Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yyil View Post
    Blizz knows what they are doing.
    If they did they wouldn't need these CYA moments, like with the node issue.

If they did the RealID fiasco would've been seen long before the idea was hashed out in public.

If they did Arenas would not exist, as they would've seen the flaws trying to balance both PvE and PvP.

So, no, Blizz is NOT all knowing.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    You're making some mighty big assumptions. No one wants wow to be boring. Is that really what you think ? If someone doesn't like fighting with 10 other people for quest mobs they want it borning ?

I feel sorry for all the people that "need to see someone" in their zone. If I want to just throw out random insults, I guess I would say. All the people who love CRZ are lonely losers who's only friends are the random strangers they pass in a zone. If you're playing a video game and feel alone, and that bothers you, then maybe you need to go outside and try meeting real people. But such insults really don't serve much of a purpose now do they ?

I've lived in both small farm towns and 17 years in the Washington DC area. I can completely understand why some people, prefer and enjoy small towns. I can also understand why some people love the hustle and bustle of a large city. If you can't understand both sides of that, then you're not nearly as clever and enlightened as you think yourself.

People like Small servers, because they like to be able to go out and do things and not sit in traffic for an extra 45 mins. For Pvpers they like having lots of new people to gank or fight against and they're willing to sit an hour in traffic to get that. Sadly, Blizzard has made this all or nothing. So they are cartering to all the people crying and whining about being lonely while questing and it's their best fix to offer lopsided servers some PvP action. Those that wanted the quite simple life got a big F.U.

So it's easy to see why some don't like it, if you're willing to take a open honest look. Or you can just choose to look at things from what you like only perspective and remain confused as to why.
    This NEW technology makes most zones of Azeroth lively and full of life. It is like a brand new MMO with its populated world.

Only this time ... You are in a living breathing world in a game with ... 8 year old zones : )

Only few will complain. If they don't like it they can play off hours or go search some calm zones and avoid world pvp by going to a pve server.

All the rest though ... can as of now be assured... AZEROTH will always be a populated, living breathing and ACTIVE world ...independant of its subscribers number as 200k players means ...20 times MORE players around than the biggest WoW server could ever hold in the past.

Simply awesome for creating an ever lasting Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Doesn't it resolve the 'world is dead' problem ?
    What problem? I didn't have a problem with it. It was just fine. They solved a problem that wasn't a problem. Instead see the list from the first replier - you either get ganked or are surrounded with basically the same people you meet in LFR - and those people are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by markdall View Post
    What problem? I didn't have a problem with it. It was just fine. They solved a problem that wasn't a problem. Instead see the list from the first replier - you either get ganked or are surrounded with basically the same people you meet in LFR - and those people are terrible.
    The problem of all single server MMO's in the past was simple.

1.000.000 play it at launch : ...great.

After 4 months 75% left: not so great.

Your server of 2000 became mostly a ghost town with ... 500 people on it ... And spread over x factions and ... 30 zones.

Dead.

Cross server open world play without loading screens will never see this happening.

of course Blizzard will advance in this technology even further.

With this technology you play with millions instead of 500 on your server...

simple solution to a problem that existed for a decade in fantasy mmorpg's.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    This NEW technology makes most zones of Azeroth lively and full of life. It is like a brand new MMO with its populated world.

Only this time ... You are in a living breathing world in a game with ... 8 year old zones : )

Only few will complain. If they don't like it they can play off hours or go search some calm zones and avoid world pvp by going to a pve server.

Simply awesome for creating an ever lasting Azeroth.
    That is an interesting and beautiful world you live in and i'm glad you're enjoying it.

There is very little "off hours" with CRZ. I'm on a PvE server. If I got out at 7am in a old world zone. It's populated and I'm competing. If I go out at 5pm, it's populated and I'm competing. Now if I'm looking at the more casual players, they have limited play time. The last thing they care about is seeing 20 people in their zone. We have some fairly casual players in the guild. No one likes it. We have some fairly hard core people in the guild, they don't like it. We have 1 guy who loves to level to the point he's deleted max level toons and leveled them again. He doesn't like CRZ. Because waiting for mobs is not equal to a living breathing world.

Again, I can't see how sitting in traffic has ever made a city awesome. If it really did, other cities would close lanes so people could be sitting out on the roads because that makes the city\town feel "alive and breathing". It only serves those that needs crowds to feel alive.

