Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Wind Lork Mel'jarak dps question

So hello everybody, spent tonight trying to kill the wind lord in my 10m guild.
    Mechanics weren't an issue, p1 nuke adds while cc some other, p2 move and nuke. nonetheless i hard a really really hard time doing damage. position myself for good halo's, dropping the 5 stack puddle, breaking amber traps, mass dispels, on top of that trying to dot i don't really know how many targets and then seeing our dk and monk that spammed like 2 ability doing so much more damage than me ...

So all this useless information for my question: should i keep struggling to keep dots on as many targets as possible MB on cd and MS when they proc or is there some easier way around it XD like i dunno pain on everything and spam Mind Sear even though it sucks at the moment?

Thanks in advance for any feedback and excuse my English :>

10+ Year Old Account
    The fight overall is bad for us.

Mind sear is recovering from a coma the nerfbat put it in with MoP (5.1 will help but not enough IMO)

So phase 1
    I haven't spent much time on the boss yet but so far early attempts it looks like aoeing with mind sear is better than single or mult dotting. (its better for the raid as a whole if the adds get aoe down) Make sure to use lvl 90 talent on CD. (Still have to multidot a bit as you need VT for mana and might as well spend the GCD for SW:P while your at it)

so phase 1 is turtle shit for us dps wise no matter what you do

Phase 2 our dps should be where it is on a fight like feng. Middle of the pack

Tl;DR We have turtle shit for aoe and this is working as intended (until 5.1 :P)

Actually the Mind Sear buff has been appplied in a hotfix some days ago. What you have seen from the 5.1 patch notes is only a tooltip change from that same hotfix

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Damaros View Post
    Actually the Mind Sear buff has been appplied in a hotfix some days ago. What you have seen from the 5.1 patch notes is only a tooltip change from that same hotfix
    Well I'm going off of this thread

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Shadow-HOTFIX

Which reports an actual change

"On Live: Tooltip shows x+19,5% sp, but MS does y+24,5% sp.
    On PTR: Tooltip shows what it does - z+30% sp. "

"Comparing my live priest to PTR:
    Live - 20,8k spellpower - 6,3k hits
    PTR - 17,7k spellpower - 6,7k hits"

Deleted
    Given that i'm trying to make my raid change strategy, since in p1 we first kill the battle-menders and then we aoe down the rest and i think that is a dps lost since it can all be done together ecc. i would run with ToF (untill they change strategy i think) and as soon as the first set of adds die try to mind sear of the boss since he should be getting additional damage ?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen with our shadowpriest spamming Mass Dispells, dotting up the boss and filling with mind sears. Shadow priests are pretty weak on this fight damagewise but provide good utility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpippo View Post
    Given that i'm trying to make my raid change strategy, since in p1 we first kill the battle-menders and then we aoe down the rest and i think that is a dps lost since it can all be done together ecc. i would run with ToF (untill they change strategy i think) and as soon as the first set of adds die try to mind sear of the boss since he should be getting additional damage ?
    Well tof is probably better on this fight no matter what now that I think about it
    (would increase phase 1 dps by doing either start of killing x group first or aoeing them all down at once)
    You don't really have time to cast MB in P1 anyway, phase 2 will take some dps loss but once you get to 20% it will spike back up / even out
    (again I have no numbers to support any of this and this is all personal speculation)

But I would think either way just keep a few dots rolling and mind sear, not a whole lot we can do atm for aoe :L

I should see this boss again Tues or the next day. I will post any findings then, Good Luck!

For one, don't use Halo on this fight. Use Divine Star.

Our spriest is continually lowest DPS on this fight, but we understand each other's issues when it comes to fights like these and we know it's just the mechanics of the fight and that it doesn't play to his strengths. On our kill this last week, he did about 112k DPS, but only about 78k before the adds died. Compared to our frost DK who did 161k for the fight, but was sustaining 155k for almost 4 minutes, before the adds died (before any debuffs were on the boss, it's kind of silly).

For some more specifics, our priest had the following damage breakdown, all pre-adds dying (a little short of 4m), from top to bottom:

SW:P, 18.5%, over 3m dmg, 236 ticks total including crits
    DP, 13.9%, 2.28m dmg, 9 total casts.
    MB, 12.9%, 2.11m dmg, 24 total casts, about 1 every 10s (bad boy)
    Mind Spike, 10.5%, 1.73m dmg, 21 casts. Don't exactly know why he was casting this, but our strat calls for us to kill all the unCCed adds at the same time so he might have been wiping DoTs/doing direct damage on low target mobs (edit: He was using surge of darkness, free non-DoT wiping Spikes).
    Divine Star, 8.8%, 1.44m dmg, 72 total hits, which probably means 36ish targets, probably around 7-10 casts of this?
    VT, 8.1%, 1.3m dmg, 93 total ticks (probably not multi-dotting with this one
    Mind Sear, 1.248m dmg, 108 total hits, on 6 targets (5 unCCed adds + Wind Lord) = 18 ticks, which = 3 casts.

Looks like he was trying to keep SW:P up as much as possible, MB as near to CD as he could, divine star every 20 seconds or so, I guess, keeping VT on our main focus target (we had one target which we were unloading our non-AoE into), and then just popping off DP as much as he could. Not many mind sears at all.

