Moonkin Dot and CD Questions

When you are doting and you hit an eclipse you cast the eclipsed dot. I cast the other 1 as well. Then right as NG falls off and my Eclipse is done I cast both again. So they both get NG and then the Eclipsed dot get that buff from mastery. Then I hit the other eclipse, cast both again and then right before I leave the Eclipse and NG falls off I cast them both again. The rinse and repeat.

Does anyone else do it differently and if so what do you do.

Does anyone not run NV and Incarnation for CDs?

Also if you crit with a spell and that dot gets more time added to it, and then you refresh that dot instantly or clip it by to much do you lost that bonus time from a wrath, starfire, or startsurge crit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lezul View Post
    When you are doting and you hit an eclipse you cast the eclipsed dot. I cast the other 1 as well. Then right as NG falls off and my Eclipse is done I cast both again. So they both get NG and then the Eclipsed dot get that buff from mastery. Then I hit the other eclipse, cast both again and then right before I leave the Eclipse and NG falls off I cast them both again. The rinse and repeat.

Also if you crit with a spell and that dot gets more time added to it, and then you refresh that dot instantly or clip it by to much do you lost that bonus time from a wrath, starfire, or startsurge crit.
    i run hotw for progression fights where 45s of extra healer is handy... until i start healing i dont really notice a sustained dps loss. as far as dots go just refresh the eclipsed dot when entering eclipse and the uneclipsed dot when it falls off unless its give or take 4 seconds before you're going to hit its respective eclipse. then just push through

Quote Originally Posted by crunk View Post
    i run hotw for progression fights where 45s of extra healer is handy... until i start healing i dont really notice a sustained dps loss. as far as dots go just refresh the eclipsed dot when entering eclipse and the uneclipsed dot when it falls off unless its give or take 4 seconds before you're going to hit its respective eclipse. then just push through
    Probably not the right place to ask but with regard to HotW, is "mooncatting" still viable?

If you are using 2 globals to refresh dots before leaving Eclipse and immediately refresh them once you hit the next, then you are wasting half or more of the DoT timer for what could almost be 2x Starfires per cycle. It would also negate any haste breakpoints you might have at the expense of crit or intel.

You should only be clipping your eclipsed DoT before leaving an eclipse and this is only neccesary if you're only clipping 1 tick, I.E the DoT should only have approx. 4 seconds left on it. Otherwise the GCD isn't worth the clip. Unless the DoT is about to fall off (or you have trinkets proc'd) you don't need to immediately refresh your DoTs when entering an eclipse. You are going to inevitably get a set of eclipsed DoTs off at sometime during your eclipse, it doesn't always have to be at the beginning.

Long story short, be very careful when choosing whether or not to clip your DoTs regardless of where you are in your eclipse.

---------- Post added 2012-11-21 at 09:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Probably not the right place to ask but with regard to HotW, is "mooncatting" still viable?
    I dont think "mooncatting" was ever really viable, it definitely wasn't worth it if you didn't have a legitmate agility weapon to weapon switch to. The pure dps of mooncatting is great, but we are resource hindered by energy. You could make mooncatting work and not to lose much dps if you really enjoyed doing it. However you would need a weapon switch macro for when you're in cat form, dump your energy, switch back to moonkin form (as well as another weapon switch) put up your DoTs and then rinse and repeat. It's just too much work for something that isn't even a dps gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyepic View Post
    I dont think "mooncatting" was ever really viable, it definitely wasn't worth it if you didn't have a legitmate agility weapon to weapon switch to. The pure dps of mooncatting is great, but we are resource hindered by energy. You could make mooncatting work and not to lose much dps if you really enjoyed doing it. However you would need a weapon switch macro for when you're in cat form, dump your energy, switch back to moonkin form (as well as another weapon switch) put up your DoTs and then rinse and repeat. It's just too much work for something that isn't even a dps gain.
    I've got normal mode Qiang's polearm, was just curious about dps from it, if it was a decent gain i would have considered trying it.

A (possibly) minor point to make is you can get a stack of lunar shower by casting your uneclipsed dot FIRST, then apply your eclipsed dot for a minor damage gain by having that stack. You may have to move while casting a bit, but that should be no issue. I know it ain't much, but if we're here asking these questions, then I assume we are squeezing every last drop out of our DPS.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post
    A (possibly) minor point to make is you can get a stack of lunar shower by casting your uneclipsed dot FIRST, then apply your eclipsed dot for a minor damage gain by having that stack. You may have to move while casting a bit, but that should be no issue. I know it ain't much, but if we're here asking these questions, then I assume we are squeezing every last drop out of our DPS.
    Moving component of Lunar Shower does not exists since 4.2

Deleted
    Can a good boomkin give their toughts on dot refreshing?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lymf View Post
    Can a good boomkin give their toughts on dot refreshing?
    Can you be more specific in what you're looking for?
    Sunfyre | @FoGSunfyre

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfyre View Post
    Can you be more specific in what you're looking for?
    just when to dot and when to not dot

Deleted
    The answers to these questions are all very situational. You can end up in thousand different situations when there are multiple targets, target switching, movement or dps stops involded. It all depends on your eclipse state, NG and what ever more you got going whats best to cast. Now we can hardly answer all these questions so the best you can do is firstly knowning how much damage your dots are ~worth in either eclipse with or without NG. Estimate the uptime of those dots if you would cast them. And consider wheter or not you should nuke ur self into eclipse if you are a cast or two away. Those are alot of decisions you have to make in a split second!

Dont beat your self up if you didn't play optimal for a try or a kill. Just go back the next week and give it your best shot again.