Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is pretty cool! I asked for this and did it for my 30th bday 2 years back and was really happy about it. it's pretty cool even though it's nto as in depth as your study!
    https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/

Deleted
    What did the process involve?

Was it freaky/painful/scary/strange?

Also very much agree on your points.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would sequence my genome but then the cure for every disease would be found out and the secret to human flight would be revealed, plus the ability to travel between parallel universes. I just can't be having my immortality found out in the public eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Begrudge View Post
    I would sequence my genome but then the cure for every disease would be found out and the secret to human flight would be revealed, plus the ability to travel between parallel universes. I just can't be having my immortality found out in the public eye.
    So your genes are permanently drunk?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    So your genes are permanently drunk?
    High not drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Putting this here because it's appropriate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btqeB_h8QWA
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

High not drunk.
    Hmmm good call, it was one or the other. Had you included something like "inappropriate urination" and "groping of females" it might have been closer to my guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Hmmm good call, it was one or the other. Had you included something like "inappropriate urination" and "groping of females" it might have been closer to my guess.
    You weren't very clear in your response, I do not know what you even meant by any of what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post

Usually just a mouth swab, saliva or hair sample and sometimes they draw some blood. But really nothing special.

You weren't very clear in your response, I do not know what you even meant by any of what you said.
    Dude

what?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I strongly recommend doing a bit more homework on this Reeve.

I went on the site, went to the participant list, picked one that had a few documents available and on one report it had his full name.

Yes, the participant was identified with a random identifier, but the documents loaded to his profile had the information. I would be EXTREMELY careful about doing this.

It says you can choose to have your full profile publicly available or a generic form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Maybe off-topic, but does getting your genome sequenced mean that they'll be able to create clones of you 1000 years from now?
    Haha, I guess it probably does, assuming they have a compatible human female egg to stuff my genes into! Not sure why I'd be the template they'd want to use to clone though.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I strongly recommend doing a bit more homework on this Reeve.

I went on the site, went to the participant list, picked one that had a few documents available and on one report it had his full name.

Yes, the participant was identified with a random identifier, but the documents loaded to his profile had the information. I would be EXTREMELY careful about doing this.
    They mentioned this in the literature. There were a couple people who intentionally self-identified.

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 09:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsage View Post

There are a few different ways they collect samples. The way my father gave his sample was taking a swab and scraping the inside of his cheek with it, then mailing it in. So no, not painful at all. It may be considered scary in the sense that your innermost essence is being made public for everyone to see, and scary in the sense you might find something out about yourself you don't like, but not in the "afraid of needles" sense.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    I thought this was about Gnomes... I have no idea what a genome is, and that makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I thought this was about Gnomes... I have no idea what a genome is, and that makes me happy.
    It's like a gnome, only it grew up in Harlem, or east chicago, or south central LA.

I think I would pass on it. Seeing how you have to let it be public since they're not charging you for it.

Deleted
    i would sign up for this if it wasn't US only, really interesting to see what they find.

Most likely would do it, if it was available here in Sweden.

I'm okay with loosing a little privacy if it's for science.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Thanks for the link Reeve. I signed up as an international participant. With some luck they'll come to Sweden in a fashionable amount of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Thanks for the link Reeve. I signed up as an international participant. With some luck they'll come to Sweden in a fashionable amount of time.
    Oh cool, I thought this was only for US citizens. Thanks for the link!
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    They mentioned this in the literature. There were a couple people who intentionally self-identified.
    I'd have no problem with my genome made public, as long as my name was nowhere to be seen. I don't see how the name is useful for scientific purposes anyway. All they need to know is: File number 32736134: hispanic male, 33, 187cm tall, etc etc.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."