Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post

I don't see anything that highlights the opposite of what I described. Disconnects happen, it could be from either side. There are always going to be problems. I have 10+ emails from myself from steam getting the EXACT same response 3 times in a row. Me giving my personal positive experience isn't invalidated by your links. I use both, Steam has been significantly worse.
    Steam is selling other companies properties, EA is selling their own. With thousands of games on steam, I doubt their customer service representatives really have any clue how to fix your problem for the specific game you're asking about. Even in the ToS it's request you contact the manufacturer of the game. Yes it's frustrating, but it's understandable.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Me not agreeing with you putting words in my mouth and comparing a fault product to cancer treatment (which is absolutely disgusting) doesn't add up to me point blank saying what you provided. Forgive me for elaborating or adding an exception?

5 times? I literally see 1 time I actually said "if they sell something that doesn't work they should pull it". Every other time that's not what I said. It's not some black and white issue where's 1 resolution (pulling it).
    Six actually. Six times you asserted that they shouldn't be selling these games. Six, very straightforward, very obvious times that you mentioned they shouldn't sell these products. Two times refunds came up, one of those was simply in reference to selling items that are non-refundable, not that they should be refundable, and only one instance of saying they should offer refunds. This is what you actually said. What you said, about them not selling these games, is what I disagreed with. I'll fully back you up on there needing to be refunds/store credit/some sort of recompense when games won't work for people who have tried all the fixes, but stop acting like you didn't say what you said. I don't care if I agree with your core message, if you're lying about what you said I'm going to call you out for it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    13.11. Posting images (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ore-posting%29)
    Posting images is fine, as long as they don't consume the entire screen and take too long to load. Almost all image hosting websites offer you a series of links when you've uploaded your image. One of these links is specifically to post thumbnails on a forum. It will look like this:

Please only post pictures in their thumbnail size. If readers wish to see the larger versions, they will click the link themselves.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php?...les_guidelines (Use thumbnails when posting images. See below:
    )

1400 x 900 is a fairly big resolution. It might be standard for most but it is still a big image to still have scroll bars. And the delete command is to show that everyone can make mistakes. You do it. I do it. Mods do it. Everyone does it.

The difference is when EA/Origin does it it is used to fuel a crusade against them. Should EA get better support? For sure. But anyone can find something to show how one time something or someone acted completely and irrevocably stupid.
    I don't think there's need to play mod here, we have plenty of them in this thread. Which makes me think why this thread isn't locked already.

10+ Year Old Account
    13.11. Posting images (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ore-posting%29)

http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php?...les_guidelines (Use thumbnails when posting images.)

1400 x 900 is a fairly big resolution. It might be standard for most but it is still a big image to still have scroll bars. And the delete command is to show that everyone can make mistakes. You do it. I do it. Mods do it. Everyone does it.

The difference is when EA/Origin does it it is used to fuel a crusade against them. Should EA get better support? For sure. But anyone can find something to show how one time something or someone acted completely and irrevocably stupid.
    There's a difference between us misclicking, and someone typing the exact code and direction to delete something.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yakobo15 View Post
    The only thing I've ever had to return was a 360 games some years ago, swapped it for an equal value game there and then and didn't bitch to the store because how could it be their fault...
    If they didn't allow you exchange it what would your response have been? Oh I'll go to the developer? You do realize that by allowing you to swap a faulty game for something of equal value they allowed you to return the defective product. Why are you okay with a physical retailer doing it but not a digital retailer doing it? More specifically why is it just Steam that can't do it?

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 06:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    The biggest difference is that the product didn't work on the platform it was developed for. There's a large difference between that and a product not working on a platform released 4 years after said product (using Jade Empire as an example)
    Then what is the harm in offering a refund on a digital good? Not to mention if it is being sold for a platform it should work for what it is being sold under. I don't use steam to purchase games but do they clearly indicate programs they sell that won't work on newer operating systems?
    Last edited by rhorle; 2012-11-15 at 11:09 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    What is the purpose of origin anyway? just to prevent/ make pirating harder?
    To be able to sell games while maximising profit (Valve take a cut from all games sold on Steam).

Believe me when I say this, AAA games is super high risk when it comes to making money (hence why we see a ton of sequels) so getting as much money as possible is needed - http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/1/343...s-state-of-aaa

Also, I wish people would stop complaining about Origin. Yes, I know the cool thing to do is to go in this circlejerk about how bad Origin is and how 'awesome' Steam is (newsflash, Steam sucks in its own little ways like Offline mode which works a lot better on Origin).

