Thread: Prank Calls

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Prank Calls

Have you ever been the recipient of, or have done prank calls yourself? What was your reaction to the prank call if you received one? How did you pull off your crank call?

Most importantly, did you laugh as a result?

Deleted
    Funny as fuck if done right, but I always end up giggling. I liked phoning people at work, telling them they are deploying to some shit hole the next day. Hearing them rage was worth it.

Deleted
    Eh, no one ever made me any prank calls. xD

But I do remember doing some when I was a kid, so it was fun. When we called some random number, that was on the yellow text book, we got very nervous because of what the person on the other side would sound and if she/he got angry.

Also, I remember making pranks about calling people telling them that they had won the lottery. xD

Deleted
    I realize really fast when someone is making a prank on me on the phone.

If I don't recognize a number, I say "hello, who is this?". Most likely here they respond with a common name, which leads to two possible outcomes:
    -I don't know the name "Sorry, you have wrong number" and I close.
    -I know someone with same name, to which I ask "Which [name]?". If an unappropriate response is given, I close.

Prank calls are a waste of time, especially if done to emergency calls. A report in 2011 in Romania showed A THIRD of all calls at the ambulance system were prank calls. My their ignorance and stupidity, those people made the ambulances run late to actual real cases, thus killing people.

So, that said, I consider prank calls a plague on society done by someone who is brain-dead. Because only someone like that can delay ambulances thus possibly ensuring a human death.

I was the victim of a prank call once and I didn't feel anything but disturbed. It was quite pathetic. You gotta be careful with prank calls. They might go in the wrong direction.

10+ Year Old Account
    No time to play around calling people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    So, that said, I consider prank calls a plague on society done by someone who is brain-dead. Because only someone like that can delay ambulances thus possibly ensuring a human death.
    One thing is making random call pranks on random people, another thing is calling 112(911) and telling them that you're injured, that's just wrong and you could be delaying help to someone who actually needs it, so yeah, prank calls to 112 or any emergency number is just wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    One thing is making random call pranks on random people, another thing is calling 112(911) and telling them that you're injured, that's just wrong and you could be delaying help to someone who actually needs it, so yeah, prank calls to 112 or any emergency number is just wrong.
    I'm also fairly certain prank calling 911 is illegal in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well on radio you can hear prank calls from time too time.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I had a friend in High School who was a master of prank calls. He called my parents during a party I was at once asking if I was there cause he needed his drugs that he claimed I had sold to him. I had no idea he called until I got home and my mom told me about it. Thankfully she figured it was a prank and played along with it rather than getting pissed like some parents would. He called all sorts of places he would randomly pick a name in the phone book and start accusing them of stealing his bike or something else and they would have mixed reactions. He called car rental places and ask for the largest car they had informing them he had heard there were a lot of hookers in the area and that he wanted to have sex with them in the back seat. It was really funny at the time because he was able to do all this in a very serious tone and not laugh at any response.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I realize really fast when someone is making a prank on me on the phone.

If I don't recognize a number, I say "hello, who is this?". Most likely here they respond with a common name, which leads to two possible outcomes:
    -I don't know the name "Sorry, you have wrong number" and I close.
    -I know someone with same name, to which I ask "Which [name]?". If an unappropriate response is given, I close.

Prank calls are a waste of time, especially if done to emergency calls. A report in 2011 in Romania showed A THIRD of all calls at the ambulance system were prank calls. My their ignorance and stupidity, those people made the ambulances run late to actual real cases, thus killing people.

Yeah because prank calling you is going to stop your very important tasks on keeping the world safe.

Get off your high horse douche.

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2012-11-15 at 11:44 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    No idea, I don't even know if it's illegal in Portugal, but to be honest, are you going to arrest a 10 year old for a prank like that? =p

I wouldn't but people shouldn't do it anyways, regardless of age.

Deleted
    Our phone-number almost matches one of a local pizza delivery service (their phone number is one digit longer). So naturally we get many, many calls trying to order pizza ...

Well, sometimes when we get annoyed by it, so we start messing with the callers :P
    Taking an order. Making up ridiculous pizzas. Telling them weird stories why we can't deliver right now and telling them to come by. Telling them we can't share any pizza because noooo ... we have to eat it ourselves! And whatever...

We get some funny reactions. Honestly tho, normally we only start messing with people if they mess up dialing the right number multiple times.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    No idea, I don't even know if it's illegal in Portugal, but to be honest, are you going to arrest a 10 year old for a prank like that? =p

I wouldn't but people shouldn't do it anyways, regardless of age.
    I had a sudden image of swat officers backed by helicopters and tanks bursting in to bring down a 10 year old.. kind of funny to think about.

I'm a big fan of Sal and Richard prank calls, from the Howard Stern show. They know how to get it done right. It's all about getting the right reaction out of the person on the other line.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBPugQUDfPk[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LfIa8M2htE&feature=related[/url]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvqJE_r3-0s&feature=related[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    Yeah because prank calling you is going to stop your very important tasks on keeping the world safe.

Get off your high horse douche.
    Next time you go out of your way to insult someone, at least make sure you understood what they wrote. /facepalm

OnTopic: my friends and I only did a prank call once, but it was in very poor taste and I regretted it severely afterwards. Though I think there can be fun ones, like the one Bart Simpson does on Moe all the time.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Deleted
    I had a sudden image of swat officers backed by helicopters and tanks bursting in to bring down a 10 year old.. kind of funny to think about.
    I wouldn't admire myself if a kid managed to do something like that.

I did some prank calls a while ago. Fun as hell. But me and my friends called people we knew, and not just random numbers. Some fell for it, some just stopped the phone call. One went badly and the guy we were making a call to discovered who we were. "you forgot to put your telephone in anonymous mode, I can see the name "friend's name" here". That was the most fun moment ever

Calling emergency numbers or going out of line with the pranks is just wrong and tasteless, though

One time when I was little me and my cousins took my uncles (their dads) phone and picked one of his work friends named Louis. We called and said "Louis we wanna fuck your life up." Guy was like all sad too.

Deleted
    Oh, they're illegal here too, that didn't stop a third of them being prank calls though. Which kind of shows how stupid some people are.

I admit, the ones where you call colleagues and such and make funny jokes may be funny, but when you call the emergency phones telling them someone's injured or that there's a bomb somewhere and you're only doing it to see how fast they come and laugh at them, that's just sick.