and leader of the world.

Deleted
    Because there were once two centers of power in the world. USA and USSR. One fell and as such one became a monopoly. Even if today others strive to become competitive, they're not near the rank of USA. So, USA is first. And people look at them because of that.

And you don't care about another country because no other country is alone as powerful as the US, so you don't need to care. People from outside US need to care since if the US sneezes you have an economic crysis or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    this is all basically, what happens in America usually affects the rest of the world due to your economy and military.
    Well you would think that the citizens of other countries would want to focus on improving their own country rather than focusing on another country. I understand our economy is the largest and most affluent in the world, however countries can do a lot of good making and enacting better fiscal policies in their own land as well.

Look at Germany, they have one of the most robust economies in Europe. They have enacted smart fiscal policies to do so (although I dont know any specifics).

Quote Originally Posted by Warak View Post
    why americans are so interested in the affairs of other countries, some times so interested that they start war with this country.
    Why are Germans so interested in the affairs of other countries, some times so interested that they slaughter 6 million innocent people and forcefully take over the majority of Europe? Why are the <insert every other country that has ever gone to war> so interested in blah blah blah? Everyone goes to war. America is just good at it. Perhaps your country just needs to put on their big boy pants and quit hugging trees and protesting everything.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2012-11-15 at 08:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are Americans so interested in knowing why none Americans are interested in America? :P

The reason I'm interested in America/ American things is because i find you a little bit funny :S American politics is like watching a crazy person that just escaped from an insane asylum trying to convince a random pigeon to wear shoes :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Because there were once two centers of power in the world. USA and USSR. One fell and as such one became a monopoly. Even if today others strive to become competitive, they're not near the rank of USA. So, USA is first. And people look at them because of that.

And you don't care about another country because no other country is alone as powerful as the US, so you don't need to care. People from outside US need to care since if the US sneezes you have an economic crysis or something.
    The only time I ever cared about another country was when I was going through my business courses, and we studied why Greece and a few other countries in the EU were in fiscal crisis. Lessons learned from other countries on what not to do can go a long way with improving your own country. Unfortunately the fiscal policy of the USA seems to be spiraling in the same direction of Greece at the moment, and there is no bright roads ahead..

It's quite large for one, lots of people, but most importantly I think the culture, films, games, celebrities, music and that interest a lot of people. As for American politics it's just the most entertaining political system in the world.

Another interesting question could be; why are so many Americans uninterested in anything that happens outside of it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Why are Americans so interested in knowing why none Americans are interested in America? :P

The reason I'm interested in America/ American things is because i find you a little bit funny :S American politics is like watching a crazy person that just escaped from an insane asylum trying to convince a random pigeon to wear shoes :P
    Why not become fully vested in the political affairs of your own kingdom and stop worrying about another country that has 0 effect on how you live your life?

or may be due to the fact that the U.S. has a debt to whole world? biggest national debt, 16 000 000 000 000+$ afair

Who will pay us if u gone ? so we check on u from time to time

and quite frankly could care less about who becomes prime minister / president of xyz random European country.
    If Europe were a single nation the size of US I believe you would care.
    At the same time there's a good chance we will all have to care about China in the years to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Well you would think that the citizens of other countries would want to focus on improving their own country rather than focusing on another country. I understand our economy is the largest and most affluent in the world, however countries can do a lot of good making and enacting better fiscal policies in their own land as well.

Look at Germany, they have one of the most robust economies in Europe. They have enacted smart fiscal policies to do so (although I dont know any specifics).
    Financially, a HUGE portion of international trading and banking is done in USD, as well as some countries actually using USD in their national reserves. As such, any changes from the US Central Bank (The Federal Reserve I suppose it's called?) in the form of monetary policies would have an effect on the rest of the world.
    Militarily, the US is probably (could need a citation or statistical reference) the most internationally involved nation, both in terms of amount of troops deployed in foreign nations, as well as amount of agents, ambassadors and representatives around the world. They're everywhere, and their influence is total.
    Socially, the US is (and has been for the last 50 years) the major exporter of culture throughout the world. American TV-shows, American movies, American music and American games all outweigh and outnumber (in most cases) any local offerings.

Finally, you guys have a frankly hilarious political system which doesn't condemn shit-smearing the other candidates, which makes for quite a lot of laughs for us Europeans with more moderate political climates, where down-talking the other candidates doesn't exist :P It's been a bit like a reality show!

another country that has 0 effect on how you live your life?

wrong on many levels
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well I do have a penis attached to me as well but I dont know 'a lot' about it, I dont even know how it tastes. Maybe you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    Everyone who does not miss Vanilla has no heart. Whoever wishes it back has no brain.

Deleted
    I have never really understood why Non-Americans are so interested in the affairs of our country (USA). Why take so much interest in the United States, and how our political affairs work? I have not a single interest in any other country and how they run it, and quite frankly could care less about who becomes prime minister / president of xyz random European country.
    Because it has impact on non-Americans. I know many Americans don't know, care or understand what's going on in the world, even though it will necessarily affect them. That's something that seems to be quite unique to Americans.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only time I ever cared about another country was when I was going through my business courses, and we studied why Greece and a few other countries in the EU were in fiscal crisis. Lessons learned from other countries on what not to do can go a long way with improving your own country. Unfortunately the fiscal policy of the USA seems to be spiraling in the same direction of Greece at the moment, and there is no bright roads ahead..
    The US and Greece are nowhere close to each other. Americans pay their taxes, for one thing, and the rates on our debt are far far lower than what the Greeks were dealing with.

Also, if other countries interested you when you were taking the business courses, why don't they still interest you? The world is a fascinating place, and what happens elsewhere can sand does affect you.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!