10+ Year Old Account

New Desktop Build (First timer)

I've been doing my own research and looking around, and I've decided to use one of Marest's builds.

Gaming 1020
    MoBo: MSI Z77A-G45
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz 2x4GB
    GPU: MSI GTX 660 Ti
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
    PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W
    Heatsink: Cooler Master TPC 812
    Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer

Budget - N/A
    Resolution - 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired - World of Warcraft Ultra Settings
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)- No
    Country - U.S.A.
    Parts that can be reused - No
    Do you need an OS? I am getting Windows 8
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? I've already purchased all of these.

I have a few questions, which I could not find any answers for in the forums or on the websites for the parts. I'm also not that familiar with computers.

1. It looks like my USB ports come with the case, and I don't need to buy them separately, is that right?
    2. Can my motherboard support 2 hard drives? I was looking to buy a 128 GB SSD in addition to the 1 TB HDD
    3. Do I need to buy a fan controller or does the case come with it? (I'm not entirely sure what this is, but it was listed on Marest's guide)
    4. Do I need to buy DVD/Blu-ray drives?
    5. Finally, is there anything I missed/tips you can give me?

Thanks so much for all your help, this forum has been a wonderful resource!

Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    1. It looks like my USB ports come with the case, and I don't need to buy them separately, is that right?
    2. Can my motherboard support 2 hard drives? I was looking to buy a 128 GB SSD in addition to the 1 TB HDD
    3. Do I need to buy a fan controller or does the case come with it? (I'm not entirely sure what this is, but it was listed on Marest's guide)
    4. Do I need to buy DVD/Blu-ray drives?
    5. Finally, is there anything I missed/tips you can give me?

Thanks so much for all your help, this forum has been a wonderful resource!

1. Correct
    2. Yes
    3. Download SpeedFan
    4. No, but I would ($20 for DVD)
    5. Orient your heatsink how you want it before applying the thermal paste in case you change your mind so you don't have to clean it and reapply

Quote Originally Posted by Discobeard View Post
    1. Correct
    2. Yes
    3. Download SpeedFan
    4. No, but I would ($20 for DVD)
    5. Orient your heatsink how you want it before applying the thermal paste in case you change your mind so you don't have to clean it and reapply
    5) This. Make sure the heatsink fits correctly on the motherboard too.

1. Correct. Your case has all of the usb ports. You'll simply have to connect them to the proper headers on your motherboard which will be detailed in the MB manual.
    2. You have 2x Sata3 Ports, and 4x Sata2 Ports. You'll have plenty of ports.
    3. I don't believe your case has a fan controller. If you want one, you'll have to purchase it, but it's not a requirement. It allows you to regulate fan speed in order to obtain an optimal balance of noise level and air flow for cooling based on your preference and need.
    4. You don't need an optical drive, but given the low price of a DVDR these days, its recommended.
    5. Watch a lot of video. A good place to start is with newegg's video series. Go to Youtube and search "newegg build your own pc." Take notes and plan out your project.
    - Lean about ESD electrostatic discharge, and how to avoid it ruining your build.
    -Use the motherboard manual. I see a lot of people make simple mistakes, even seasoned builders, because they don't refer to the manual.
    -If you don't know, ask someone. Be patient.
    Last edited by Dizey; 2012-11-19 at 10:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    One final question, this setup will handle WoW at ultra in 25 man raids?

For the most part yes. You may want to turn shadows down a bit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Actarius View Post
    One final question, this setup will handle WoW at ultra in 25 man raids?
    Yes it will tho keep in mind as far as i know there is no computer that can handle all ultra 1920 x 1080 25 man raiding.
    At a solid 60 fps at least during fights it might drop to around 40-45 fps depending on the fight and how much AoE there is