Page 41 of 64 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Seran do you ever respond to people who ask you questions or do you just post random responses to posts from 10 pages ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If you have problems with the WHO rankings I'd like to hear them. If we're looking abroad for ideas for a health care system, as we should, then we should be looking at the best and the most affordable. Switzerland is neither.
    I have no problem with the WHO rankings whatsoever. I just feel they support my side more than yours.

The #1 ranked country spends the 4th highest amount per capita.

The first country I would even consider looking at as being a good medium would be Iceland or Norway.

Both of whom engage in price fixing.
    Last edited by Laize; 2012-11-16 at 03:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love pizza, I sometimes make my own and its so yummy!!#@#!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    It makes me sad sometimes that civics isn't a critical component of US education, given the country's status in the world.
    Civics and Government classes should be taught, but the education system today seems more interested in indoctrination instead of education.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    Thing is, throughout this thread, y'all say their Pizza tastes like shit, so you really expect anyone to think that you'll actually start liking their pizza if they raise their prices to cover healthcare costs for their employees...

No, what will happen is, 'damn man we feel sorry for you for having to work for a shit pizza company that raised their prices.'

And no, that wasn't in a Pentagon paper... /snickers and wanders off to make a real pizza.
    Yes. That was exactly what we've been driving at this whole time. I commend you on your incisive critical reading skills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Ummmm... yes?
    No, a business exists to make money, they do that by selling you something you may or may not need, but their marketing convinces you that you do need/want it.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 09:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Defense contracts are an incredibly inefficient way at creating jobs.
    And so was the stimulus program...

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 09:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    So we should waste hundreds of billions of dollars when we don't need it, or can obtain similar items / services for much cheaper?

They need to cut their damn prices, or we should buy our goods / services from someone else. I thought Republicans liked the free market!
    Stimulus program for 'shovel ready' projects that weren't spent more money and employed less than the defense industry did... and lets not even begin examining the request from the administration to the defense contractors about 'dont send out your pink slips before the election, if you get sued we'll pay the costs'

no... lets not look at that request at all.

I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    A bit late there Seran.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    How many jobs can you create building a single F-35 for $20,000,000,000+?

How many jobs can you create by building bridges, roads, and schools with that money?
    funny thing, for that 20B$ number you quoted... you can buy 120+ F-35s, as the flyaway cost is 154M, might want to check your facts, or cut the dishonesty next time.

---------- Post added 2012-11-15 at 10:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    It goes well beyond that. If you notice, almost everyone in power today has inherited it. You rarely, if ever, see someone who has earned a damn thing when it comes down to it. Sure we have a few who were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and managed to turn it into platinum (IE Bill Gates) but you have never seen anyone who was born as a bottom of the barrel player who made it to the top. Closest I have seen is the guys who made the TapOut brand of clothing and they haven't hit the level of income I am talking about yet either.

Well when you have inherited wealth like these people have, you end up having worthless children who have no idea what it is like to actually be human and have a huge disconnect between themselves and the rest of the world where they don't even see us as people but resources to be exploited and to be honest, when they get up to that level of income, they start to judge their own worth as a person based on it and it becomes less about making an income to provide and more about seeing who can get the higher top score.
    But thats the thing, you dont notice, or you just aren't paying attention, plenty of successful folks inherited nothing, were given nothing and are successful. But those folks are counter to your silver spoon arguement... Several examples to shoot holes in your claim, every single inner city kid that did make it big in sports, just to point at one particular group.

More people talking about economics that have no idea what the hell they are talking about yay!

Point A: The economy is actually fine omg who knew?!

Point B: As stated and mentioned countless times during the election, these voters wanted romney because he supports a model that only benefits corporation growth vs middle and lower class growth. To put it simply those two named companies, papa johns and whatever energy company that was wants in layman's terms more money in their pocket. What they are threatening to do has nothing to do with the actual economic growth and the plans obama has for the country.

Point C: Obama is actually in this term, following quite the opposite of his actual campaign promises. AKA he is investing in american environmentally unsafe policies. Reducing subsidies giving more jobs in the end goal which will cause the country to go into an economic expansion and giving us more money.

TL;DR stfu about the economy it's fine and secondly the expansion is happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seran View Post
    funny thing, for that 20B$ number you quoted... you can buy 120+ F-35s, as the flyaway cost is 154M, might want to check your facts, or cut the dishonesty next time.
    The flyaway cost is only 154M for the cheapest variant. Every other (and more commonly used) variants are over 200M.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Almost all I have heard of were heirs or old as hell. But I haven't read up too much on them.
    And here is why you learn what you are talking about before you let your fingers make you look um... foolish.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    There was a time when the minimum wage was considered just dandy. It's kept pace with inflation, and suddenly it's "sub-human". Time change, eh ?

We've had a 60 year policy of continually raising the minimum wage. What you want is more of the same. If you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll keep getting what you've been getting.

As for carbon copying Canada's system... why on Earth people can't be happy we got the ACA is beyond me. You're not even willing to give it a fucking chance before you decide that it's not enough.

Min wages have been falling behind a lot in the last few decades And it has NOT been keeping pace with inflation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...f-the-day.html

Not opinion just mere facts. this slacking behind is a major reason for all the welfare we have to pick up, think of it as WELFARE to WALMART since they arent paying a living wage someone has to pick up the tab and it is the taxpayer so infact we are subsiding walmart.

The price of cheap is anything but cheap when you factor in all costs around this business that hits the taxpayers in the end

If it wasnt for the increases in federal min wage that took place in 2008-2010 at the end of 2007 Min wage was when adjusted for inflation 41% LESS as in LOWER than it was in 1967. If losing 41% of the wage when adjusting for inflation is "kept pace with inflation" I hate to see what is not keeping pace with inflation.

