Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

Raiding Tips and Tricks - MoP Edition

This thread is for everyone to post their tips and tricks for this tier of raiding. I've been reading over the forums the last few weeks and found some useful information - and thought it would be good to have it all in one place. I will update this thread as others make contributions.

MSV:
    Stone Guard
    • The Stone Guard - Master's Call - Cobalt Bomb, removes the root, and makes you immune from rooting when you break them.
    • Deterrence works on Cobalt bombs to negate damage/root
    • Posthaste removes movement slow effect from Petrification

Feng
    • You can deterrence Arcane Resonance and Epicentre

H-Gara'jal
    • If you have to go down with a totem your spirit beast heal gives a couple stacks and your healthstone does to

N & H-Spirit Kings
    • Use Tranq shot glyph to help with Delirious dispells
    • Apparently you can disengage over Flanking Orders with perfect timing
    • You can deterrence through Flanking Orders
    • You can Deterrence Pinning Arrows on The Spirit Kings, you have a split second between him targeting you and the arrows going off to do it - you can also BW out of a pinning arrow if it's available
    • Don't use glaive toss when a shield/sleight of hand is comming up on Spirit kings heroic. The pass-through will trigger the abilities, and the same goes for the returning glaive damag
    • Don't use glaive toss during a MC you slow everyone

H-Elegon
    • You can not deterrence soak an exploding protector but you can mitigate some of the damage through the damage reduction it gives.
    • You can not disengage over a "blue fire pillar wall"
    • Explosive Trap where the adds spawn is better. It effects the boss and the adds
    • If you're SV for this - Keep BA up on Elegon during spark phases for LnL procs and multishot the middle add right as they spawn to get serpent sting on all three on your side.

Will of the Emps
    • On heroic hunters can deterrence the sparks - spec into the "Crouching Tiger" talent
    • Spirit Bond gives you more effective heal than Iron Hawk, because all the damage comes from titan gas aoe (8-9k heal each 2 sec compared to 2*15k*0.15 = 4.5k reduction from Iron Hawk in 2 seconds)
    • H - On Heroic Will, at least for 25 man, using Glyph of Black Ice makes you move a lot faster, which helps you soak more sparks.

HOF:

Blade Lord Ta'yak
    • If you use the strat of stacking in melee for Unseen Strike - don't use CDs before that happens. Drop a explo trap in the down time waiting for him to respawn
    • You can deterrence the raid damage from Unseen Strike (but not if it is on you) - spec into the "Crouching Tiger" talent
    • After the first round of dodging tornados, when the boss is around 11-12% you can step into the windstream on the side of the hallwall and use it to move you quickly down the hall so you will be at the end as the boss flies back at 10% - you must be careful to step out of the windstream at 10% because it will reverse direction
    • Spirit bond could be a good talent to choose for the healing during the tornado phases - Spirit Bond heals for about 8-9k every 2 seconds, or 4000-4500 every second. This helps negate much of the constant damage that you'd take every second during the tornado phase. Iron Hawk only reduces each tick by 1500 damage or so.

Imperial Vizier Zor'lok
    • You can deterrence Force & Verve
    • You can use intimidation to CC MC'd people
    • H- if you're a panda make sure you keep your panda racial ability on CD so it isn't used during the MCs
    • H - zooming your camera in closer will help a ton with avoiding the attenuation orbs
    • remember to call back your pet on platform changes - it's a one shot if he gets to the boss before the tank
    • If you use cower, you do not have to hold back your pet during the pull, or during the transition 'landing

Garalon
    • You can deterrence some of the Crush damage (heroic)

Wind Lord Mel'Jarak
    • You can deterrence rain of blades

Amber Shaper

• On amber shaper un'sok you can deterrence the amber explosion from any source and you can deterrence the stomp just in in case you are in melee for the adds.

Empress:
    • Hunters will never get the debuff in p1 and will never have to use the dissonance fields
    • You can deterrence the cone fear in the last phase and not be feared or take damage
    • H - Stay in melee range (spread few yards cus of aoe dmg) since you can't get the Cry of Terror debuff and yer just taking some space from people that need to run into the fields. Not to mention you can get buff from big add in case your strategy sports saving one for P3.
    • H- you can deterrence the corrupted fields
    • Maximize the poison debuff's uptime, as it scales with SV's mastery to do quite some damage - be in range, if someone is spreading it, keep track of when the debuff will expire, etc.
    • The 'Heart of Fear' debuff, in the last phase, can be safely removed with FD - nobody takes damage as a result
    • In the last phase, you can use Deterrence when you get the fear debuff to reduce the damage taken from the tick, as a precaution to take less damage, should you not get instantly dispelled. It will not make you immune to the fear, but it will definitely help the healers, which gets quite intensive in the last phase.