I would actually like a competitor to Steam. Why? Because usually when companies compete, the consumer wins. Steam will more than likely integrate a built in streaming option purely because Origin is about to start offering it. Proof? Origin on release allowed you to choose where you want to install your games when on download/install. Guess what happens a few months down the line? Steam now allows you to do the same. (The one feature/setting I really want Steam to take from Origin is the ability to change what pop up notifications you see).

/endminirant

15+ Year Old Account
    If a product is being sold by someone for a platform then it is clearly being stated by that someone that it works on that platform. If steam sells a game for PC then they saying it will work on that platform. Why would you be in favor or a place selling a product that won't work on the platform they say it will? Fraudulent sales practices shouldn't be tolerated from any retailer, physical or digital.
    I meant "platform" in terms of OS, not PC, my mistake. Jade Empire was marketed as Windows XP, not Windows 7
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

15+ Year Old Account
    The product didn't work because it had a physical defect, not because there was some obscure compatibility issue that was either unknown or un-researched by the buyer.
    What if a game requires a patch to work. And it doesn't work through no lack of research or compatibility? Should it be refunded then? I think the better question here isn't to ask should it be refunded then but why are you so hell bent against refunds for a digital good that can no longer be used through a simple database entry on Steams end.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fysi View Post
    To be able to sell games while maximising profit (Valve take a cut from all games sold on Steam).

Believe me when I say this, AAA games is super high risk when it comes to making money (hence why we see a ton of sequels) so getting as much money as possible is needed - http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/1/343...s-state-of-aaa

Also, I wish people would stop complaining about Origin. Yes, I know the cool thing to do is to go in this circlejerk about how bad Origin is and how 'awesome' Steam is (newsflash, Steam sucks in its own little ways like Offline mode which works a lot better on Origin).

I would actually like a competitor to Steam. Why? Because usually when companies compete, the consumer wins. Steam will more than likely integrate a built in streaming option purely because Origin is about to start offering it. Proof? Origin on release allowed you to choose where you want to install your games when on download/install. Guess what happens a few months down the line? Steam now allows you to do the same. (The one feature/setting I really want Steam to take from Origin is the ability to change what pop up notifications you see).

/endminirant
    I agree with basically everything you said, while I'm terrified of some of the decisions EA as a major publisher have made in regards to game design/distribution, competition is always good.
    I haven't had any major issues preventing me from doing things on origin, moving game across drives is a pain if not done right (having to download the game + 100 dlc's again ) but the EA servers themselves just collapse... leaving you totally screwed ingame.

So happy that I've never touched Origin. Hopefully they'll get their shit together and be prepared for next time.

10+ Year Old Account
    BF3 was a nightmare to weed through with EA customer service (lol).

After sifting through around a dozen worthless livechat representatives over two days, I finally decided to shed my cave troll persona and actually call the EA help line. My problem was fixed after that. I haven't had any problems with Steam, however, or the games I've downloaded.

Also, I don't think Steam should be held accountable for developers' mistakes and/or incompatability issues.

Deleted
    What if a game requires a patch to work. And it doesn't work through no lack of research or compatibility? Should it be refunded then? I think the better question here isn't to ask should it be refunded then but why are you so hell bent against refunds for a digital good that can no longer be used through a simple database entry on Steams end.
    Because that's their policy...
    It would also be remarkably easy for them to give everyone every game, but they don't.
    Would refunds be nice? Sure. But if they don't do them then there's a reason (probably the missing 85%) and all you can really do is hope you get lucky.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    There's a difference between us misclicking, and someone typing the exact code and direction to delete something.
    If they are using a knowledge database and searched for the wrong information, copy pasted the wrong commands, or just is an idiot. It is still a mistake and not something that should be used to bash an entire company. If there was one questionable moderator on MMO-Champion should I always pull up a screen shot to show why all of mmo-champion sucks?

Should we use Tseric or Jay Wilson over and over to show how all of Blizzard is terrible? Every company in existence has at least one Customer service horror story. One screen shot that may or may not tell the entire story is hardly worthy of the attention its getting.

Deleted
    If they are using a knowledge database and searched for the wrong information, copy pasted the wrong commands, or just is an idiot. It is still a mistake and not something that should be used to bash an entire company. If there was one questionable moderator on MMO-Champion should I always pull up a screen shot to show why all of mmo-champion sucks?