Most of the top parses for spriests on this fight seem to indicate a similar strategy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah according to
    http://howtopriest.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2315
    So far seems like dots with single target is the way to go
    as for divine star vs halo, if you run a strategy that denies you being 25-30 yards way from the boss and or 30+ yards away from the cc then star is the way to go but if you can maximize halo then I have no clue

Deleted
    in p1 multidotting i can manage to go over 100k's, cast SoD procs and Pains while moving to position for halo, to leave puddle and to get near to the mob in need to cc, but after 9-10 tries i start getting an headache and soar fingers, is that how you spell soar ^^ ? But still gets me pretty fed up seeing a WW monk spamming 1 ability and doin 50k more than me, i don't mean to whine or anything but it really gets me fed up...

Deleted
    Tried two approches.
    1st method - DoT every target, MS/MB as filler/Halo on CD/Use SF in opener, if its going to be up again before P2, then save it for P2.. I'm still ranked 14th from the first weeks kill, so this seems to be most effective, damage wise. I ran ToF with the this method.

2nd method - DoT every target with just SW;P, and the main focus (whichever mob type is higher, to balance out) with both DoTs/MS as filler. This method requires Mindbender to not oom. Also read a post a few days ago suggesting speccing DI if you chose this path. Gonna make you swim in DI procs.

I found the first method to be most damage. It is however not easy to manage two DoTs on 6 targets, and if you experience trouble managing them, you may end up finding a DPS loss by useing this method.

And I don't suggest speccing Divine Star, as you're pretty much GCD capped as it is. Halo is also fairly easy to position in this fight. Landing a big heal from Halo during rain of blades is also really helpful.
    Last edited by mmoc771d918182; 2012-11-13 at 12:48 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried Jomu's method one last night in LFR (without ToF since it was LFR) and it did way better than any mindsear combo and I was half assing my dots

We run 2 similar geared shadow priest so one of us will go method 1 and the other method 2 and we will compare and post results but I think method 1 will win out specially if I manage dots better than I did in LFR and with ToF

So more info coming tonight after raid :3

Here's an LFR log I uploaded yesterday:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/q...e=711#Relapses

(I was spec'd ToF, but DI may be better.)

I didn't Mind Sear once, didn't have Hero/Lust either. Just DoT'd as much as I could. If you're good at doing your DoTs, your first set of DoTs expires just as you apply your last set of DoTs. MS is such a shitty spell and it's ridiculously boring just spamming one button for the majority of a fight, so I can't see why there's even debate here.

Deleted
    Mind Sear is the way to go. Easier and does good damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like method 1 is the way to go but when I have to dispel, mas dispel and cc I cant give accurate numbers

Down that boss in 10-man, had no time to mind seer. AoE on this fight I gave to Enchs, 2 fDK(1-specced blood),ret, hunter and so on. I was disabling one of the adds, hitting divine star whenever it is not on CD, massdispelling, helping on one of the adds(we have 3 healers uncontrolled due to 4 melees, DoTing everything and spending procs on healers.
    So far after killing healers just multidotting other adds and spending all DI and FDLC stacks on boss(he already had Recklessness), still dispelling and disabling one of the ads. Actually we choose the method to cleave the last two packs of ads through boss, to place boss as low as we actually able before we will start phase two. It makes the fight more concentrate, because it's not about to cleave 3 packs and then have a fully-reckless boss fully stacked on 95%. 1 tank 2 healers and me with tranquil, glyphed vampiric as one more save on BladeDancing.
    Halo looks more cool if you're able to switch your positioning so often-it also grants some healing on the latest bladedances when you're bit starving of raid savings.
    However I showed myself as an irreplaceable toolbox which actually started to show an amazing DPS when using all instant procs on reckless boss, healing|disabling|massaving and even interrupted 4 heals for 2 hours of trying :3 .
    I don't give too much shit about MS through if you're going to AoE this fight, you still may start struggloing on mana, MS will leak your mana without dotting VT, and if you're dotting, what's the reason of MS? Maybe the thing was in our strategy-lots of really heavy 170-200+ cleaves and bloodlust from the beginning, our warlock with 220-250k for the whole phase one, and first pack of ads is down in like 50 seconds-mind seer and multidot are both useless in that situation, there is no way for shadowpriest to use MS and even DoT VT(can take mindbender and macro it on reckless boss) and just be useful for phase one. This is not our field neither now or in 5.1(I don't even think MS will become PvE viable in 10-man Feng Shield phace on 5.1, then it's useful only on Elegon adds killing; we'll see how it goes)

Deleted
    most tactics involve a 1-1-2 CC rotation, and kill the one where only 1 is up first.. if you DoT up the boss and the add of which 1 is up, you will likely see a markedly increase in DPS, combined with mind sear of course.

I haven't gotten to this fight yet, so just a question, will cascade bounce to the stunned adds and break CC?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ragecloud View Post
    I haven't gotten to this fight yet, so just a question, will cascade bounce to the stunned adds and break CC?
    Last time I tried (sunday) cascade didn't bounce at all on the adds. I'd fire it at an add and get a single hit with no other bounces. Seems really bugged on this fight. It's a shame because it would be a nice heal in the final boss phase if it worked for dps early on. As it is I just use halo though.

Deleted
    been playing with different tactics in lfr. seems the best way is to mind sear until the first set of adds is dead, then swap to keeping dots on everything and filling with sear. mind blast on CD with DP3 the whole time. Also seems running bender + ToF is best due to not having enough time to use all the procs in p1 and benefitting p2 more.
    halo does pretty insane damage here for one GCD, definitely use this, i'd even suggest it's worth changing your tactics if your raid is CCing stuff / tanking stuff in silly places that prevent halo use.

edit; literally just did lfr and got rank4 testing without any mind sear - beat my previous dps by about 20k.
    now i'm confused.