Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Thirteen is definitely old enough. I just wouldn't let him go into vent/Skype unsupervised; IMO, that's where the worst language/themes can come to the surface because most of the people on there are bored.

Deleted
    I would go for it, there are far worser gaming communities out there then WoW, if you ever played shooters on xbox live you probably are familiar with rage kids with a mic.

Let him, but moderate him.

I dont mean moderation about swearing or similar stuff, seriously whoever believes 13 years dont swear or an innocent is blind and deaf now days, the television and the internet made sure of that.

Do NOT allow the game or games to be his main objective of free time though, try to make him understand from early on its a game AFTER his sports/classes etc whatever he does, most kids/teens nowdays forget that and literally destroy themselves over games, whether its WoW, or LoL or some other game.

If he goes to public school, I can pretty much guarantee he's been exposed to much worse language and actions than anything he'll see in the game. He's definitely old enough.

I personally wouldn't make anybody play WoW unless they expressed their own interest (kinda like Raybourne implied) because I just don't think the style of questing and then going into instanced scenarios MMOs is conducive to creativity/entertainment anymore, but hey maybe it'd actually feel more unique than a console game like Borderlands at that age. I'm probably worn out! Realistically, though, I don't see the harm in asking him beforehand he's played it before and associated it as being "your account."

(aside: and most trolls online are definitely older kids who thing they've figured out life because they've come to learn how "cool" it is to think everybody else in the world but them is a total buffoon.)
    Last edited by Confirm Deny; 2012-11-18 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    No, but he enjoys playing and I figure he would appreciate having his own account.
    How about asking him what he wants?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Let him, but moderate him.

I dont mean moderation about swearing or similar stuff, seriously whoever believes 13 years dont swear or an innocent is blind and deaf now days, the television and the internet made sure of that.

Do NOT allow the game or games to be his main objective of free time though, try to make him understand from early on its a game AFTER his sports/classes etc whatever he does, most kids/teens nowdays forget that and literally destroy themselves over games, whether its WoW, or LoL or some other game.
    this man summed it up. if he would enjoy his own account then sure. plus its something you can both do together. However you must be very careful that it doesnt take over his life. Weve all seen the youtube vids of kids throwing temper tantrums cause theyve been told to log off. NEVER let it get to that stage.

---------- Post added 2012-11-18 at 02:06 AM ----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOYQsY-BjPA

basicly you want to avoid this!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Dude, get him an account already!!!! As soon as my oldest can read the quests, he's getting his own account. There's worse things in the real world then some game chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    How about asking him what he wants?
    I've already bought most of what he's asked for. The account is more of a surprise gift.
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k 3.4GHz | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB DDR3-1866 | GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB (2-Way SLI) | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45
    Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler; 200mm Fans x3; | Case: HAF 922 | PSU: Corsair Pro 750W

80+ FPS in Raids on Ultra. Stay mad.
    This setup no longer hits 80+ FPS in raids on Ultra. Stay sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any excuse to buy a 2nd account eh lol
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Personally I think you're treating your kid like hes in the 90s & 5 years old. Hes 12 and this is 2012... most kids nowadays got their own cellphones, computers, etc. Hell, even when I was 12 I was gaming on my own. IMO you need to let your kid live & stop sheltering him.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as he is responsible enough to manage it I say go for it. I've been a gamer for about a decade and a half now and I can say it isn't the cause of all problems, there are some that I've had and dealt with without quitting gaming by learning to game in a healthy manner(ie: no more 6 hour straight gaming sessions, drinking plenty of water, remembering to eat, knowing when to stop in order to get to sleep at a reasonable time). If any problem(s) develop I suggest working though them rather than just saying "Okay, no more games," because then you're just ignoring the issue rather than addressing it. Self-moderation is a very useful skill to learn and games can be one way of learning it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    Personally I think you're treating your kid like hes in the 90s & 5 years old. Hes 12 and this is 2012... most kids nowadays got their own cellphones, computers, etc. Hell, even when I was 12 I was gaming on my own. IMO you need to let your kid live & stop sheltering him.
    How exactly does him not having his own account mean I'm sheltering him?

Deleted
    I don't see a problem with him getting an account of his own, but please, don't let him play for hours without a stop and use the parental options things.

You don't want him to play too much or get overly addicted to the game.

Sure buy it for him i don't see the harm. But, the language of some in the community may cause him to ask you questions about the meaning of certain words >.>

15+ Year Old Account
    Go for it. I personally had to almost beg my mother to let me have an account, her conditions were that I kept my grades up and that I paid for half of the monthly fee (I got an allowance, (can't learn about handling money if you don't have money to handle))

Depending on what level of finances you provide/allow your children to have (see: some form of allowance/paid for chores/etc.) then you could try what my mother did, as sort of a lesson about money as well as letting them play.

Make them buy the game and then pay half of the monthly fee. That half of the monthly fee goes into an envelope or bank account that is theirs if they are a "good child" when they graduate Middle school/High School/Go to College/ they deserved it in some way.

Teaches that the game DOES cost money and creates a bit of money that he may get later on. (assuming you do this until he graduates HS, that's about $450 that could be a graduation present.)
    Last edited by mistuhbull; 2012-11-18 at 02:37 AM.
    Theron/Bloodwatcher 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Alsompr View Post
    Teasing, misdirection. It's the opposite of a spoiler. People expect one thing? BAM! Another thing happens.

I'm like M. Night fucking Shamylan.

Yes but with parental control hours and whatnot. You wouldn't want him to ruin his life, would you?

I let my 5yo make lowbies on a trial account. He rarely gets toons past lvl 4. Language filters on (though he can just read the bare essentials ATM anyway) and we're gtg.

Yeah, 13 would be a good age for a paid account. I see people saying they wouldn't want to play with a 13yo, but he doesn't necessarily have to join a raid group and certainly can find a guild that is somewhat appropriate. Hell, my first guild leader was a 15yo boy and he was surprisingly mature and competent (he didn't talk in vent much so most of us wouldn't know his age). Plenty of kids are on Xbox that age, and as someone else mentioned that community is definitely worse (is it because they don't ban like WoW?).

Anyway, sounds like a cool gift to me, and appropriate for his age. The best part is it will be something you can do together. I used to raid with a father/son team of tank/heals. He was a little older, but they got to spend a lot of time having fun together even though the son lived with his mom. Pretty great, really.

Deleted
    I started playing WoW when I was 13 with no parental controls. There was no issue for me being exposed to things I shouldn't have been exposed to (well if there was, I didn't understand it at the time).

Just make sure he doesn't play it too much (if he's level 90 within a month it's probably too much).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercarcher View Post
    Back in vanilla I was playing at age 15. I was a main tank for my guild (cleared naxx) and one of our off tanks was 13. He just never spoke on vent, and most people didn't know his age.

Just because someone is young doesn't mean they aren't capable of playing at an extremely high level.
    Ajup, same around here.

Just go ahead and make sure he knows his bonds and he never finds out how to change the parental settings

Quote Originally Posted by Brewski View Post
    And whys that? Most trolls/retards for online games are 12.
    Honestly, I think they're around 18-21.
    Last edited by mmocc2f63cde0d; 2012-11-18 at 03:43 AM.