Poll: What did you think of the Lost Shores event?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    The undead invasion was the only one I can remember. I think there was an elemental one time event as well. All I remember from the zombie invasion were the constant complaints and whiners of people on the forums. Hmmm....that seems familiar.
    There was also the invasion of the Burning Legion, there was the whole twilight apocalypse thing pre cata, there was the opening of AQ, etc, i'm willing to bet money there was one for panda land as well!!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    There was also the invasion of the Burning Legion, there was the whole twilight apocalypse thing pre cata, there was the opening of AQ, etc, i'm willing to bet money there was one for panda land as well!!
    Ah I remember the AQ one, well the 1 fps lag fest that it was. But still I enjoyed that whole thing (the whole building up to that event). And you know, those events are what I remember most about that game.

What I want to see is a lot more of that kind of stuff for this game. That is what will have people keep being interested and come back to play. Put that stuff in, instead of higher tiers of gear.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am sure many people want to do that but ANet is not cut out for this at the moment. At the very least and barring bugs and lags they should keep in mind that the Earth is not a disc.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    it was laggy and grindy

phase one was a major lagfest and couldnt hit anything phase 3 (ancient karka) was grindy as hell as the reinforcement parts just wouldnt end..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    I am sure many people want to do that but ANet is not cut out for this at the moment. At the very least and barring bugs and lags they should keep in mind that the Earth is not a disc.
    The thing is many people say: ''ZOMG LAGGG FEST, COULDN'T MOVE, SH*T LOOT, IT WAS BUGGED, FAIL GAME! SO LOGGED OUT TO NEVAH LOG BACK IN AGAIN''

While in reality it really isn't just ANET's fault ..
    - BUGGED. Yes some things bugged out and that is ANET's fault. Noll bugged out big time and this infact effected me aswell and when people DC'd during the finale battle they got no rewards in some cases.) These problems are pretty much caused by ANET remember it's a learning moment for them aswell and they can only improve i guess .
    - LOW FPS, honestly with 100/200 people running arround with low fps are expected. My PC (wich has never been upgraded) is 5.5 years old and ran on the lowest settings with 10fps. Now i'd say i've seen MUCH worse in WoW for example. My girlfriend was sitting next to me and she played with 30fps on a 4 years old laptop. If you couldn't move or barely move, maybe you should consider buying a new PC. We live in 2012, almost 2013, stop playing games on your toaster! If your pc can't handle it it's probebly just getting really old (like mine is).
    - LAG. I played with 2 people on the same connection and didn't had ANY lag. I do live in Holland with a decent connection but i feel this is an issue at peoples homes mostly. If you have a cheap internet connection you're expected to have some lag. Deal with it or upgrade your connection. PS: If i facepalmed each time people screamed LAAAAGGG but they meant low FPS my head would've fallen off by the end of the evening.
    - ZERG. Events like these are very zerg friendly. However watching 20 people get oneshot by a roll was brilliant. Best anti-zerg mechanic ever. Arena net actually dilivered on this department.

tl;dr: Many complains can be solved at the gamers end, Arena Net can't be blamed for everything that went 'wrong'
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

15+ Year Old Account
    Given that large thread in their Lost Shores event archive most people coped with the lag and almost all issues even missing out on the scavenger hunts. They did not however cope with the aftermath of it where it dropped them from the game and let them not log in back/made them miss out on the end of the event. I was among the affected but to be honest I didn't expect compensation so I guess it's a nice gesture that they do. The next time they also should not make the mistake of drastically increasing the chance for precursors or other high-level rewards. Flooding the market with them and creating a random reward discrepancy is one of those things was a very amateurish mistake which in other games - one-time event or not - would not have been accepted.

I was referring to people living in different timezones though.

Bugs happen especially with complex software system which MMOs basically are. Their criticality and severity also differs from case to case. ANet's scripting system which they are using for DEs is probably not very robust and content designers probably have to use workarounds to do their stuff. Which means once these get fixed as well everything breaks. They also said - in an apologetic manner - that they cannot anticipate outcomes on larger scale. Which is fine as it means they don't have the virtualization techs to simulate escalated and scaled stress tests and that their system is prone to fail due too many race conditions. Which also means they can't guarantee an event to function properly unless they either change that or extend events beyond their originally intended period which they usually can't because events are released on a schedule. Especially one-time events.

The low fps is to be expected for most people during such events but that can be coped with on client side by lowering your settings - I don't have to do that running on a rather high-end rig using selected parts. Most people however were more precise than that. They were pointing out that their engine still has issues with model culling which are still pending to be addressed. Objects are not prioritized by type, they are just rendered by order of processed events. Thus a lot people died mysterious deaths to invisible enemies at first. The system needs to be improved in that enemies and related effects are rendered before anything else.

Real lag as in delayed response times after an input is not necessarily on client side either, the game is not bandwidth-heavy per se and I've got a 16 MBit connection. It's a matter of routing and processing time on server side. Depending on where the overflow spawned (EU or US side) you've got either had massive lags or only mild ones. I've had both versions.

The zerg per se is not the issue, this more about gameplay itself and the fact that their system lends to that design and most likely always will and people being rolled over is a beginning which means they definitely have it in their reach to allow more than afk-autoattack.