After 4 months 75% left: not so great.

Your server of 2000 became mostly a ghost town with ... 500 people on it ... And spread over x factions and ... 30 zones.

Dead.

Something free server transfers could fix just as easy.

We see how awesome of a job LFR and LFD for building communities and not promote trolling and griefing. CRZ offers those who want to troll and grief even more ways to annoy people.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2012-11-18 at 10:17 PM.

That is an interesting and beautiful world you live in and i'm glad you're enjoying it.

There is very little "off hours" with CRZ. I'm on a PvE server. If I got out at 7am in a old world zone. It's populated and I'm competing. If I go out at 5pm, it's populated and I'm competing. Now if I'm looking at the more casual players, they have limited play time. The last thing they care about is seeing 20 people in their zone. We have some fairly casual players in the guild. No one likes it. We have some fairly hard core people in the guild, they don't like it. We have 1 guy who loves to level to the point he's deleted max level toons and leveled them again. He doesn't like CRZ. Because waiting for mobs is not equal to a living breathing world.

Again, I can't see how sitting in traffic has ever made a city awesome. If it really did, other cities would close lanes so people could be sitting out on the roads because that makes the city\town feel "alive and breathing". It only serves those that needs crowds to feel alive.
    It is fascinating we are holding a discussion about Azeroth being too populated after ... 8 years of playing it ...

More fascinating even now that we know it has more than a 100 world zones, 70 bracketed BG's, hundred dungeons and dozens of Raids (some still being done for transmog gear).

Fascinating. Perhaps now people will understand the concept of ... Millions of players in your region ... Alone.

Blizzard's next MMO using these techniques from the start will simply be mind blowing: true to the word. MASSIVE of MMORPG 's...

Those that don't like it: no way I am going back to play empty worlds...

It is fascinating we are holding a discussion about Azeroth being too populated after ... 8 years of playing it ...

More fascinating even now that we know it has more than a 100 world zones, 70 bracketed BG's, hundred dungeons and dozens of Raids (some still being done for transmog gear).

Fascinating. Perhaps now people will understand the concept of ... Millions of players in your region ... Alone.

Those that don't like it: no way I am going back to play empty worlds...
    Well, from a longevity stand point I agree that WoW has done well for itself and from a fan's perspective it's great to talk about high populations.

Obviously it's all about perspective. Your glass is half full. I view it from the half empty side. Afterall, what you consider a full thriving world, I may view has being an overcrowded one. One of the local High Schools is suffering from having 800 more students than it was designed to hold. While it's great in some regardless of having a lots of diveresed people and activities there are of course, problems in that education gets hampered when the class of 30 becomes the class of 45. Sure Some people grew up where it was a class of 15-20 and so being forced into a class of 30-40 is very forgien\undesirable to them (or their parents)

I think what some don't like is the complete lack of choice. "It's there so deal with it" isn't really a very friendly way to address those concerns. Why can't their be an opt out option ? Why did it have to be all or nothing ?

In the end, this may be a new good thing for wow, or it could be just another thing that wears people down. Time will tell.

Well, from a longevity stand point I agree that WoW has done well for itself and from a fan's perspective it's great to talk about high populations.

Obviously it's all about perspective. Your glass is half full. I view it from the half empty side. Afterall, what you consider a full thriving world, I may view has being an overcrowded one. One of the local High Schools is suffering from having 800 more students than it was designed to hold. While it's great in some regardless of having a lots of diveresed people and activities there are of course, problems in that education gets hampered when the class of 30 becomes the class of 45. Sure Some people grew up where it was a class of 15-20 and so being forced into a class of 30-40 is very forgien\undesirable to them (or their parents)

I think what some don't like is the complete lack of choice. "It's there so deal with it" isn't really a very friendly way to address those concerns. Why can't their be an opt out option ? Why did it have to be all or nothing ?

In the end, this may be a new good thing for wow, or it could be just another thing that wears people down. Time will tell.
    This is a video game you play on line. On line video games need players ALL of the time. It is not a class to educate or a city to live in.

It is a question of population and NUMBERS... Populating 100 world zones, populating 100 dungeons, populating 70 bracketed BG's.

So an on line video game NEEDS this massive number of players to man it all.

Single server play can no longer support 100 world zones and all that other massive offer of play without ... Being massive.

