Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question looking for a new game to play, weird request maybe ^^

Hi,
    I'm currently looking for a new game or type of game to play.
    I've been playing MMOs for several years (aion, tera, wow, rift, dcuo..) and also single player games, mainly adventures.

My big problem with MMOs is that I don't like endgame that much, running the same dungeons over and over to get better gear, I'm no achievement hunter or mount/pet collector. I like leveling more, trying different classes and roles, but mainly I play healer/tank.

On the other side I like MMOs (as I like to tank/heal) for their dungeons and the possibility to play together with others, to explore the world and its lore, to socialize with others.

Now I'm confused what games or types of games would suit me best, where the focus is on leveling different classes/roles, but where I don't play alone all/most of the time.

(just to add that piece of information, I was never good at shooter-games or strategy and I suppose they wouldn't suit me very well, which makes that request even more complicated, I suppose)

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

--
    edit:
    I don't only own a PC, but also PS3 and Wii, so suggestions are not limited to PC

--
    if you want to troll or flame, go elsewhere, thanks
    and no, English is not my native language, so all the grammar nazis can leave, too
    Last edited by mmoc6758ac0f09; 2012-11-15 at 02:43 PM.

Try SWTOR yet?

It's miles and miles better than at launch...the BEST leveling experiences...fun end game...and you fight with light sabers!!!

LOL

Seriously though...it's a very fun game...but you need to decide on your own my friend

Deleted
    if I remember correctly swtor f2p (or what they call f2p) starts today and I wanted to give it a try anyways

I'm just asking here because maybe someone has the same problem (first wirld problem, yeah..) as I do and I don't have the money to buy every single game available and see if it suits me :/
    Last edited by mmoc6758ac0f09; 2012-11-15 at 02:29 PM.

Guild Wars 2 is all about leveling and exploration, very little focus on endgame, however it's action oriented so it may not be ideal if you like playing healer/tank - as there isn't any rigid roles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugo Moll View Post
    Consider this philosophical question: If Blizz fails, but noone is there to see it. Will there still be QQ?

Deleted
    already tried GW2 at release and seriously disliked it >_> I only leveled one toon deciding that after reaching max level I'm never going to touch that game again..
    I really disliked the dungeons as well as the missing trinity..

Sounds like you should check out some action rpg's - Diablo, Sacred 2, Torchlight 1 & 2, X:Men Legends 2 and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance on console(no idea if they were ported to PC or not, and while you didn't limit your system, the constant use of MMO games makes me think that's what you prefer). They offer lots of character customization, most have an online/co-op component, and while they can get grindy(D3, I'm looking at you >.>), they're not required. Outside of beating the game on the highest difficulty, there really isn't much in the way of an 'endgame' for these games.

If you can get over the 'alone' requirement there's a whole world of role-playing video games out there for you to try. Old Republic went free to play today(actually, lots of Bioware games would do you good. Dragon Age, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect trilogy, Knights of the Old Republic, etc), or get some emulators and old-school games, like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy (nothing after X, tho). Stuff like that.

Deleted
    I don't only own a PC, but also Wii and PS3 (edited it in the first post)
    the classics (like Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Legend of Mana, FF6 and so on, also many parts of the Zelda and Metroid series) I have already played and enjoyed (started at a young age ^^) and casually play again on emulators, currently I'm also playing FF7 on PC again.

I think I have Torchlight on steam (I'm at work, so I can't tell for sure), also games like Warhammer 40k, Darksiders ..

also I wanted to play D3 as my bf owns it since release (annual pass, yay), but didn't have the chance yet.

I think I will do some research on the other games you mentioned, Darth Steve, thanks
    (thanks to the others as well)
    Last edited by mmoc6758ac0f09; 2012-11-15 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets get a little more criteria:

What gaming platforms do you own/prefer?

Are you looking to start a new MMO?

Are you just looking for a more casual game with an online option?

What kind of themes do you enjoy? (Space/Fantasy/Modern)

How fast paced do you like your games?

Exactly how much customization do you prefer? (just weapons and armor and stats, or also housing and companions, etc)

Answer these and i think you'll get a more accurate and satisfactory answer.

You could try NEStalgia if you're into retro style RPGs. Also it's free to play so it's not like you can really go wrong with trying it out.

