Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    For lack of originality, Blizz is using themes based on real life concepts that exist because frankly, you can only make up so much in a fantasy world before stuff starts repeating itself. Not tired of the Asian theme but rather lack of innovation or that something new that makes WoW addicting as when it first was released as Vanilla. The only new stuff I see from expansion to expansion are lore related, tied into the quests, dungeons, and raids. Same car but a new coat of paint.

Deleted
    @ OP: you say you feel disconnect by the game, because it is inspired BY THE REAL WORLD. Go figure.

OT: I love it. Just like going to Outland and Northrend, this really feels like a different (part of the) world. I tip my hat to Blizzard.
    Music is great. Instance design (graphics) is great. Really fits the theme and just generally speaking makes you feel as if you ARE taking part in this Asian-inspired culture. Best so far.

---------- Post added 2012-11-05 at 08:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    For lack of originality, Blizz is using themes based on real life concepts that exist because frankly, you can only make up so much in a fantasy world before stuff starts repeating itself. Not tired of the Asian theme but rather lack of innovation or that something new that makes WoW addicting as when it first was released as Vanilla. The only new stuff I see from expansion to expansion are lore related, tied into the quests, dungeons, and raids. Same car but a new coat of paint.
    Once you incorporated pretty much all themes, what do you expect? EVERY game has a theme, non of them are original and ALL of them are copied from real life or real life-fiction (as in books, movies, comics)

It is ALL mankind that made up the themes in real life too you know. Not like it was just there and earthlings started living there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxiijay View Post
    @ OP: you say you feel disconnect by the game, because it is inspired BY THE REAL WORLD. Go figure.
    I don't read a fantasy novel because I want to learn about a history I'm already acquainted with.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    I don't read a fantasy novel because I want to learn about a history I'm already acquainted with.
    Because ALL Warcraft lore represents real life history, right??

No.

We are talking design and architecture here, not "content" and lore.

Your argument is flawed.

Well, I have to admit I'm a bit tired of it. Not because I think it doesn't fit or something, I just don't like the timing. There's been a huge hypen on Asian culture recently, and it has just started to calm down and quite frankly, I was rather appy about that. Asian culture is cool and all, and I think it's going to continue influencing western culture in the future, but I would have liked a little break of everything having to be related to Asia. I even go as far as claming it would have been much more interesting and respective of the culture to introduce the expansion in puer interest and not as a part of some huge hype and because "Asia is cool now and we have to abuse that".

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarles Malarkey View Post
    Then you should welcome the Asian theme since most American history courses, even those supposedly covering the world, are centered around Europe with little more than footnotes and colonialism for the rest of the world.

Deleted
    Not really, no.

I accept that Pandaria is a continent with a rich and very much different flavor than the rest of Azeroth, considering it's been isolated for so long within the story.

I tihnk it fits, in a way. Sure, it's not classical Warcraft but if the only thing we would be fed is the same Alliance vs Horde conflict on the same high-fantasy Azeroth that we have for the last decade or so, it'd get kinda boring.

I like it when they throw in something different here and there. Let's not forget that Outland was technically in space and Northrend had a very clearcut theme that differed greatly to the rest of Azeroth at the time aswell.

Deleted
    Well, I don't care about lore and I like the way it looks, so I'm fine with the theme and not tired of it

Deleted
    I was bored of the asian theme long before the game even came out.

There are certain things that belong in warcraft, this theme however, is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevyne-Shandris View Post

Fantasy-Adventure is Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim. It's not undead reanimating the dead to do their bidding and a whole expansion based on death and decay. That is horror. Know the difference.
    But if I recall correctly, and I know for a fact it was there in Oblivion because I watch a friend summon a billion of the buggers out of scrolls for an hour, there's plenty of undead and reanimating. Hell in Skyrim wasn't the entire last DLC based off vampires? And yet you clearly say it's not horror. So your own examples debunk your own point I suppose. The dead reanimating is an element used by horror but simply having it doesn't make a piece of media horror.