So yes, it is primarily on ANet's side. They need to step up on Q&A side in that no show-stoppers occur. Improving the technical issues plaguing their game outside the scope events should be addressed first before taking the gamble and release content where these issues escalate and even culminate into gamebreaking ones. And they definitely can reduce the lag issue by either spreading the events over multiple zones but even better by allowing some of them to repeat. Yes, it may break immersion for some but in terms of gameplay it has to take a backseat when it impacts playability/quality of gameplay. They also obviously have shown they can improve on anti-zerg abilities. It would also help if they tuned HPs and length of encounters a bit.

If they can address all that then I am not opposed to one-time as much if at all any more. I like the game but as I said before right now it feels they are biting off more than they can chew! Which definitely is never a good sign in MMOs.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-11-21 at 11:12 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

I completely disagree with that.

Perhaps they should string it out more, like over a week perhaps. But having one time events makes your game more alive, sets it apart from the other games. If you don't do stuff like this, you end up with a world of warcraft clone.
    It only makes the game feel alive when it has direct impacts on other parts of the game. Lost shores does not. Karka envaded 2 beaches and then after they died everyone acts like nothing happened. The only thing that changed was the lighthouse and all the npcs still act like nothing happened to it.

We get a new empty zone that the rest of the world act like it doesn't exist.

The world is not alive.

Deleted
    The undead invasion was the only one I can remember. I think there was an elemental one time event as well. All I remember from the zombie invasion were the constant complaints and whiners of people on the forums. Hmmm....that seems familiar.
    The major difference is that for this event people "whine" because of bugs, while during the undead invasion in WoW they whined because they just didn't want the zombies to disturb their playgame in the single-player RPG they were playing.

So the criticism for GW2 is founded for this event, it was filled with bugs and making it last only 2 hours each day for the big parts is a huge no-no for very few people can be online at those specific times.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 03:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    If they want to do one-time events that lasts one hour they should consider making regional (US/EU and so on) servers, so they can put them at a convenient time.

Remember to fill out the survey they sent btw.
    What survey? Did they send it in-game?

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    It only makes the game feel alive when it has direct impacts on other parts of the game. Lost shores does not. Karka envaded 2 beaches and then after they died everyone acts like nothing happened. The only thing that changed was the lighthouse and all the npcs still act like nothing happened to it.

We get a new empty zone that the rest of the world act like it doesn't exist.

The world is not alive.
    They said after the event ends they will expand on the zone

I couldn't enjoy it cause of lag...

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    I haven't played in quite a while, but one time, non repeating events (or even events on a very brief schedule like this) simply aren't a good idea for an MMO.
    I don't mind them as long as there are not one-time-only items involved. In this case a 20-slot bag, which I could make myself or buy off the AH, and a trinket, which is available from a vendor on the island. Missing getting the extra rares and exotics is basically just missing out on a gold or two. Not like if it had been pets, or a costume item, or something else that you could only get that one time and never again, which is the stuff I can't stand. As for missing the event itself, there's always YouTube. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    They said after the event ends they will expand on the zone
    It's wensday. 2 days "after" the event. They should of added events when they took down scaling on monday. We were promised a new zone. Not a half finished zone. I bet anything we won't see anything new added to suncove island till after the christmas event and they will most likely just say that the new dynamic events for the island is the "intended" january monthly update.

Nice, ANet sent me survey so I can complain right to them about how shitty their event was. But will they listen? Who cares, I get another avenue to bitch about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, it was pretty bad.

If this keeps up, GW2 will go F2P in a month, just like SWTOR.
    ROFLMAO.....Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, it was pretty bad.

If this keeps up, GW2 will go F2P in a month, just like SWTOR.
    Dude, you are doing it wrong.

It went F2P at release it was so bad

Dude, you are doing it wrong.

It went F2P at release it was so bad

Does anyone else find it funny that people make comments about games, that based on their comments, they have never played before?
    It is almost like players and possibly employees of certain game companies make statements on these boards just to trash a competitor. Blues must be real borred.

I saw the survey thing on Reddit but got no email. Perhaps emails were only sent to those that completed certain steps in the event.

I didn't really enjoy the event so didn't play much that weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalgomar View Post
    Does anyone else find it funny that people make comments about games, that based on their comments, they have never played before?
    It's pretty certain Bovinity has plays(ed) GW2. He was likely being cheeky to some degree if you observe his post history.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-11-21 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I saw the survey thing on Reddit but got no email. Perhaps emails were only sent to those that completed certain steps in the event.

I didn't really enjoy the event so didn't play much that weekend.

It's pretty certain Bovinity has plays(ed) GW2. He was likely being cheeky to some degree if you observe his post history.

I've not logged in since the first month the game released and I got the E-mail survey. /shrug.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Got not one but two emails asking me to do it.
    Got it too after all, just hadn't checked the mail yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalgomar View Post
    It is almost like players and possibly employees of certain game companies make statements on these boards just to trash a competitor. Blues must be real borred.
    I find it funny that people make comments like this, its almost like people impulsively post to look clever :P

I got an email after not logging in since the 3rd or 4th week.