This trailer would probably sum up the game a lot better than I ever could without writing a needlessly large wall of text.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

@OP

I think you are out of luck. Hard role trinity is pretty much an MMO design point.Also you don't want to run content repeatedly but also want to hale/tank.

It doesn't work usually.

However, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma, Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Darksiders as single player RPGs and The Secret World, Vindictus & The Old Republic as MMOs might fit the bill.

May have played some of those before. Some may not meet your criteria exactly. Your desires are not really feasible- so work with what you got.

I would NOT recommend ARPGs such as Diablo or Torchlight. As both series [& genre] is built on the idea of farming a very specif and small area of the game over & over for years.

i know its alot of money but the wiiu comes out in a few days and while id wait a few months to get it theres some really good games coming out for it.

if you're a fan of the pikmin series pikmin 3 is coming out in march.

also if you like adventure time and have a 3ds or ds the adventure time game is coming out on the 20th and i know what you're gonna say "but cartoon games are always crap because the companies are just trying to cash out on dumb kids" but this isnt the case because pendelton ward really loves adventure time and he doesnt just let people use it without going all in. the game is written by pendelton ward himself so the story for the game was written by the creator. as for gameplay if youve ever played zelda 2 its alot like that and has the typical 2d adventure game feel.

also the only difference between the two version is one has better sound quality and is in 3d so if you only have a ds you dont have to worry about getting "the crap version" theres also a collectors edition of it for only like 10$ more
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    damn part 2, no double post, thanks browser.. -.-

this was my post, anyways..

--
    What gaming platforms do you own/prefer?
    PC, PS3, Wii, my bf occupies the 3DS

Are you looking to start a new MMO?
    maybe, if its focus is on leveling, not on endgame (currently trying rift)

Are you just looking for a more casual game with an online option?
    casual would be nice, as I don't have the time to play on a regular schedule, but only from time to time (sometimes less than hours a week, sometimes up to the whole weekend), I don't want to lag behind if I don't have time to play for a few days

What kind of themes do you enjoy? (Space/Fantasy/Modern)
    space, fantasy, no regulations known ^^

How fast paced do you like your games?
    can't really answer that, I think ^^; I like exploring, but also hectic dungeon runs.. if that's what you meant :/

Exactly how much customization do you prefer? (just weapons and armor and stats, or also housing and companions, etc)
    if there is housing, it's nice, if there isn't, fine, too. much customization is also nice, of course, but I also liked games where I couldn't even choose the name of my character

Answer these and i think you'll get a more accurate and satisfactory answer.
    if it helps, feel free to ask more questions

--
    edit: my bf will probably buy the Wii U anyways, but I didn't want to list that as our property already
    also we own both a ds and a 3ds. (we are both gamers ^^)

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 03:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    However, Kingdoms of Amalur, Dragon Age, Dragon's Dogma, Jade Empire, Knights of the Old Republic, Darksiders as single player RPGs and The Secret World, Vindictus & The Old Republic as MMOs might fit the bill.

I would NOT recommend ARPGs such as Diablo or Torchlight. As both series [& genre] is built on the idea of farming a very specif and small area of the game over & over for years.
    I played Kingdoms of Amalur, still haven't completed Darksiders I, but wanted to play Darksiders II afterwards, I also tried Vindictus, but can't remember why I stopped playing it xD
    also I don't feel the need to get the best gear available, after completing games like D3 I don't think I would play it again on different difficulties or farm for gear.
    Last edited by mmoc6758ac0f09; 2012-11-15 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaiara View Post
    I played Kingdoms of Amalur, still haven't completed Darksiders I, but wanted to play Darksiders II afterwards, I also tried Vindictus, but can't remember why I stopped playing it xD
    also I don't feel the need to get the best gear available, after completing games like D3 I don't think I would play it again on different difficulties or farm for gear.
    Well, you said you are playing Rift now.

So do keep in mind Rift has highly customizable housing, vanity clothing and class customization.

Also the "endgame" of Rift can be achieved by dungeons, raids or open world stuff. There are even mini, solo dungeons starting at level 50. Lastly. Rift let's you set your character level down temporarily so that if you ever want to return to an old zone, quest series, raid or dungeon-- you can still do that w/ appropriate level challenge no matter how high in level you climb eventually. And you'd be rewarded the same as if you were doing "end of game" content.

