Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well, I joined a warzone today as Preferred status. Could only play with 2 action bars so I was at a huge disdvantage. I joined a game with 2 minutes remaining to play. 2 minutes later I only have 4 more Warzones left to play. This is a debacle.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    Well, I joined a warzone today as Preferred status. Could only play with 2 action bars so I was at a huge disdvantage. I joined a game with 2 minutes remaining to play. 2 minutes later I only have 4 more Warzones left to play. This is a debacle.
    Very valid point. One we didn't even think to rant about yet, but yes...the potential to get screwed is limitless. I hope that they quickly reverse their stance on limited fps/wzs

Quote Originally Posted by Northy View Post
    That was one of the things I was worried about, thanks for confirming. How are the queue times? I wonder what the queue times will be like in a month also when most of the 50 trials and preferred's decide its not worth the time.

I was going to do a WZ, but then figured what is the purpose if I couldn't equip the gear that I was going to use the points on anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
    Anyone know if F2P accounts can actually post on the official forums? I was able to post earlier but now I can't for some reason...
    I think they said somewhere that F2P acocunts wouldn't have access to the forums, but i am not 100% sure on that.

So what if I had 2 Million credits when I left and the credit cap is 350K now. Will I have access to my credits?
    "Peace is a lie"

Excess credits get put into escrow that you don't have access to. When you spend some of your credits and get under the cap you get the option to withdraw credit from that escrow acct up to the limit.

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Good to see you xcitement.
    Thanks. I haven't gone home from work yet but I'm getting more and more afraid to even try logging in. From what I'm seeing I'm gonna get royaly pissed off and I don't want to tarnish the good memories I had with SW:TOR.

Let me state that I loved the game while I played but I refused to pay EA/BioWare to develop a cash shop. Right now from what I'm seeing I'm glad I didn't keep giving them my money. Charging people for standard amount of hotkey bars is just wrong. 5 warzones per week is a serious WTF I thought the number would be like 25. 1 WZ ends in like 15mins. I can't even form a party!?!? WTF!?!?!?

I knew EA was some greedy bastards but this takes the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcitement View Post
    Thanks. I haven't gone home from work yet but I'm getting more and more afraid to even try logging in. From what I'm seeing I'm gonna get royaly pissed off and I don't want to tarnish the good memories I had with SW:TOR.

Let me state that I loved the game while I played but I refused to pay EA/BioWare to develop a cash shop. Right now from what I'm seeing I'm glad I didn't keep giving them my money. Charging people for standard amount of hotkey bars is just wrong. 5 warzones per week is a serious WTF I thought the number would be like 25. 1 WZ ends in like 15mins. I can't even form a party!?!? WTF!?!?!?

I knew EA was some greedy bastards but this takes the cake.
    The preferred status is pretty good. I'm almost done with finishing my GS and BH and then I'm going ftp. With a 40 dollar investment I will essentially have half a years worth of subscription for pvp.

Its not as bad as most people are saying.

Edit: Just so its 100% clear. This is not an endorsement of this model. I do not support it. It is an extended trial.

Edit: xcitement, you haven't been around so I will catch you up. What EA is calling a "f2p" model doesn't fit the definition that most of industry has for f2p. You can not purchase access to the end game. Those "passes" only grant access to normal WZs and story mode ops. As you can not access end game regardless of how much money you throw at it, it is not a "model" it is a trial.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-11-16 at 08:07 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    The preferred status is pretty good. I'm almost done with finishing my GS and BH and then I'm going ftp. With a 40 dollar investment I will essentially have half a years worth of subscription for pvp.

Its not as bad as most people are saying.

Edit: Just so its 100% clear. This is not an endorsement of this model. I do not support it. It is an extended trial.

Edit: xcitement, you haven't been around so I will catch you up. What EA is calling a "f2p" model doesn't fit the definition that most of industry has for f2p. You can not purchase access to the end game. Those "passes" only grant access to normal WZs and story mode ops. As you can not access end game regardless of how much money you throw at it, it is not a "model" it is a trial.
    I'm getting this feeling. I don't think I'm even going to bother logging in. I'm going to miss my beloved chars but I have mourned them and partly moved on already when the announcement came back then. Time to say my final fare well to the game and uninstall the client.

Let me be clear. I am not saying I want everything for free for I was against the Free model in the first place. However what they're offering is NOT going to convince old ones to return. Sure they'll get some new players but not enough as they're hoping. EA has let their greed place the final nail in the coffin. I am truly sad to see the game I loved go this route.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcitement View Post
    I'm getting this feeling. I don't think I'm even going to bother logging in. I'm going to miss my beloved chars but I have mourned them and partly moved on already when the announcement came back then. Time to say my final fare well to the game and uninstall the client.

