Page 1 of 36
... LastLast

Have they taken F2P restrictions a little too far?

I know they're giving us a game for free now (apart from buying the initial game in the first place, I don't know if the 'F2P' extends to the actual game itself now) and they're well within their rights to tell us what we can and can't do now we're not paying them anything..

But restricting your exp gain? Only two character slots? Isn't that a bit harsh? I don't know what this means for others of you that are playing F2P SWtOR, but the idea that there are certain things that I'll have to pay for to properly enjoy the game pisses me off a little bit.. To the point that i'd rather just wait until christmas and play Guild Wars 2.

What do you guys think?

slime

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alexday14 View Post
    I know they're giving us a game for free now (apart from buying the initial game in the first place, I don't know if the 'F2P' extends to the actual game itself now) and they're well within their rights to tell us what we can and can't do now we're not paying them anything..

But restricting your exp gain? Only two character slots? Isn't that a bit harsh? I don't know what this means for others of you that are playing F2P SWtOR, but the idea that there are certain things that I'll have to pay for to properly enjoy the game pisses me off a little bit.. To the point that i'd rather just wait until christmas and play Guild Wars 2.

What do you guys think?
    I agree on the xp reduction. Seems too harsh. The lvl 1-50 ride is amazing and diluting that feeling by slowing down the xp rate seems a pity. However I don't think that the 2 slots are too little. One Republic and one Imperial. Sounds ok to me.

Those are actually pretty normal f2p restrictions to be honest. I think I read something about having to buy UI elements like more action/tool bars....THAT is a little too far imo.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    yes the game is totally free, no need to purchase the original game now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitobunny View Post
    Those are actually pretty normal f2p restrictions to be honest. I think I read something about having to buy UI elements like more action/tool bars....THAT is a little too far imo.
    can you name any other games that are f2p and restrict xp and character slots? I can't remember any f2p game I've ever played, years ago or recently doing it. Most f2p games have a marketplace you spend money to buy fake currency for clothing and increasing an already large inventory, or gaining double xp, stuff like that. This is just an incredibly greedy f2p model and it's not going to work for them very well.

Another thing is about creating new characters- Obviously the following isn't at all an issue for people that were subscribed before, but I fear it may be in the future.

You're only allowed to choose between two out of the plethora of available races when creating a new character, and I belive you're not allowed to unlock a race across all possible classes when getting one to level 50.

slime

Don't forget only 2 action bars. that restricts my gameplay
    It got me so mad i was about to re-sub, but ill wait till my buddies come back as well
    Bane

They refuse to sell access to hard mode operations or ranked warzones.

I think those are the biggest restrictions.

Shortly followed by not selling more character slots.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

They definitely took it too far. They crossed the line like 2 miles ago.

I cannot imagine that a game in this state can attract new players in any way, but hey I'm sure they have valid reason to be this greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by ironfists View Post
    Don't forget only 2 action bars. that restricts my gameplay
    It got me so mad i was about to re-sub, but ill wait till my buddies come back as well

Sadly, I think that might be what they were going for- To hook you back into the game with the shiny allure of 'Free to Play', then slap you on the back of the head with a giant sticker that reads 'Give us money to enjoy the Game!'

slime

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    well in my humble opinion a free to play model is just there to let you experience decent stuff in hopes that you purchase a subscription. in my opinion the f2p model swtor has adapted is more like a free trial on steroids. their plan is to entice you enough with the content that theres to get you to either purchase stuff from the store or buy a sub.

i dont know about the exp rate but as long as they dont prevent you, fully, from gaining levels i see no problem with it. if you are capable to level from 1-50, even if its at a slower rate than normal, youre getting a good deal as you havent paid a dime for it. the story is, again in my own opinion, the best part of the game. allowing virtually everyone to experience that, completely free, is a hell of a good deal.

if you are a casual player who only plays a few hours a week, this f2p model is amazing and the casual gamer is the target in a majority of the online games anymore these days. im currently a subscriber and will probably continue to be one for quite awhile, ive been subbed since release. there are still a few classes i havent leveled all the way thru as i am one of these targetted casuals. if i decide to unsub its still refreshing to know that i can level two characters to 50 for the low low price of 0 dollars, even if it is at a slow rate.

tldr - i think the f2p model is fine, its targetted for casual players in hopes that their experience is good enough for them to purchase cartel coins, or a sub

10+ Year Old Account
    Their monetization of it all is a bit over the top, but if they believe people will waste the bandwidth to get a copy and play under the restrictions that have been set, then more power to them, it barely seems worth it and some of the restrictions are just stupid.

More like "free to play......if you dare"
    HOOKED ON DIABLOL, GOOD TIMES ARE BEING HAD

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    can you name any other games that are f2p and restrict xp and character slots? I can't remember any f2p game I've ever played, years ago or recently doing it. Most f2p games have a marketplace you spend money to buy fake currency for clothing and increasing an already large inventory, or gaining double xp, stuff like that. This is just an incredibly greedy f2p model and it's not going to work for them very well.
    World of Tanks will limit your credit gain and garage slots if youre not a premium member, at least this was the case last time i played, its been a few months since i have

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alexday14 View Post
    Sadly, I think that might be what they were going for- To hook you back into the game with the shiny allure of 'Free to Play', then slap you on the back of the head with a giant sticker that reads 'Give us money to enjoy the Game!'
    Who wants to pay though when the developers are being that obnoxious with the limitations. For a lot of people the game is pretty sub-par anyway which is why they went F2P in the first place. Making the game incredibly annoying and limited ontop of that is not going to help anything.

They should be opening up the limitations to get new blood into the game, not restricting the freedom out of it so people feel forced to pay for a game which advertises "FREE - TO - PLAY"

I think they missed the point of going F2P in the first place: To get back players.

If you kill the fun for F2P people so hard and fast what they feel is the urge to go play something else, not the urge to pay.

The only way that they could take "f2p restrictions too far" is to make you pay to be able to access any and all aspects of the game... Since you still have the ability to play in even some small regard, without giving the company any money whatsoever...? Yeah, not quite restricting, in that regard.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

Quote Originally Posted by chocobo606 View Post
    f2p game that restricts character slots, sure, DCUO except that you are restricted to 6 character slots which is enough for one each of the original 6 power sources (classes).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    They refuse to sell access to hard mode operations or ranked warzones.

I think those are the biggest restrictions.

Shortly followed by not selling more character slots.
    You can buy an Operations pass... which allows you to do Operations. Even on the PTS you can buy it and enter in Hardmode or Nightmare Operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    You can buy an Operations pass... which allows you to do Operations. Even on the PTS you can buy it and enter in Hardmode or Nightmare Operations.
    Not according to a QnA they did like last month.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with the SWTOR model is that the restrictions tend to build on each other making them far more severe.

You are restricted to 200k credits which seems ok but add in the restriction of 20 commendations per planet, and the increased vendor cost.

1 crew skill plus limited access to the trade network which limits the ability of players to create gear. It also limits the subscribers market due to the fact that the F2P players could have been a great market for them to sell to. Solution- Give F2P players limited selling slots but unlimited buying.

Lack of bag space plus zero access to bank space is overkill. All I can do now is sell everything.