In other words, you can continue doing whatever aspect of Rift you like best and not fall far behind the "raid or die" folks.

Might be moot to mention all that as you are currently playing Rift to see for yourself. Though in case you haven't yet leveled very far to see how varied Rift becomes in endgame play options I felt the need to mention it.

Rift's main issues are a lackluster art style [persona preferences] and the fact that most of the game is level 50+ content. Like you wouldn't even know some of those things are in the game by playing it until you were level 50 at the least.

Deleted
    I know that Rift has these features, so don't worry
    currently I only play Rift Lite, so level cap is 20, I'm at lvl 17 at the moment and enjoyed my first dungeon yesterday with a very helpful tank (tuned down from lvl 50 who patiently answered all my questions and even told me I could join his/her guild if I wanted )
    also I enjoy this game very much at the moment and would've bought it right away, I only fear in the end it will be the same as with WoW at the moment (got average-to-bad gear at 90, but need to either run the same dungeons over and over to access lfr, to access raids..., or to do endless dailies.. not what I enjoy, feels more like work for me)

but thanks for the suggestion and the reassurement for Rift

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from there not being any Multiplayer, Dragon Age Origins seems to be right up your alley. You could play a tank DPS and healer all at the same time.

I would normally set up a four man group of 1 tank, 1 DPS, 1 DPS/Healer and 1 healer. The game is nice because you can set automated actions ofr everyone, but also take manual control of them at any point. You can also pause and issue commands to be carried out after unpausing. So i would normally start by sending in my tank and melee DPS to grab the groups attention. then have my AoE DPS caster start rounding down their health, and i would manually control my healer. But the combinations are quite numerous, you can really do anything you like. The game has many companions to choose from, tons of weapons and armor and a whole lot of story. Prolly the best part really is the story and how it molds to your social choices. And the combat is endless fun due to it's depth and abundance of choices.

Also, i didn't notice you mention Skyrim. I would totally pick that up for the PC. Plenty of player housing to have fun decorating and fitting to your liking. Lots of Crafting. Pretty good story mechanics, not much in the way of changing the story exactly, but you can choose to have the story told to you in any order you wish. The combat is pretty intense, and there is A LOT of exploring and the the DLC released you get some additional hours of game play and house construction, You can build your house any where and how ever large you like. There are also companions and you can gear them up as well. Lastly, if you do indeed buy it for the PC, then you have option or installing mods for the game to make it fit your pleasure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Aside from there not being any Multiplayer, Dragon Age Origins seems to be right up your alley. You could play a tank DPS and healer all at the same time.

Also, i didn't notice you mention Skyrim. ...
    I played Skyrim and (yeah, stupid, I know) by accident completed the main story after about 30 hours because I missed the feeling of progression (not fitting my needs in a weird way, I know..) after that I unfortunately couldn't get myself to play it again, though I considered it a few times..

the concept of Dragon Age Origins sounds complicated, but very interesting, I think I'll do some research on that, too

the concept of Dragon Age Origins sounds complicated, but very interesting, I think I'll do some research on that, too
    Try more old-school Dungeon Siege II then Dragon Age is based on D&D, so progress feels quite static. Dunngeon Siege II is also kind of party simulator, but based on decent, non tabletop, system.

Have you taken a look at Minecraft? It is multiplayer, it is very different from the games you listed, it has no repeated content, it is a spelunking adventure. This game isn't for everybody but given what you are asking for this might fit the bill.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    Have you taken a look at Minecraft? It is multiplayer, it is very different from the games you listed, it has no repeated content, it is a spelunking adventure. This game isn't for everybody but given what you are asking for this might fit the bill.
    no, I haven't tried it yet as I always thought it's mostly about being creative, building stuff, and I'm not that creative.. am I completely wrong with that? oO

no, I haven't tried it yet as I always thought it's mostly about being creative, building stuff, and I'm not that creative.. am I completely wrong with that? oO
    Honestly you sound like a hard person to please, go try playing everything...
    Last edited by Kosm; 2012-11-15 at 04:22 PM.