Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuthe View Post
    APB, unfortunally. I personally adored the game, but it just flopped so hard.

FF14, COPY PASTA'd! Keen for 14.5 though.

SWTOR, in a way. Sure it failed on the subscription stuff, but it still has brilliant stories.

i totally forgot about ABP, game had so much potential, but it was buggy as hell when i played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post

2: Final Fantasy 14

Square Enix' second attempt at making a wow killer... a game so counterintuitive, annoying and un-fun that the head of the company publicly apologized and offered everyone free playtime until the game could be fixed. Which never happened, by the way, despite several attempts. The game was shut down permanently earlier this month.

I think gamespot covered it succinctly.
    http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantas...eview-6280901/
    I'm kind of curious, what was their first attempt?

APB could have been so good, my group of friends and I had such a blast playing that game despite most of the drawbacks to certain missions. But RTW's inability to keep up with the hackers really sunk it. GamersFirst tried, but it just didn't feel like the same game anymore. That said I still pumped over 100 hours into it, to me that's not really a failure considering it only ever cost me the retail price in that time. Was definitely a game you loved to hate, but it's one game I would actually consider to be worthy of this list even though it's not a personal "failure." It did manage to kill an entire company in the process.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-11-20 at 01:04 AM.

Deleted
    3: Daikatana

2: Final Fantasy 14

Square Enix' second attempt at making a wow killer... a game so counterintuitive, annoying and un-fun that the head of the company publicly apologized and offered everyone free playtime until the game could be fixed. Which never happened, by the way, despite several attempts. The game was shut down permanently earlier this month.

I think gamespot covered it succinctly.
    http://www.gamespot.com/final-fantas...eview-6280901/

Not quite making it to the list, but failing for similar reasons: Final Fantasy 13.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_video_game_burial
    was FF14 the one that had ridiculously complicated menus in the game to do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiouslol View Post
    I'm kind of curious, what was their first attempt?
    Final Fantasy 11 of course.

Though I guess that is not quite factious. Final Fantasy 11 was (is) an MMORPG, and quite a popular one at it, but was never labelled as a "wow killer", except by sensationalist forum posters like myself. Nor was Final Fantasy 14. But as they say, never let a fact get in the way of a good story! :P

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    was FF14 the one that had ridiculously complicated menus in the game to do anything?
    Yes. All which were server-side controlled, and suffering from a monumental input lag due to every server being placed in uzbekistan or something. Wanted to equip a sword? Click escape, wait 4 seconds for the menu to open up, and take it from there. Several sub-menus later, each with that 4 second input lag, and you got to the right spot.

As you can see, wow ain't half bad :P
    Last edited by Danner; 2012-11-20 at 01:03 AM.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

Deleted
    1 Sw tor
    2 Age of Conan
    3 dragon age 2

I'll reserve my opinion of Diablo3 till after the xpan , d2 wasn't all that till the xpan aswell ^^

Though I guess that is not quite factious. Final Fantasy 11 was an MMORPG, and quite a popular one at it, but was never labelled as a "wow killer", except by sensationalist forum posters like myself. Nor was Final Fantasy 14. But as they say, never let a fact get in the way of a good story! :P
    Except Final Fantasy 11 came out way before WoW and was very successful? Please do not bring FF11 into the conversation of "wow killers".

Deleted
    1: SW:TOR

It was not a bad game per say, just felt very unfinished and rushed. My biggest grudge with SW:TOR(And most other MMO's) was mobility and combat. It literally felt like going back 40 years into the past and actually play The Episode 4-6 movies, slow combat and stale mobility, you felt trapped inside your hero. The entire game feels like this video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYgDHXVKsTc .
    The one thing that makes WoW what it is today is that Blizzard realized that good movement=Immersion, other game houses fail to recognize this. Movement gives your players immersion with the game world, it entices them to explore and to finish the content you've created for more than just material reasons.

2: WoW: Cataclysm

While the base game is the best that has ever been created, Cata was not. False promises and bad execution made this one of the bigger flops in gaming history. From Vanilla through TBC and WOTLK you were emerged with the game world and with your hero(es), each expansion felt like an extension to your adventure and you never felt forced to do things as they were intended, it was truly an open world with amazing possibilities. When Cata hit the shelves all that was taken away! It felt like a fresh restart, an entirely new game that your hero was no longer a part of. Everything you had worked for meant nothing, you weren't anything special anymore, just one common little fish in a sea of million.
    I'am of course talking about The special little snowflake syndrome. Having your mount that took 5 months to farm, that title only 20 people on the realm has or maybe even be the one who bugged his way into old IF, that was what made the game great, the fame it brought and the inspiration it gave other players. That genuinity was removed with Cataclysm and IMO it was the beginning of the end of the greatest game in history.

3: Borderlands 2
    I don't have much to say about this title as I didn't finish the game. It was supposed to be an open world adventure game like Skyrim.
    Instead it felt like everything was predetermined and you didn't have any say to where you want to explore or quest, felt like any other SP game out there. I expected too much and I got butthurt, this was my fault and not the game in itself, still it was a huge disappointment for me.
    Last edited by mmoc098be2d235; 2012-11-20 at 01:04 AM.