And open world play across servers addresses this massive number.

That's why this latest addition is the most innovative feature for Azeroth: it will be populated for a very very long time, as CRZ is just the beginning (trading, guilds, phasing, world elites coming back in cross server play etc...).

That's why I am so excited about this new Blizzard server structure: expect their new MMO to build upon it even further.

I never had a problem with the world seeming too sparsely populated, so CRZ doesn't solve any problems for me.

If it does help, others, fine. I'm not going to complain about an mmo having a decent number of people.

I feel that Blizzard didn't really take into account spawn rates and competition or economies before implementing CRZ.
    A persistent complaint I have is that they almost always put one quest in among a group where you're trying to find x number of drops with a really low drop rate, or kill sparsely populated mobs, etc. I don't understand designing a quest that will frustrate players, not because of any actual challenge, but just because it was designed to be frustrating. CRZ certainly makes those cases worse.

The biggest problem is that it was so poorly implemented initially in so many ways.
    It seems like Blizzard never even considered (or simply didn't care about) half the issues it would cause.
    A feature that should have been largely explored on the PTR was just put live in an alpha state.

Onto specific issues:

1) Crossing Zone Boundaries and Lag
    I used to actually enjoy seeing the subtle change in land and sky as you crossed a zone boundary.
    It's nice flying over Pandaria with no CRZ. Beautiful diverse landscapes.
    Contrast that to flying over Northrend where you can easily cross 4 or 5 boundaries within 30 seconds depending on your flight path.
    Getting lag across every CRZ boundary is extremely disconcerting.
    And I never even thought about the potential seizure issue for people with epilepsy, but with starkly contrasting sky colours and serious lag, I can see it being a serious problem.
    For me, it's just ridiculously annoying.
    No matter the case, this should not have went live until a solution was found.
    Or do we just have to put up with this on an ongoing basis? Ugh.

2) Time Zone Issues
    -Even with a three-hour window, you can see some gross differences in sky colour as you pass from zone to zone. Wouldn't be such an issue if the transition was more seemless, but as it is BANG LAG >> ok now you can continue flying.
    - The larger issue I can see would be if I logged onto my server at 9:01 server time the last day of a holiday to fly around and finish up something like visiting fires for the fire festival. If I get unlucky with CRZ RNG and fly into a zone where it's 12:01, I'm SOL.

2) Ruining the Fishing Tournaments (because of Time Zone Issues)
    Yes, apparently Blizzard is working on something for this, but they implemented CRZ before even considering that how it would screw them up.

3) Wintergrasp
    - In the last couple weeks, whenever I crossed the border of WG, which is pretty easy to do when flying over Northrend, I've been immediately dismounted and dropped with no parachute, regardless of whether a battle was going on or not.
    - Another bug I noticed last week was porting from the Dalaran Portal to Alliance-controlled WG, I couldn't mount and was hearing grunts. About 30 seconds of lag later, the horde guards in the Keep came into view beating on me.

4) Multi-passenger mounts dismounting their passengers
    which went from bug to intended feature, even though it was never intended before CRZ?

These are just a few I've personally experienced or can see bothering me.
    I'm sure others have more.

Why I should be happy about a feature that I've seen no benefits from, but all these problems.

CRZ could potentially be an awesome thing. Potentially. Properly tested and implemented.

But as it is, I hate it.

This is a video game you play on line. On line video games need players ALL of the time. It is not a class to educate or a city to live in.

It is a question of population and NUMBERS... Populating 100 world zones, populating 100 dungeons, populating 70 bracketed BG's.

So an on line video game NEEDS this massive number of players to man it all.

Single server play can no longer support 100 world zones and all that other massive offer of play without ... Being massive.

And open world play across servers addresses this massive number.

That's why this latest addition is the most innovative feature for Azeroth: it will be populated for a very very long time, as CRZ is just the beginning (trading, guilds, phasing, world elites coming back in cross server play etc...).

That's why I am so excited about this new Blizzard server structure: expect their new MMO to build upon it even further.
    ok im gona ask you 1 question?

frostmane eu ( the relm im on) is a pvp server and its classed as FULL so how would CRZ benefit me and my realm?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    The trick is that you can't do anything with the other players that CRZ shoehorns into the same zone as you, there are almost no group-quests anymore (Just the Nagrand/Zul'Drak/Twilight highlands "Arena"-lines, IIRC), everything outside instanced content almost explicitly discourages grouping, and instanced content already was cross-server, people from other servers won't talk to you, just like the ones from your own server really.

