Poll: What would you do with Thrall?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    And thats why I admire metzens professionalism in this, because despite having a handful of negative posters, he still keeps his characters strong.. at least I hope he does and does so with his own integrity, instead of trying to appeal to such posters.

I mean look what happened as a result of certain choices, Thrall, steadfast leader of the horde, gets criticized by posters for being an inactive warchief, despite the fact he was really the most active leader in wow since the launch up to wrath. but that wasn't good enough for the general public, they kept saying he should do more. And do they worked the story so he would do something amazing and save azeroth, and now, the same negative community he flamed him before now come on mass because of him doing something.

It would be like reading a comic book series and them taking a character in one direction, only to have fans dictate how a character should be taken and the writers trying to do that just to appease them, which never makes them happy anyway.

You've not had your books published dude, but if you did and the general public ripped into them, I dare say it would make you feel bad. Would you try to alter those characters to try and appeal to those who hated it?
    If the general public ripped into them I wouldn't give a shit.

Cuz I'm happy I accomplished something as large as writing a 671 page book. :x

I'm someone who doesn't let the things other people say to me get to me..

Because what my family and friends think of me are all that matters.

Maybe that's the difference between me and you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nemro82 View Post
    I think someone war oriented should be warchief. So Thrall is out of the picture.
    Yes they should have someone war oriented. But against the legion not against the alliance. All i want is a female orc as leader so that both sides don't have male leaders. /crosses fingers, Thura. Niece to Varok Saurfang would be sweet. After all thrall was going to pick his son over hellscream so she is closest to that now.

My guess is we will find out ALOT more about what is going to happen in vol'jins book.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    I don't want Thrall gone from the lore. Until cata he was an interesting character and I think he could become an interesting character once again if Metzen tones down the Mary Sue levels a bit (which seems to be the case in MOP. He's there but not being shoved in everyone's face.). I also feel that while he shouldn't be Warchief again, he should play a part in running the Horde at the same time as running the Earthen Ring as a neutral organisation. Now that the elements have calmed down again, being in the Earthen Ring shouldn't take up so much time and energy, and I expect there to be a truce between the Horde and Alliance by the end of MOP, so working for both the Horde and a neutral faction won't be a problem. I think perhaps that Thrall could lead a council of the spiritual leaders of the Horde. Members could include:

Thrall (leader and shaman representative)
    Muln Earthfury (shaman representative.)
    Hamuul Runtetotem (Druid representative.)
    Zentabra (Druid representative)
    Dezco (Sunwalker representative)
    Liadrin (Paladin representative.)
    An undead priest representative, drawing blanks here. Probably a girl to balance the genders out a bit.

ALL PRAISE SYLVANNAS

Jk folks.

Dont want Chris Metzen's In game ego back in command. thrall's a decent leader, but with Varian back in command for the alliance, i dont think thralls mindset is going to work as leader. my personal thought is Vol'jin
    Till water is gone, Till shade is gone. Into the shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath. To spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just for the record. We see as much of Varian as we do Thrall. Metzen created both these characters, and they are both heavily featured.

You try and make the bs argument that Thrall is metzens ingame avatar, but he is a developer. He gave as much focus on Varian in the lore as he has done to Thrall.

You don't call Varian a mary sue, even though he is the most focused alliance character and voiced by metzen to.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by capitano666 View Post
    The dark lady kills them all \o/
    And is in turn decapitated by Mograine and her rotting head hangs from his steed for the rest of the franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was honestly fine with Thrall as warchief before. I'm not sure I'd want him back though.

If he could find someone who was actually a good candidate for the position then I'd say bring it on...just a bit wary because of what they did with Garrosh. I'd be happy to have Thrall back if he couldn't find a suitable replacement it just feels like it wouldn't fit the lore for the whole reason he left in the first place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivellana View Post
    I was honestly fine with Thrall as warchief before. I'm not sure I'd want him back though.

If he could find someone who was actually a good candidate for the position then I'd say bring it on...just a bit wary because of what they did with Garrosh. I'd be happy to have Thrall back if he couldn't find a suitable replacement it just feels like it wouldn't fit the lore for the whole reason he left in the first place.
    Back in the day when he was a good leader ( WC3 ) , it was cool.

Now the green pajama daddy jesus ?

No thanks.

Heck i started to sersiously disilke him already..

