Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How do you make time for raiding ?

Hi.

I know this is a tough topic but simply put, how do you guys make/have time for raiding ?
    Started raiding during late ulduar and hitting my peak at the end of icc (5 days / week)

From there its only gotten less and less days until i just left my weekend guild (yeah, weekends was worse then weekdays )

The problem ?

I LOVE raiding and this is a last desperate call hoping to find out its just me who sucks at time management.
    How do you guys juggle work, real life, gf, etc etc and raiding ? (Primarily being locked down certain days/hours of the week)

LFR and pugging isn't really an option for me, its to much headache for to small rewards (at least knowing i could just join a guild and kill heroic bosses)

TL;DR
    Any way to eat the cookie and still have it ? :P

/santa.

I'm home by 4pm from work, I spend time with my family, eat dinner, etc. Child is in bed by 8:30, and raid starts at 9pm. Mon-Thurs are the days that we raid. Being a parent, there aren't many things you can do outside of the house past a certain time (with a young child, not an adolescent). So raiding has happened fairly easily for me.

I surrounded myself with like-minded raiders who I've known for a long time, and have the skill level to compete. Most of us are in the same boat, young(er) parents with young kids who have bedtimes that force us to stay in.

10+ Year Old Account
    I lfr, because even when I have nothing specifically planned, rl happens a lot of the time. If I feel like it I'll sometimes join a pug.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaley View Post
    I'm home by 4pm from work, I spend time with my family, eat dinner, etc. Child is in bed by 8:30, and raid starts at 9pm. Mon-Thurs are the days that we raid. Being a parent, there aren't many things you can do outside of the house past a certain time (with a young child, not an adolescent). So raiding has happened fairly easily for me.

I surrounded myself with like-minded raiders who I've known for a long time, and have the skill level to compete. Most of us are in the same boat, young(er) parents with young kids who have bedtimes that force us to stay in.
    And what does your wife do during the time you raid? Not trying to be a dick but wouldn't those 4 days/week be better spent doing something together?

Recently I left a guild that I'd been in for awhile to join a raiding guild that had times more suitable to my work schedule, my family, and I. The most important thing is looking at your schedule and finding the times that you know your going to be available 90% of the time and then go on the look for a guild that raids those times. There are so many guilds currently looking for people who raid 1-6 days a week. I've seen times range from early morning to late evening. It may involve transfering server and a faction change, but if you want to raid you'll definitely find a guild somewhere that has times that will work with your schedule for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    I lfr, because even when I have nothing specifically planned, rl happens a lot of the time. If I feel like it I'll sometimes join a pug.

And what does your wife do during the time you raid? Not trying to be a dick but wouldn't those 4 days/week be better spent doing something together?
    I currently raid 3 nights a week. During those times my wife does things for herself, goes out, and catches up on the TV shows she DVR's specifically for those times. I work 40 hours in 3 days and have 4 days a week off work. We find plenty of time to spend together while my child is asleep and awake.

I work part time, am 21, don't go to school, and don't have a girlfriend. How would I not make time for raiding...

Most of the other people on my raid team seem to be in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post

Who says she doesn't raid with me? From a raider / general gamer standpoint, I hit the jackpot. She's not bad at video games, either. It's amazing.

Some people do stuff they find fun and let their partner do something they find fun /gasp.

I can't say how many women I ended relationships with because they would not leave the fuck alone to play wow when I wanted to. Never understood the need to spend every waking moment with the person you in a relationship with. It generally just leads to me getting sick of them.
    []http://sig.lanjelin.com/img/tanro.png[/]

If you really want to raid, all you need to do is find a time slot you can always (with very few exceptions) commit to raiding. After that, find a guild that fits your schedule. You may have to server or faction xfer.

After that, you are raiding during that time. You're unavailable for anything else.

If your schedule doesn't allow for this kind of rigidity during one block of time on select days, raiding might not be for you.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account

I am pretty much in the same situation as you are. By the time raid comes around I've spent enough time with the wife and kids and its time for some me time.

@Raidbozz Just because you are married doesn't mean you have to do something with your spouse at all times. My wife usually watches a few TV programs she likes then goes to bed. If I wasn't playing WoW I would be mindlessly staring at the TV bored out of my tree while she watched her terrible programs. If your partner is demanding you spend every moment with them and do everything that they do then you should probably take a long look at your relationship.

Get out of class before 4pm, raid starts at 4:30. As for juggling gf's, it's a bit difficult. They can either deal with the fact that I made a commitment to raid, or leave.

My last girlfriend was pretty understand about raiding, 4 days a week she knew I was busy, and the other 3 days we would hang out extensively. You don't need to be with your significant other 24/7.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I set limitations. I've done the world ranked raiding guild thing before back in TBC. Looking back, it wasn't worth the time or the strain that it put on my relationship with my wife.