For me, some of the failures of my gaming purchases are:

Age of Empires: Mythologies: Something about this iteration of Age of Empires just didn't sit well with me. AoE2 was awesome, and then this thing was made, and it made me /sadface

State of Emergency: Twas fun for the first few hours. Then it just got so retarded. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2002/02/22 <-- That sums up the way I felt. I should have been more cautious when Gamestop had more used copies than new, and it was a new game.

And that's all that I can think of. But as an overall, any Bioware/EA game, and Bethesda game has been complete shit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by obnoxiouslol View Post
    Except Final Fantasy 11 came out way before WoW and was very successful? Please do not bring FF11 into the conversation of "wow killers".
    Yeh, my bad. As I said. Sensationalist.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

A lot of people seem to be confusing: I don't like this game. with: This game is a failure.

People mentioning games that sold millions of copies and held a big sub base, or even funnier some one mentioned CoD.. The latest iterration of CoD brought in 500 million dollars in the first week after launch. THAT IS NOT A FAILURE BY ANY STANDARDS OK. Jesus christ.

OT: Big Rig racing.
    Daikatana
    WAR

Quote Originally Posted by Malkhor View Post
    A lot of people seem to be confusing: I don't like this game. with: This game is a failure.

People mentioning games that sold millions of copies and held a big sub base, or even funnier some one mentioned CoD.. The latest iterration of CoD brought in 500 million dollars in the first week after launch. THAT IS NOT A FAILURE BY ANY STANDARDS OK. Jesus christ.

OT: Big Rig racing.
    Daikatana
    WAR
    There are many other ways to define failure beyond just blind sales numbers, because those mostly reflect how well the game was hyped and advertised, not the quality of the game.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    PVP in wow, just one big joke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    There are many other ways to define failure beyond just blind sales numbers, because those mostly reflect how well the game was hyped and advertised, not the quality of the game.

indeed, if it sells a lot of copies and retains a lot of players, its not a failure, but if it sells lots, and then loses all them players very quick, that is a failure.
    but yeah, everyone is just saying which games they personally do not like :P

10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR is the mother of all failures.

Uh Diablo 3 just passed 10 Million Copies Sold and has a very active community. There is zero failure about Diablo
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Deleted

Though I guess that is not quite factious. Final Fantasy 11 was (is) an MMORPG, and quite a popular one at it, but was never labelled as a "wow killer", except by sensationalist forum posters like myself. Nor was Final Fantasy 14. But as they say, never let a fact get in the way of a good story! :P

Yes. All which were server-side controlled, and suffering from a monumental input lag due to every server being placed in uzbekistan or something. Wanted to equip a sword? Click escape, wait 4 seconds for the menu to open up, and take it from there. Several sub-menus later, each with that 4 second input lag, and you got to the right spot.

As you can see, wow ain't half bad :P

ah, i never played the game, i just remember hearing about its terrible menu system you needed to use while playing. how did they ever think that was a good idea?

Daikatana
    Asheron's Call 2
    APB
    Vanguard/FFXIV (waiting for FFXIV 2.0 to release to make final judgement)

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoever called Mass Effect 3 a failure i will punch you in the face!

for me it has to be Deus EX: Human Revolution, absolute garbage of a game, worst $60 ever spent, no joke.
    i7 4770k 4.6GHZ................................................ ¨ ø„¸¸„¨ ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
    OCZ Arc 100 x2 (240g) RAID 0.........................°º¤ø„¸? Druid ,„ø¤º°¨
    Kingston HyperX 8 gig 2400.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨ For Life! 0¤ø„¸
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 OC.......................... ¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø„¸ ¨°º¤ø

10+ Year Old Account
    My Top 3:
    - Daikatana
    - Some of the most recent Castlevania games. Ruined all my childhood memories of some great games.
    - FFXIV

Fable 2 was the greatest failure to me. Fable 1 was amazing, from the music to the graphics, storyline to characters, not to mention the choices and age progression. I can't praise Fable enough. Fable 2 was so clunky, the clothes didn't fit the character properly, I didn't feel as connected to the story, the ending was pretty anticlimactic. I played through it once and didn't even go back to play as a different alignment. Fable 3 was better, but just barely.

I know this is an old game, but I don't play much of the new stuff, I prefer older games...Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. The Baldur's Gate games are my all-time favorite video games ever. The last installment of the series was so linear and short, it feels more like DLC than an expansion. I was expecting it to be like SoA, which took me months to finish because I was busy exploring and completing side quests. I still play it, but mostly for the various mods.

My final one hurts me to admit. I was one of those people viciously defending MoP since it was announced. I thought Pandaren were a great addition, especially since they were one of the most asked-for races. There was so much that I liked that I thought it would suck me back into WoW, as I haven't been that invested since early Cata. My highest level character is level 89. I'm not calling it a failure as an expansion, I'm just saying it failed me as an avid WoWer. The quests are so generic and boring that I just can't play long to make headway. Maybe once I hit 90 and I start raiding my opinion will change. I certainly hope so.