Should we use Tseric or Jay Wilson over and over to show how all of Blizzard is terrible? Every company in existence has at least one Customer service horror story. One screen shot that may or may not tell the entire story is hardly worthy of the attention its getting.
    Problem is that internet is littered with bad or just plain idiotic EA customer support responses.

Deleted

I'm sorry... but while I can understand your viewpont on refunds etc, defending that ss is a bit too far for me...
    It's in all caps, instructs them to open then close user accounts without doing anything, make a folder in Program Files (not the BF3 directory) called "LAG" then command line delete the Program Files path (which isn't even where origin games are).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    I meant "platform" in terms of OS, not PC, my mistake. Jade Empire was marketed as Windows XP, not Windows 7
    As my edit touches upon, shouldn't it be the responsibility of digital retailer like Steam to state incompatibilities as well? The following quote is from the Steam page for Jade Empire Special Edition. Not everyone that uses steam or purchases something would think of OS compatability differences. It doesn't have a disclaimer any where on the page that it might not run on newer operating systems. Shouldn't steam bear some responsibility for products they sell?

When discussing refunds and sales practices of products we have to consider how non computer literate people would react. To often people that know about computers don't consider it from a different viewpoint. They take a lot of things for granted. What is stopping Steam from offering a refund for a customer that just bought Jade Empire and found out it no longer works?

It is a digital good so no material needs to be repackaged or returned to Steam. Steam just deactivates access to that product since they control all of that. And they need to credit the customer. Physical retailers can do it so it isn't impossible for Steam to offer it on everything. You shouldn't be allowed to return something years later or even weeks later.

System Requirements
    Minimum: Windows XP, Pentium 4 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon 1800XP, 512MB RAM, 8 GB Free HD Space, DirectX 9.0, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 or ATI 9500 or better (Shader Model 2.0 required), 100% DirectX 9.0 compatible sound card and drivers.

Recommended: 3 GHz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor, 1GB RAM, DirectX 9.0 February 2006, ATI X600 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher recommended.

10+ Year Old Account
    the same result is okay to people since it's Steam, but EA is the devil.
    You are awesome, thank you for not being the only one like this! *hug* lol

The EA hate flows deep in this thread eh? so much people don't care steam is just as bad, they ignore it just to shit on EA a lil bit.
    I love the responses from people about BF3, specially when it was the only time they delt with origins but here they are to say how horrible it was and how luck you are, good god, why dont you use steam? it's so great!?!?!

Also, watch out for microsofts app plan, it's going to kill your father and rape your mother cause it will cost steam.

Deleted
    As my edit touches upon, shouldn't it be the responsibility of digital retailer like Steam to state incompatibilities as well? The following quote is from the Steam page for Jade Empire Special Edition. Not everyone that uses steam or purchases something would think of OS compatability differences. It doesn't have a disclaimer any where on the page that it might not run on newer operating systems. Shouldn't steam bear some responsibility for products they sell?

When discussing refunds and sales practices of products we have to consider how non computer literate people would react. To often people that know about computers don't consider it from a different viewpoint. They take a lot of things for granted. What is stopping Steam from offering a refund for a customer that just bought Jade Empire and found out it no longer works?

It is a digital good so no material needs to be repackaged or returned to Steam. Steam just deactivates access to that product since they control all of that. And they need to credit the customer. Physical retailers can do it so it isn't impossible for Steam to offer it on everything. You shouldn't be allowed to return something years later or even weeks later.
    Losing 7x more money than they gained is stopping them. And they have no obligation to.
    https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...jc-2625#refund
    3. BILLING, PAYMENT AND OTHER SUBSCRIPTIONS

ALL CHARGES INCURRED ON STEAM, AND ALL PURCHASES MADE WITH THE STEAM WALLET, ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT REFUNDABLE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, REGARDLESS OF THE PAYMENT METHOD, EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS AGREEMENT.

IF YOU ARE AN EU SUBSCRIBER YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO WITHDRAW FROM A PURCHASE TRANSACTION FOR DIGITAL CONTENT WITHOUT CHARGE AND WITHOUT GIVING ANY REASON UNTIL DELIVERY OF SUCH CONTENT HAS STARTED OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE HAS COMMENCED. YOU DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT TO WITHDRAW FROM A TRANSACTION OR OBTAIN A REFUND ONCE DELIVERY OF THE CONTENT HAS STARTED OR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE HAS COMMENCED, AT WHICH POINT YOUR TRANSACTION IS FINAL. YOU AGREE THAT DELIVERY OF DIGITAL CONTENT, AND THE ASSOCIATED SUBSCRIPTION, AND/OR PERFORMANCE OF THE ASSOCIATED SERVICE, COMMENCES AT THE MOMENT THE DIGITAL CONTENT IS ADDED TO YOUR ACCOUNT OR INVENTORY OR OTHERWISE MADE ACCESSIBLE TO YOU FOR DOWNLOAD OR USE.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 11:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tuulikki 27 View Post
    You are awesome, thank you for not being the only one like this! *hug* lol