Right now, I'm a MTW guild that raids 7-11pm. I don't do extra days, etc. and I am strict on that. I make sure that I spend time with my wife on the off nights.

-Only focus on one toon if you can (coming from an altaholic who has every class )
    -Limit your raiding to 2 days/week. There are plenty of guilds out there who have decent progress ~7/16H who only raid 2 times per week. The guild i'm currently in we raid 2x4 hours raids. Raid efficiently and smart.
    -Have days where you don't play at all.

I don't, I have better things to do then spend countless hours a day on raiding, while I have free time because of what I do and who I'm with, I stopped raiding several times in the past(TBC-QUIT/CATA) just because it got boring, and I don't intend to start again.

Now I just do LFR which takes ~20m per raid, then I go out and do something useful.

I'm sure you could just find one of those guilds that raid 1-2 times a week if you really wanted to.

We raid 3 days a week. 2030 to 2330 Wednesday, Sunday and Monday. This means 9 hours raiding a week. It's quite short compared to many other guilds. This works well for us. Young children are in bed by 2030. Most of the single guys get time to go down the gym and finish up a bit of work before raid. It works well for us.

I'm home by 4pm from work, I spend time with my family, eat dinner, etc. Child is in bed by 8:30, and raid starts at 9pm. Mon-Thurs are the days that we raid. Being a parent, there aren't many things you can do outside of the house past a certain time (with a young child, not an adolescent). .

This is my exact life situation, however by 8:30 - 9PM, I'm usually too tired to focus on anything, so I just do some dailies and/or play the AH and then go to bed -- ready to start it all over the next day.

Even if I were to raid there is always something that comes up, that I won't ignore, just to play a video game. Kid wakes up and wants something. Kid isn't asleep by 8:30. Wife wants something. These are all things that happen from time to time that I have to attend to. I'm also not the dick that goes afk for 20 minutes during a raid, so raiding hasn't really been for me since I've been a parent. I don't know how parents can raid -- and still be good parents, unless the things I've described doesn't happen in other people's lives.
    Last edited by ablib; 2012-11-20 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    This is my exact life situation, however by 8:30 - 9PM, I'm usually too tired to focus on anything, so I just do some dailies and/or play the AH and then go to bed -- ready to start it all over the next day.

Even if I were to raid there is always something that comes up, that I won't ignore, just to play a video game. Kid wakes up and wants something. Kid isn't asleep by 8:30. Wife wants something. These are all things that happen from time to time that I have to attend to. I'm also not the dick that goes afk for 20 minutes during a raid, so raiding hasn't really been for me since I've been a parent. I don't know how parents can raid -- and still be good parents, unless the things I've described doesn't happen in other people's lives.
    My kid isn't even 2 yet. She not at the stage of waking up and "needing" something. Once shes in bed at 8, shes asleep until 8 the next morning. My wife plays with me, so there's no "get off that damn videogame" conversation happening. Guess it's just a lucky circumstance.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...Be single, hold a job that allows you to get home sometime near or before 6pm. Hold a heavy disdain for physical sociability.

That's about how I manage it.

On those days work has just WIPED my energy, I usually make a coffee the strength of 'knock out an elephant' and that goes away.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Deleted
    I don't have time unless i sacrifice IRL commitments(Studies, social-life ect). To be honest i think many raiders are doing these sacrifices and it's really not worth it in the end. Alot of the endgame raiders in europe are people studying useless things at the university for free and got tons of sparetime.

I raided constantly from late Wrath until a few weeks ago. Some weeks I raided almost every day, and during progression our fixed raid nights were 4 per week. I had the best attendance in my guild, even more than the GM! It's like any other commitment, you block out those days like you would for sports practice or whatever else. I don't really go out much and I have a wife rather than a girlfriend so it's a bit more easy to schedule my time with her (read: spend way too much time playing and not being with her!).

The last few weeks though I took a serious look at what all that time was costing me and decided that as cool as raiding is, I have a lot of things I'd just rather be doing. Including playing other parts of WoW, games that AREN'T WoW and even god forbid, real life. The amount of content in MoP probably accelerated that realisation but I think that time eventually comes for everyone who plays this game. Pity, MoP's raids look fun (even if there are waaaay too many of them lol).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Most of the hardcore raiders from top 20 in the world guilds are either students or have a really flexible job (or even no job). If you watch popular streamers like Kungen or Kripp, you'll see that they play over 10 hrs a day, at least 6 days a week, from 8 PM to 6 AM.

I believe Kungen even once said on his stream that his guild prefers to recruit people who are in college or unemployed.