Terrace:

Protectors
    • H - Obvious but I'll include it: Protectors HC try to have a frost trap up at the area the adds run trough, gives a decent slow and if you're SV you get extra LnL procs on the spot
    • H - lightning storm can be deterrenced (although it's easy enough to avoid)

Tsulong
    • Deterrence helps avoid damage and fear effect from Nightmares zone that spawn under your feet
    • Binding shot, intimidation works on Tsulong adds. Blink strike is really good here too if you don't have dash up all the time - So does entrapment, if you're planning to go survival.
    • Explosive Trap is also useful in the day phase should an add get too close to the boss

Lei Shi

• H- remember not to use Glaive Toss during the add phase - you'll break the CC
    • H- if you're a fog soaker, use a lock portal to get you quickly to the boss during get away
    • H - you can also deterrence "get away" if you have high stacks and it's starting to get scary
    • Consider Blink Strike over Crows (due to the unpredictable "hides")
    • H- Since hunter's doesnt have anything but AoE pets in BM and Explo trap, a good thing is asking an engineer to make you a Goblin Dragon Gun to use during Hide - http://www.wowhead.com/item=86607

Sha of Fear:

• You can deterrence Breath of Fear from the Sha of Fear encounter in Terrace of Endless Spring, won't get feared or take damage
    • you can deterrence Death Blossom
    • During a wipe, you can FD on one of the platforms and if you live you will be teleported back to the start of the fight
    • H - deterrence "Huddle in Fear" - even though you won't know ahead of time if you will be targeted for it
    • H- readiness doesn't reset in P2 with all the other CDs - neither will your pot CD
    • H- barrage and SV seem to be the best options
    • H- get a mod called "Dread Spray VR" - it will show you where the safe zones are (there is another similar mod but it doesn't appear to be as reliable)
    • H- DBM also has a Dread Spray option - but it involves memorizing a starting position for each platform and then you just move once when directed to by DBM - see here for map - not as confusing as it seems once you become familiar with the patterns.

Edited through post 273 - 2/6/13
    Last edited by eschatological; 2013-03-29 at 09:44 PM.

You can Deterrence Pinning Arrows on The Spirit Kings, you have a split second between him targeting you and the arrows going off to do it. I've been wondering if the same could be done for Wind Steps on Blade Lord Ta'yak.

And I think your Ta'yak is under the wrong raid:P.
    Last edited by timoseewho; 2012-11-16 at 09:17 PM.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Quote Originally Posted by timoseewho View Post

And I think your Ta'yak is under the wrong raid:P.

Oops.. and fixed.

Good to know about pinning arrows.

Mogu'shan Vaults

The Stone Guard - Master's Call - Cobalt Bomb, removes the root, and makes you immune from rooting when you break them.

Feng the Accursed - Deterrence - Arcane Resonance, Epicentre to deflect all of the damage.

Heart of Fear

Imperial Vizier Zor'lok - Deterrence - Force & Verve to deflect all of the damage
    Last edited by Namarus; 2012-11-16 at 08:48 PM.

Anyone experimented with Mirrored Blades glyph?

I'm pretty sure you can't Deterrence Flanking orders. You can also deterrence the Breath of Fear from the Sha of Fear encounter in Terrace of Endless Spring, won't get feared or take damage.

Dett 100% works against Flanking Order. You must be doing it late, or not at all. Mirrored Blades doesn't have an affect against Feng during Arcane phase, and has seemed to be useless on other fights during progression from what I have tested. It also doesn't reflect the blades from Wind Lord. It has to be a direct spell like a frostbolt or something to reflect it, and most fights use intense raid healing instead of direct spells as random targets. Best to go with Dett glyph which reduces dmg to 50% on most fights as of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Neteyes View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't Deterrence Flanking orders. You can also deterrence the Breath of Fear from the Sha of Fear encounter in Terrace of Endless Spring, won't get feared or take damage.

We are currently working on 25m H-Spirit Kings and both myself and the other hunter have been able to deterrence Flanking Orders

Er, you can absolutely disengage through Flanking Order. I've done it several times. You just hit disengage before they hit you, and you'll fly right behind them without being registered as being hit. The disengage glyph might screw that up, though.

Spirit Bond is very helpful during Blade Lord Ta'yak's tornado phase, which is the only part of the fight that really matters. Iron Hawk is superior for the group-up parts of the first phase, but those shouldn't be lethal anyway. Spirit Bond heals for about 8-9k every 2 seconds, or 4000-4500 every second. This helps negate much of the constant damage that you'd take every second during the tornado phase. Iron Hawk only reduces each tick by 1500 damage or so.

Binding Shot is awesome on Will of the Emperors for stunning the large groups of Emperor's Rages.
    Binding Shot is a great potential stun for the small adds on Elegon.
    Last edited by Penguintamer; 2012-11-16 at 10:28 PM.

I personally haven't tried to Disengage through flanking, but if you're testing it, make sure you don't Disengage RIGHT before they're gonna hit you, otherwise your phantom might be hit by it, ceasing it to work.