So what does CRZ add? Ganking victims (Meaningless on PvE servers), competition for everything out there from mobs to profession mats, and you can see other people running around, big whoop.

Ooh, almost forgot: CRZ added a bunch of "How did this get through beta?"-magnitude bugs as well, nope, still not impressive...
    Pretty much nailed it. Nobody complained that the world was to empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Pretty much nailed it. Nobody complained that the world was to empty.
    true they complained that REALMS were empty

15+ Year Old Account
    I haven't found a single treasure chest or a rare mob since CRZ was implemented, besides a few in low level zones and the rares in pandaland where there is no CRZ. Ganking is also a major issue due to level differences, and the dark portal camping is just plain stupid.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

It appears that it my post with my main CRZ issues is in moderation, but this post just made it through.
    (A fair bit of reading here, not much posting).
    My main issues will have to wait until the other post gets through.

One thing that bothers me, though, is that CRZ just kinda feels wierd.
    It's supposed to make the world feel more populated.
    But it's like these extra people in the zone are just transients passing through. Not really there like people on your server.

You shift-click on a name to see if someone's just low-level trolling in chat or is on a main, but get no information.
    (And that's something I've definitely noticed more of - non-trade talk in trade in cities and just more crap posted in general in places like Elwynn.)

If you happen to randomly meet someone you get along with, your interactions are extremely limited. You can't exactly invite them to your guild or anything.
    If you want to group with them in the future, you either have to give them your e-mail address or Battle.net tag.

It just feels so incomplete.
    In addition to my other issues with it, it really feels like it was implemented way before it was ready.
    Last edited by Durandil; 2012-11-18 at 11:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We see how awesome of a job LFR and LFD for building communities and not promote trolling and griefing. CRZ offers those who want to troll and grief even more ways to annoy people.[/FONT]
    The reason LFD/LFR is beneficial is because it's instanced and optional. Sometimes it's the only way players on a realm can dungeon/raid. It's perfect for those seeking other options, as they have an on realm alternative.

CRZ offers no shutoff. What used to be a playground with people/guilds you knew on sight, now becomes a NYC subway with unknowns and worse trolling the landscape. My sis isn't one to complain, but even she got on a toon and told the rift raft to go back to their own realm. It can be t-h-a-t bad.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I'm starting to think Cross Realm zones are just an urban legend and don't actually exist.

I've never seen one so I'll stick to my truth.

People don't like other people in there MMOs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    I'm on a low population server, and I love CRZ. I don't understand the hate at all. It makes it take a little longer to get max level mining, but big deal. It wasn't ever easy before Cataclysm anyway. I think people are just being babies that the WoW world is being shared, as it's supposed to be, and some people on PvP realms are realizing they aren't cut out for it, but are blaming CRZ instead of themselves.
    Agreed. I dont notice more ganking than in vanilla. Am i going too far when i say that the new players might not have experienced this since it was back in vanilla and now dont like it at all :P? There are good and bad effects on every game design choice you make, there is no ultimate choice that makes the game perfect or happy land for everyone. I just think this one brings more + than -

My opposition to CRZ comes down to the following:

1. every time I cross into or out of one I visibly freeze for 15-30 seconds,
    2. if I have a passenger, they get dismounted, and quite often fall to their death,
    3. if someone is on auto follow they get left at the zone line,
    4. how many times do I need to be told 'you are rested'
    5. lack of a uniform time zone, why is it that Dalaran, Icecrown and Storm Peaks have to have 3 different time zones?
    6. GC once said they could turn on and off CRZ on any zone they wanted anytime they wanted, BUT, they flatly refuse to do such a thing to ensure the fishing tournaments aren't exploited, instead they just merrily kill fishing tournaments instead,
    7. one of the reasons they claim to want CRZ is to be able to control the density of people in a zone, where in fact, they've turned many of the event achievements into giant clusterfucks.

and those are just some of my reasons for disliking CRZ, note, I didn't say a bloody thing about PVP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    true they complained that REALMS were empty
    I saw less people complaining about empty realms (if any) than people complaining about CRZ now.

Guess that wasn't the wisest decision.