I dont know who or where said that killing aggra would be a nice thing to do ... well.. i completely agree with them.

Make the pathetic jesus he is now go back to the glorious thrall he was before !

( and i am alliance )

Thrall is integral to the Warcraft story, just like Tirion and Lothar.

Hey, look. There's some pandas and an Ulduar reference.

Oh, shiny.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salted Beef View Post
    Thrall is integral to the Warcraft story, just like Tirion and Lothar.

Hey, look. There's some pandas and an Ulduar reference.

Oh, shiny.
    Wait, what?

I vote for Zen'kiki, the dude is a clutz, he moonfires himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V40KBEbvRhY

Carine should be the new warchi....oh, that's right.....Blizzard ignored the great warcraft 3 hero for years, then killed him in a book.
    Mother pus bucket!

After this war is over Thrall should take his people back to Nagrand for some serious cultural paradigm shifting.

Its blatantly clear they're setting up Vol'jin to become Warchief.

I used to like Thrall, a lot.

Now he just seems to be a deus ex machina for the Horde. "Oh shit, Garrosh is doing bad stuff? Get Thrall! He'll save the day and free the Darkspears!"

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 10:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Just for the record. We see as much of Varian as we do Thrall. Metzen created both these characters, and they are both heavily featured.

You try and make the bs argument that Thrall is metzens ingame avatar, but he is a developer. He gave as much focus on Varian in the lore as he has done to Thrall.

You don't call Varian a mary sue, even though he is the most focused alliance character and voiced by metzen to.
    1.) He isn't just a developer. He's the head of the creative development team.

2.) Nobody calls Varian a Mary Sue because he isn't one. He had character progression. Both in the games and in secondary lore material (The books, the comics, short stories, ect). Thrall has always been the same. They tried to make it seem like they gave him some grand character development with his Cataclysm quest chain, but they really didn't. He's exactly the same at his core, he's just called a different name and isn't leading the Horde any more. Varian goes from being a mediocre King to a Gladiator with Amnesia to a moody King who's inner-being is all screwed up to an awkward father to his son to a fierce warrior to the Alliance to finally a balanced person again. And it didn't take one quest chain to do so. They are all very different incarnations of Varian at the core of his character. And it took multiple expansions for it to happen, it wasn't foisted upon us in one quest chain in one expansion.

Metzen is Thrall. Thrall is Metzen. Metzen feels like Thrall, Thrall feels like Metzen. Metzen constantly talks about how amazing Thrall is and what he's up to. Varian (And the Alliance as a whole, frankly), are only really talked about when people ask about the obvious factional bias in WoW, and they (The cdevs) put their lobbyist hats on and pretend they are as psyched about the Alliance as they are Horde.

No offense, but you might want to learn what a Mary Sue character actually is. Just because a character is given large amounts of screen time does not mean they are a Mary Sue.

Varian came out of a result of a need for an Alliance hero who wasn't sitting on his ass doing nothing (Tyrande, Magni), off given some bogus fake "assignment" that requires their attention (Gelbin), or someone who seems purposefully regulated to a minor character role because Blizzard doesn't know what to do with him (Velen).

And no, we didn't see as much of Varian as Thrall, because he did not exist as a legitimate character (Not a placeholder character on Alcaz Island) until Wrath. And even in Wrath, he's involved in one quest chain, opposite of Thrall.

Cataclysm was Thrallaclysm. I don't care what Blizzard tries to convince people of, Thrall is a Horde character. He's always been a Horde character, since his inception. Since Warcraft 3, Frozen Throne, Vanilla, BC, and Wrath. Just because they suddenly remove him from the Horde doesn't mean he's not a Horde character.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-11-16 at 10:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Would like to see Horde return to how it was, but not with Thrall as the warchief. He's had his time in the spot light for a little too long now and its time for someone else to take the title of warchief... and this time not some retarded war hungry jackass. Thrall has a family now and as gay as that sounds he needs to be there for them instead of putting himself at harms way all the time. I would be shocked if they put Vol'jin as warchief since he is NOT an orc, but blizz has surprised us before.
    The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword.

Vol'jin as the Warchief makes sense because its such a drastic juxtaposition with Garrosh.

What is Garrosh? Essentially an Orc supremacist. He sees the other races of the Horde as basically what Sylvanas used to see the Forsaken as. Tools to be used and then disposed of.

