Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    There's more to net sarcasm than sticking a random smiley face at the base of a post. Everything else you wrote didn't sound sarcastic at all, but very much like an atypical tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist. :P

...if you were meant to be sarcastic... using Looooong words that are italicized also help a ton. Placing smileys RIGHT after a particular sentence also helps convey this ideology. ^_^
    Or just type "/sarcasm" after your post. From what I've noticed, people don't actually associate with sarcasm if nothing else in the post implies sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the problems with the US is that infrastructure sucks and is being held hostage by cable companies. Cable companies aren't just going to let go of their market without a fight. See Netflix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teh piemore View Post
    Good luck with that one buddy. Canadian Telecomm companies are protected from any foreign competition that might force them to stop the price gouging bullshit, increase speed/coverage, or anything else that would bode well for the consumer.
    Google is based in Canada... With the amount of cash that Google has, the process to be allowed a Telecomm Competitor will be the only thing holding them back. Plus the introduction of a new carrier would be a good thing for business. The CRTC is has actually reversed some of it's more ridiculous ruling and is relatively sane compared to the rest of the governing bodies.

Edit: In the past few years, they've allowed someone from the UAE to start their own mobile service. I doubt they will deny Google.
    Last edited by Nazrark; 2012-11-20 at 05:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    One of the problems with the US is that infrastructure sucks and is being held hostage by cable companies. Cable companies aren't just going to let go of their market without a fight. See Netflix.
    That's why Verizon invested heavily in laying it's own fiber . . . and it's paying off, too. Hopefully google will spread the joy and force the places that have invested in fiber to stop the horrible throttling.

they'll get the money back anyway adds adds everywhere
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

Canadian internet is so shit compared to the rest of the world. Want this here.

I would love for this to hit Florida. Having a 1 mb connection that routinely crashes or slows down to dial-up speeds (lowest test was under 1 byte/sec).... "sucks".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    It's really quite amazing the prices they're offering for such fast speeds.

$70/month for 1000 Mbit/s internet is rather absurd.
    Seriously what's so special about this? Yeah, it's glassfiber so it's really fast. But they could make it even faster if they wanted to, the limitations aren't the wiring anymore but the computers themselves. If I understood correctly, glassfiber is a super-conductor which is able to transmit data at near light-speed. 1000Mbit/s is nothing compared to light-speed. But yeah, like I said the limitation is the computer and their chips right now.

Anyway, a large portion of my country is already using glass-fiber. They installed it before they knew it was such a good conducter, they installed it because it was the cheaper option back then. However, sadly it's just the main wiring, the house to house wiring isn't glassfiber yet. Because of that I'm stuck on 120Mbit/s currently. So yeah, I'm a little envious of 1000Mbit/s. I bet all new houses built will get glass-fiber right away though, and I hope they upgrade the old stuff soon because I like fast internet

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teh piemore View Post
    Good luck with that one buddy. Canadian Telecomm companies are protected from any foreign competition that might force them to stop the price gouging bullshit, increase speed/coverage, or anything else that would bode well for the consumer.
    Comcast was actually denied the request to expand into canada on the grounds "they were not canadian enough".

The same fucking bullshit that requires like 40% of all tv shows and music played on the radio to be of canadian origin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Not every ISP does this. Some smaller ones really don't give two shits.

---------- Post added 2012-11-19 at 09:50 PM ----------

They can do it without being your ISP. It's called "tracking cookies".
    even without tracking cookies any browser sends search requests, cookies just take away a little bit of the anonymity.
    but they can still see your ip even without tracking cookies and send advertisements your way based off what you've searched for from that ip...
    no way around it really. cookies just make it easier and less stress on servers having to load up your data each time compared to your computer telling it what you have done recently.

anyway...yeah...happens all the time, cookies don't matter to much. just makes the process more efficient.
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Dear Google: kick out all the other ISPs in the US. Acquire all of the fiber networks that are being criminally unused around the country. Lay down new connections. Aquire tech grants, investing, anything required to make a proper country-wide fiber network a reality.

It really upsets me that the US HAS a huge high-capacity, high-speed fiber network just... sitting around. Being unused by the companies that own them. Not connected to anything. It upsets me that these companies are so reluctant or even downright unwilling to consider investing in bringing all of those unused fiber networks online. It's holding back the country's Internet capabilities, and I for one am all for plowing heedlessly into the technological future. These companies are even required -by law- to sell them if they sit unused, but they keep finding ways to hold onto them. It's only recently that they've begun selling networks on a very limited basis, such as to major education institutions.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-11-20 at 08:19 AM.

Deleted
    You guys seem to have really shity internet providers. Here in little Sweden (Where polar bears roam the streets)100 Mbit/s is almost standard and it's very affordable. Our providers are selling 250Mbit/s for mere 50buck/month and already preparing for 1000 Mbit/s.
    Google has nothing on us :>

I mean you guys are from supposed super nations, would've thought technology over there would be more accessible. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post
    You guys seem to have really shity internet providers. Here in little Sweden (Where polar bears roam the streets)100 Mbit/s is almost standard and it's very affordable. Our providers are selling 250Mbit/s for mere 50buck/month and already preparing for 1000 Mbit/s.
    Part of the problem is the size of the US. Smaller countries are able to update their infrastructure for considerably less money and at a fairly constant rate.

There's also the issue of the high speed networks that already exist but just aren't being used. It's expensive to connect them, and many companies just don't have the dollars to update major cities, even if the groundwork already exists. I admit that freely, despite my little rant up above. Google on the other hand, DOES have the money to do it, albeit slowly.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2012-11-20 at 08:21 AM.

Prices are almost always high for a new service which pushes the boundaries. Broadband used to be a business only, with only a few households forking out for it, and I suspect this might be more aimed at business for now as well although it's good to see that it's available for the fortunate public that can afford it too. Will become the industry standard soon enough, like broadband did a few years back. (WoW could be played over dial up once upon a time).

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 08:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jeavline View Post

I mean you guys are from supposed super nations, would've thought technology over there would be more accessible. ^^
    Sweden has some of the best infrastructure in Europe, including lines (: I think one of the problems is that other countries such as Britain have problems getting round to upgrading the existing hardware as a result of being lazy or being run by profiteering privatised companies who are quite happy with what they have until pressured into doing something when every other country has the shiny shiney!
    Fly fast, stay low, hit hard.
    You'd think the 8th Anniversary was the Cheese Anniversary to go with all the whine.
    - madethisfor1post

Ravenholdt EU - Nice Toons: Frazzlebeard, Menardis, Plight - Less So: Slîght

Deleted
    Well, guess that makes sense ^^ Google surely has the monetary advantage in this case.

Well I hope they come to Michigan. I'm sick of AT&T and Comcast.

my 500kb internet seems fast as it is, gb sounds nuts.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Google is based in Canada...
    lolwut? no it is not. its not based in canada at all.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 08:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    my 500kb internet seems fast as it is, gb sounds nuts.
    500kb? thats retartedly slow nowadays.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone ever get the feeling that Google will ultimately control the planet one day?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Anyone ever get the feeling that Google will ultimately control the planet one day?
    It has striking similarities to the Umbrella corporation from Resident evil , minus the zombie apocalypse.