Yeah there was a time when min wage was a decent wage but it was a long long time. And we have not continually been raising the min wage we have gone decades without it. Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007 contained 3 increases in the federal min wage that was at $5.15 at this point 5.85 6.55 and finally 7.25 was part of this Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007. We got the 5.15 level on September 1st 1997. we had 2 cases on min wage increases happening in the 1990s April 1990 was the 1st change of the min wage before that it had been laying unchanged since January of 1981. at the level of $3.35

""The federal minimum wage has never included a feature by which it automatically increases each year to ensure that it maintains its purchasing power. As a result, Congress has to act to provide such adjustments.

These adjustments have not always occurred in a timely fashion. Nonetheless, from 1938 to 1981, they did occur with enough regularity that the minimum wage generally either rose in purchasing power or remained relatively stable in real value."" Last being commentary from CBPP but it displays that up until 1981 min wage was mostly keeping pace with inflation after that it stopped.

And an interesting thing happened at the same time Reaganomics spread like a plague across the country. We have had right wing hard agenda being the business model for 30 years and this is where the welfare checks to corporations started to be given out and fast forward and min wage is slave wages no doubt about it since at just a few years ago it was slacking behind by over 40% in just keeping pace with inflation. That is a massive welfare check to guys like Schnatter that complains over having to pay 3-4 cent in healthcare per pizza he sells. Guess he didnt complain when wages never increased for decades while his profit did.

Hey!

Let's all get mad at this guy now.

"Florida Restaurateur to Impose Surcharge for ObamaCare".

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/florid...obamacare.html

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    Min wages have been falling behind a lot in the last few decades And it has NOT been keeping pace with inflation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...f-the-day.html

Not opinion just mere facts. this slacking behind is a major reason for all the welfare we have to pick up, think of it as WELFARE to WALMART since they arent paying a living wage someone has to pick up the tab and it is the taxpayer so infact we are subsiding walmart.

The price of cheap is anything but cheap when you factor in all costs around this business that hits the taxpayers in the end

If it wasnt for the increases in federal min wage that took place in 2008-2010 at the end of 2007 Min wage was when adjusted for inflation 41% LESS as in LOWER than it was in 1967. If losing 41% of the wage when adjusting for inflation is "kept pace with inflation" I hate to see what is not keeping pace with inflation.

Yeah there was a time when min wage was a decent wage but it was a long long time. And we have not continually been raising the min wage we have gone decades without it. Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007 contained 3 increases in the federal min wage that was at $5.15 at this point 5.85 6.55 and finally 7.25 was part of this Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007. We got the 5.15 level on September 1st 1997. we had 2 cases on min wage increases happening in the 1990s April 1990 was the 1st change of the min wage before that it had been laying unchanged since January of 1981. at the level of $3.35

""The federal minimum wage has never included a feature by which it automatically increases each year to ensure that it maintains its purchasing power. As a result, Congress has to act to provide such adjustments.

These adjustments have not always occurred in a timely fashion. Nonetheless, from 1938 to 1981, they did occur with enough regularity that the minimum wage generally either rose in purchasing power or remained relatively stable in real value."" Last being commentary from CBPP but it displays that up until 1981 min wage was mostly keeping pace with inflation after that it stopped.

And an interesting thing happened at the same time Reaganomics spread like a plague across the country. We have had right wing hard agenda being the business model for 30 years and this is where the welfare checks to corporations started to be given out and fast forward and min wage is slave wages no doubt about it since at just a few years ago it was slacking behind by over 40% in just keeping pace with inflation. That is a massive welfare check to guys like Schnatter that complains over having to pay 3-4 cent in healthcare per pizza he sells. Guess he didnt complain when wages never increased for decades while his profit did.
    HOLY SHIT DID YOU REALLY IGNORE MY ENTIRE POST POINTING OUT HOW MIN WAGE HAS KEPT UP WITH INFLATION? BOTH OF THEM?!

Minimum wage started in 1938. Why don't you take a look at what a chart that actually extends that far back looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by Riidii View Post
    Hey!

Let's all get mad at this guy now.

"Florida Restaurateur to Impose Surcharge for ObamaCare".

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/florid...obamacare.html
    I can't eat at Denny's, that food gives me the grippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zigzagzoom View Post
    I can't eat at Denny's, that food gives me the grippers.
    Funny part is, Obamacare doesn't affect them by 5%. That surcharge is basically an excuse to gouge.

Now if a place like Starbucks were to follow suit, minds would be blown. Not saying they are. But Denny's, not so much.

Funny part is, Obamacare doesn't affect them by 5%. That surcharge is basically an excuse to gouge.
    Obamacare could well affect them by 5%.

Restaurants are allowed to pay their workers a fraction of the minimum wage because of tips. Because of that, an increase in spending from ACA is more likely a much larger percentage of their expenditures than it would be for corporate Papa Johns.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Obamacare could well affect them by 5%.

Restaurants are allowed to pay their workers a fraction of the minimum wage because of tips. Because of that, an increase in spending from ACA is more likely a much larger percentage of their expenditures than it would be for corporate Papa Johns.
    I'll believe it when I see it. Preemptive surcharges, however, are ludicrous.

PS: The dude has 40 locations (with average of 35 workers per) and has health insurance coverage for 250 of them.

That's bullshit.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2012-11-16 at 07:03 PM.

I'll believe it when I see it. Preemptive surcharges, however, are ludicrous.
    Do you have access to his records?

Why do you automatically assume he's using Obamacare as an excuse to gouge when he's well within his rights to raise prices in response to increased costs?

You guys seem to get update when companies DON'T raise their prices and instead attempt to appeal the decision and you get upset when they DO raise prices and don't fight it.