Let me be clear. I am not saying I want everything for free for I was against the Free model in the first place. However what they're offering is NOT going to convince old ones to return. Sure they'll get some new players but not enough as they're hoping. EA has let their greed place the final nail in the coffin. I am truly sad to see the game I loved go this route.
    If you're sure, man. I mean, it's definitely not perfect but if you liked it before you unsubscribed you're going to like it now as a subscriber. Also, if you are a pvp only guy you can play the game for half off just like you would normally. I mean, I'm not going to tell you what to do, just saying that unless you were a raider the EET (expensive extended trial) is totally viable.

Their are 2 things bugging me about the f2p model from Bioware.

First the limited character-slots for all except for those that pay a monthly fee

I can understand that Bioware prefers that people pay a monthly fee but tbh if your going for f2p then it is your job to milk as much money as you can from your customers. Of course those those that don;t pay will level slower (and not just because of the reduced XP) but eventually in a few months people have 2 characters at lvl 50. It is naive to think that a person who levelled 2 characters for free has any interest in paying a monthly free, they will probably willing to pay for coins for additional character slots. The more character a person is willing to level chances are the more that same person is willing to spend money.

Their are a few other things (like chat and mail) which I find restrictions unneeded because because they are annoying and resulting in scaring people away. The goal is to have people play more while at the same time not to piss them off with to much restrictions. You want to give them enough feature's so they pay for more but putting restrictions on small things like chat and mail is more of a annoyance compared to limited access to flashpoints.

Maybe Bioware will change some of the feature's a f2p person gets in a few months because the end goal is to make money and the only way you can make money is if you can manage to keep people playing.

If you are doing a trial50, simply make another email account, and create a new SWTOR account. Bam, 2 additional character accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Their are 2 things bugging me about the f2p model from Bioware.

First the limited character-slots for all except for those that pay a monthly fee

I can understand that Bioware prefers that people pay a monthly fee but tbh if your going for f2p then it is your job to milk as much money as you can from your customers. Of course those those that don;t pay will level slower (and not just because of the reduced XP) but eventually in a few months people have 2 characters at lvl 50. It is naive to think that a person who levelled 2 characters for free has any interest in paying a monthly free, they will probably willing to pay for coins for additional character slots. The more character a person is willing to level chances are the more that same person is willing to spend money.

Their are a few other things (like chat and mail) which I find restrictions unneeded because because they are annoying and resulting in scaring people away. The goal is to have people play more while at the same time not to piss them off with to much restrictions. You want to give them enough feature's so they pay for more but putting restrictions on small things like chat and mail is more of a annoyance compared to limited access to flashpoints.

Maybe Bioware will change some of the feature's a f2p person gets in a few months because the end goal is to make money and the only way you can make money is if you can manage to keep people playing.
    Restricting chat options is definitely disturbing. MMOs are built off community. If you are segregated from the community, for example: by being muted, how can you develop connections? How can you make friends? Without those attachments people are FAR more likely to go back to the community they are already invested in (their previous MMO or their real life).

The lack of ability to buy character slots is disturbing. Period. You should be able to buy up to at least 8 slots. I have never seen a model that didn't let you buy character slots. Why would they not do this? Its just weird.

Also, why won't they let me buy access to end game? Do they not want my money?

10+ Year Old Account
    I quite agree on the character slots problem. And anything the prevents me from using my higher levels to help my lower ones. Just plain ridiculous

I could see limiting chat, cut down on spammers and gold selling, etc.

But not being able to use emotes unless you pay a fee????

10+ Year Old Account
    according to the list of restrictions for free/preferred players, if you are not subbed then you are restricted in customer support
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Deleted
    5 warzones per week. oh and the ability not to choose from quest rewards. isnt it great? arent we thankful?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisa View Post
    5 warzones per week. oh and the ability not to choose from quest rewards. isnt it great? arent we thankful?
    actually you can, just you can't choose the lockboxes and there is no point in getting any epics you happen to find
    Quote Originally Posted by ohshift View Post
    Mess with someone's head enough, you can turn a scared little kid into an all powerful bitch.
    only two things are infinite the universe, and human stupidity,
    and i'm not too sure about the universe -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Excess credits get put into escrow that you don't have access to. When you spend some of your credits and get under the cap you get the option to withdraw credit from that escrow acct up to the limit.
    How do you transfer from escrow to your account? I spent a ton of credits, and couldn't figure it out. I looked everywhere under the currency tab.

Side note:
    Be careful with some quests: some don't allow you to pick any reward (because that costs extra) but the quest still closes and completes.

I'm not entirely sure Ariakul. My understanding was there was supposed to be a pop-up that asked you or that you would get at it through the cargo hold, just going by comments they have made. I sadly have no way of checking on it though