Vol'jin has always been more of the "Horde as a united force" kind of thing. Its why he's clashing with Garrosh so much. Under Thrall's Horde, Vol'jin had a legitimate, convincing voice with the Warchief. Now he's just an annoyance who actually is targeted by the Warchief multiple times for assassination.

Working under the assumption that Blizzard doesn't want Thrall back as Warchief (Mainly to stem the tide of the inevitable "Zomg the War happened and nothing changed between Horde and Alliance!"), the only other viable option would be Baine. And he's too young. Sylvanas is too focused on the Forsaken, Lor'themar clearly had his foot halfway out the door already, and Gallywix is nonexistent as a lore character outside of the Gobbo starting zone.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2012-11-16 at 11:04 AM.

The horde needs Thrall, and lorewise its the only one that makes sense after Garrosh.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Its blatantly clear they're setting up Vol'jin to become Warchief.

I used to like Thrall, a lot.

Now he just seems to be a deus ex machina for the Horde. "Oh shit, Garrosh is doing bad stuff? Get Thrall! He'll save the day and free the Darkspears!"

---------- Post added 2012-11-16 at 10:45 AM ----------

1.) He isn't just a developer. He's the head of the creative development team.

2.) Nobody calls Varian a Mary Sue because he isn't one. He had character progression. Both in the games and in secondary lore material (The books, the comics, short stories, ect). Thrall has always been the same. They tried to make it seem like they gave him some grand character development with his Cataclysm quest chain, but they really didn't. He's exactly the same at his core, he's just called a different name and isn't leading the Horde any more. Varian goes from being a mediocre King to a Gladiator with Amnesia to a moody King who's inner-being is all screwed up to an awkward father to his son to a fierce warrior to the Alliance to finally a balanced person again. And it didn't take one quest chain to do so. They are all very different incarnations of Varian at the core of his character. And it took multiple expansions for it to happen, it wasn't foisted upon us in one quest chain in one expansion.

Metzen is Thrall. Thrall is Metzen. Metzen feels like Thrall, Thrall feels like Metzen. Metzen constantly talks about how amazing Thrall is and what he's up to. Varian (And the Alliance as a whole, frankly), are only really talked about when people ask about the obvious factional bias in WoW, and they (The cdevs) put their lobbyist hats on and pretend they are as psyched about the Alliance as they are Horde.

No offense, but you might want to learn what a Mary Sue character actually is. Just because a character is given large amounts of screen time does not mean they are a Mary Sue.

Varian came out of a result of a need for an Alliance hero who wasn't sitting on his ass doing nothing (Tyrande, Magni), off given some bogus fake "assignment" that requires their attention (Gelbin), or someone who seems purposefully regulated to a minor character role because Blizzard doesn't know what to do with him (Velen).

And no, we didn't see as much of Varian as Thrall, because he did not exist as a legitimate character (Not a placeholder character on Alcaz Island) until Wrath. And even in Wrath, he's involved in one quest chain, opposite of Thrall.

Cataclysm was Thrallaclysm. I don't care what Blizzard tries to convince people of, Thrall is a Horde character. He's always been a Horde character, since his inception. Since Warcraft 3, Frozen Throne, Vanilla, BC, and Wrath. Just because they suddenly remove him from the Horde doesn't mean he's not a Horde character.
    Wise post.

I agree completely to the obvious facts that you showed in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    The horde needs Thrall, and lorewise its the only one that makes sense after Garrosh.
    Not necessarily. Thrall was more of a moral beacon. Garrosh shows what happens when you don't have that.

With Vol'jin serving as that role, Thrall is not necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Not necessarily. Thrall was more of a moral beacon. Garrosh shows what happens when you don't have that.

With Vol'jin serving as that role, Thrall is not necessary.
    Yes it is, the Orc society comes from a tyranny that they just took down, they need a new leader, but they cant risk having another tyrant. Societies int his situation go with familiar things, which in this case is Thrall. He is young, he is a great leader, he is available, and he is very capable of rebuilding the horde ties that were broken all these years. And he has proven to be able to control SYlvannas.

Again, story wise, the only option that fits is Thrall.

Even when we know that its Blizzard the one that dictates what the characters do and dont, so they could make any character act like a true leader, from a story point of view, the horde society has no idea how Vol'jin would act, and they cant risk themselves to another failed leader.
    Thrall is the only one that makes sense story wise.