WotLK is horror in the same way that Sean of the Dead is horror. Sure they both depict some gruesome imagery, both have zombies, etc etc. But while there is a dual utilization of the key features the desired effect and implemented effect are completely different than a horror movie.

Let me ask you this were you as equally perturbed by the portrayal of Norse culture and mythology in WotLK? Are you as equally defensive about Trolls sounding Jamaican? Quite honestly your offense to MoP would be like my Italian relatives pissing and moaning about how racist Good Fellas was. I mean is stargate racist to Egyptians? Where does it end I guess is the question I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimey View Post

There are certain things that belong in warcraft, this theme however, is not one of them.
    And with that detailed and riveting explanation as to why I have become totally convinced and swayed by your logic. Not that I would expect you to write an essay on the subject but surely some sort of base reasoning should be provided other than "I said it therefore it must be so".
    Last edited by shimerra; 2012-11-05 at 08:34 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Are the Barrens euro-centric? Orgrimmar? TB? Ashenvale? STV? God I can go on forever. There's very VERY few euro-centric zones in the game. Variety is the foundation of this game. And this expansion lacks it sorely. Hell even WotLK had greater variety in the main themes of each zone. I personally still find tBC to be by far the best in terms of variation and uniqueness in zones as well aesthetic feels for each one.
    Something cataclysm also did quite well I might add.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Deleted
    Some people love the whole Asian theme, so you may receive as many different answers to this as there are people in China.

Personally I loved Northrend, because I felt that they capctured parts of my culture quite well with zones like Howling Fjord and Grizzly Hills. And let's face it, the music when you get on the boat to Northrend...

Deleted
    'Basically China in WoW'?

I never knew China was battling an invasion from insectoids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post

Metaphor for Mongolian hordes?

I consider most Chinese people little more than insects. They're endless in numbers and have the same intelligence. It's exceedingly rare for me to meet a college student who is capable of critical thinking.

Not tired of the theme, just tired of all this "sha this sha that" crap.

Infracted.
    Last edited by Zaelsino; 2012-11-05 at 03:40 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    Metaphor for Mongolian hordes?
    I thought the Yaungol were a metaphor for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought the Yaungol were a metaphor for that.
    I thought the centaur were a metaphor for the mongolian hordes, to be honest.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    "your" Medieval fantasy is euro-centric. Guess what, there are other cultures out there. But then expecting geeks to actually show imagination is a lost cause
    Well it just might be that europeans/americans prefer the medieval fantasy more vs. chinese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    I'm as Asian as Kevyne, and I don't find MoP to be the least bit offensive. At least, not so far. I appear to not be as well aged, so the traumas of past injustices don't ring as loudly to my reality as they apparently do to his.
    If you don't remember the segregation/desegregation days and people with baseball bats, I doubt folks understand.

My dad had to fight with the school board to get my siblings into a white school. And he had to, because segregation ensured Blacks got substandard instruction and even facilities. My brother should've became a boxer, because how many racial fights ensued just attending school. THAT is how far I remember...and don't forget.

So, the PC crowd today probably see nothing about MoP, but I do. It's like your parents may get upset over something said/done and you have no inkling why it's a big deal, but they remember and to them it is a very big deal.

---------- Post added 2012-11-06 at 07:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    Then you should welcome the Asian theme since most American history courses, even those supposedly covering the world, are centered around Europe with little more than footnotes and colonialism for the rest of the world.
    True.

But that will likely more come when the Chinese becomes the superpower, and people will have to learn their version of history.

I don't think the Western world will feel very comfortable of learning that part of history. And the Chinese government apparently doesn't just take apologies.

So let them eat MoP, and dream of exotic lands with fluffy pandas (smell the incense too?)...for now.
    Last edited by Kevyne-Shandris; 2012-11-06 at 12:34 PM.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

I love Asian architecture and cultures, yet it seemed to dominate the game to such an extent at the expense of everything else that it contributed to my decision not to buy mop.

Uldum was too Egyptian for my taste too. Norse in northrend was ok, and central American theme in troll instances was ok too. It's all about melding cultural reference in a subtle manner and not in an in your face way.