Do: A | B
    Not do: A| B
    with the | being flanking lol going from point A to B.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    Er, you can absolutely disengage through Flanking Order. I've done it several times. .
    I've done it twice and died twice - I concede that it might be possible but on heroic there are 2 Flanking Orders and all kinds of other crap going on - and like I said - I've died each time I tried it.

Deleted
    On elegon, whilst you can't disengage through the fire wall, you can jump into the pit then disengage out again on the other side.

EDIT: Oh and disengage through flanking orders depends entirely on their current swing position. It's really hit and miss. You could theoretically time it perfectly, but I don't recommend it.

Deleted
    You can totally disengage over flaking orders. I do it every time to help positioning myself. I have yet to die trying.

Deleted
    Mirrored Blades on Vizier Zor'lok lets you deflect spells if you get mc'd, not like its helpful, but still fun to do.

And if you get hit by Pinning arrow on Spirit Kings you can bw out of it, but that's 'common sense'
    Last edited by mmoc09c24e3d7e; 2012-11-17 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguintamer View Post
    Er, you can absolutely disengage through Flanking Order. I've done it several times. You just hit disengage before they hit you, and you'll fly right behind them without being registered as being hit. The disengage glyph might screw that up, though.

Spirit Bond is very helpful during Blade Lord Ta'yak's tornado phase, which is the only part of the fight that really matters. Iron Hawk is superior for the group-up parts of the first phase, but those shouldn't be lethal anyway. Spirit Bond heals for about 8-9k every 2 seconds, or 4000-4500 every second. This helps negate much of the constant damage that you'd take every second during the tornado phase. Iron Hawk only reduces each tick by 1500 damage or so.

Binding Shot is awesome on Will of the Emperors for stunning the large groups of Emperor's Rages.
    Binding Shot is a great potential stun for the small adds on Elegon.
    You can just aswell just walk through them. You just need to time it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    On elegon, whilst you can't disengage through the fire wall, you can jump into the pit then disengage out again on the other side.

so...are you saying it's a bug - i.e. you fall in the pit and disengage and it puts you out on the other side? OR - you jump and disengage in the air before you fall in the pit?

Quote Originally Posted by bellatrex View Post
    so...are you saying it's a bug - i.e. you fall in the pit and disengage and it puts you out on the other side? OR - you jump and disengage in the air before you fall in the pit?
    I'd say the later.

---------- Post added 2012-11-17 at 02:49 AM ----------

I feel like posting this, but it is for a dungeon. On the siege of niuzao temple dungeon on the last boss you can disengage (glyph preffered, but not needed) and goblin glide from the very edge of the bridge you pull the boss on to get the crit buff for the achievement Run with the Wind. Could be useful for challenge modes... idk. It has to be done in one swift motion though.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Killed Heroic Will of the Emperor last night. We are one of the few classes that can pop the sparks and take no damage with deterrence. Speced for 1 min CD it will be up for either every other set of rages, if you are killing them. It is up for every courage as well if you are assigned to soak those.

Deterrence works on Cobalt bombs to negate damage/root, too. Not just Master's Call.
    You *CAN* soak an add on elegon, considering it gives you a 30% (50% glyphed) dmg reduc - it's not gonna deflect the dmg, but you're not gonna die, either, and hunters are better soakers than most as we get a total of 50+15% reduc.
    Deterrencing through flanking orders is the same concept as tornado's on al'akir - when you jump, your character is still registred as being on the position you jumped from, untill you land. Which means if you have say:

X |||| Y and you jump from X to Y through the wall, nothing will happen, as you never physicall stood in ||||. If the wall moves to your X position before you land on Y, you'll get gibbed.
    Flanking orders hits every second or so, which means you can totall walk through them if you time it right (read: luck out), too.

Same goes for shield's on Feng, by the way - I always disengage out a few second early, as the shield will keep protecting me, while in the air.

Don't use glaive toss when a shield/sleight of hand is comming up on Spirit kings heroic. The pass-through will trigger the abilities, and the same goes for the returning glaive damage - so when you fire it, it's not just one second you're in danger of triggering something, it's more like three. Had a few bad calls with sleight of hand with this one, and a guildy managed to hit Zian's Darkness shield as he shot an add with glaive toss that kited the glaive through Zian.

Keep BA up on Elegon during spark phases for LnL procs.
    Multishot the middle add right as they spawn to get serpent sting on all three on your side.

Vizier in HoF does not control your pet, only you - thus intimidation does not need to be put on CD for MC's, and can be used to control other MC'd people if you do not get converted, without danger to the raid.

On heroic, Crush is on a set timer, and can thus be mitigated by 50% for every other with a glyphed + talented Deterrence, giving your healers a major break on Garalon.

The adds in the day-phase of the Tsulong encounter can be rooted/stunned/slowed, so entrapment made me able to smash two to three adds out of the way alone (1M hp per).
    Dunno if there's more, 4:30 AM so brain is going wonky.

beast cleave + heroic wind lord recklessness = big dmg