The EA hate flows deep in this thread eh? so much people don't care steam is just as bad, they ignore it just to shit on EA a lil bit.
    I love the responses from people about BF3, specially when it was the only time they delt with origins but here they are to say how horrible it was and how luck you are, good god, why dont you use steam? it's so great!?!?!

Also, watch out for microsofts app plan, it's going to kill your father and rape your mother cause it will cost steam.
    It's not only about steam competition, the app rules in general heavily constrict everything.

3.1 You must use only the Windows Runtime APIs to implement the features of your Windows Store app
    We describe these APIs in the Windows Store apps API reference. Your app may only depend on software listed in the Windows Store.
    Windows Store apps must not communicate with local desktop applications or services via local mechanisms, including via files and registry keys.
    3.2 Your app must not stop responding, end unexpectedly, or contain programming errors.(what lol?)
    3.3 Your app must provide the same user experience on all processor types that it supports
    If your app has a different user interface or functionality when it runs on different processor types, you must submit a separate app for each processor type and describe the differences in the Description of each app.
    3.4 Updates must not decrease your app’s functionality in a way that would be unexpected to a reasonable customer
    3.5 Your app must fully support touch input, and fully support keyboard and mouse input
    Your app must provide visual feedback when users touch interactive elements.

3.8 Your app must meet the basic performance criteria on a low-power computer
    The app must launch in 5 seconds or less
    The app must suspend in 2 seconds or less

5.1 Your app must not contain adult content, and metadata must be appropriate for everyone
    Apps with a rating over PEGI 16, ESRB MATURE, or that contain content that would warrant such a rating, are not allowed. Metadata and other content you submit to accompany your app may contain only content that would merit a rating of PEGI 12, ESRB EVERYONE, or Windows Store 12+, or lower.
    We understand that in some cases, apps provide a gateway to retail content, user generated content, or web based content. We classify those apps as either Storefront apps, whose primary function is to aggregate and sell third party media or apps, or Streaming apps, whose primary function is to aggregate and stream web-based images, music, video or other media content. In some cases, it may be acceptable for a Storefront or Streaming app to include some content that might otherwise be prohibited in a single purpose app.
    5.2 Your app must not contain content that advocates discrimination, hatred, or violence based on membership in a particular racial, ethnic, national, linguistic, religious, or other social group, or based on a person’s gender, age, or sexual orientation
    5.3 Your app must not contain content or functionality that encourages, facilitates or glamorizes illegal activity
    5.4 Your app must not contain or display content that a reasonable person would consider to be obscene
    5.5 Your app must not contain content that is defamatory, libelous or slanderous, or threatening
    5.6 Your app must not contain content that encourages, facilitates or glamorizes excessive or irresponsible use of alcohol or tobacco products, drugs or weapons
    5.7 Your app must not contain content that encourages, facilitates or glamorizes extreme or gratuitous violence, human rights violations, or the creation or use of weapons against a person or animal in the real world
    5.8 Your app must not contain excessive or gratuitous profanity
    Last edited by mmoca4abc3a051; 2012-11-15 at 11:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry... but while I can understand your viewpont on refunds etc, defending that ss is a bit too far for me...
    It's in all caps, instructs them to open then close user accounts without doing anything, make a folder in Program Files (not the BF3 directory) called "LAG" then command line delete the Program Files path (which isn't even where origin games are).
    I'm not defending the screenshot. I am simply not attacking EA or Origin because of a bad customer service response. Mistakes happen. And origin does install to program files as the default. If you click default in Origin it will select C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games on a 64 bit operating system. I have mine set to a different drive since C:\ is my SSD.

I could easily see the REP mistakenly not including the rest of the command to delete the game folder (which would be \origin games\BF3 for example). It should have been something that was instantly corrected by the rep but things like that can happen when you have people that aren't experts in the field they are offering support in. There doesn't exist enough people in the world to be experts in all the things that need support.

Wheres the proof of origin being 'hacked'?

This says otherwise http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...-origin-hack/1