Thread: Coming to SWTOR

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Coming to SWTOR

Hello,
    I am an ex wow player, and I was very interested in swtor before it first came out, but then due to rl issues I was unable to sub, so I have yet to experience the game. When I heard it was free I immediately started the download. What should I do? What class would you recommend (Sith for sure, and I like all the roles equally so whichever class you believe is the best and why) I am aware of the limitations put on FTP players, but I am not sure I fully understand some of them. I am also unsure how the profession system works, and if someone could kind of spell that out for me and how I would be limited, as well as tell me what they recommend I do, that would be wonderful. Aside from that, I would love some general tips and what not for going into this game for the first time. Thanks

Subscribe for 1 month.

It will get you 5 dollars of cartel coins and give you "preferred status".

Focus on getting 1 character to 50. Once it is 50 you will be able to generate a lot of currency which can be used to buy unlocks of the auction house.

After a month you can either stay subscribed or switch to f2p (Preferred). If you choose to do the later, be sure to buy lots of unlocks before you switch.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-%28Revised%29

Here is a guide I made to help with being f2p. Be sure to have 350k or less credits if you switch or else it will get locked away till you resubscribe.

Edit: Also, being a subscriber for the first month will help you dabble in different classes. Figure out what you like.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-11-21 at 04:46 PM.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockmonky View Post
    Hello,
    I am an ex wow player, and I was very interested in swtor before it first came out, but then due to rl issues I was unable to sub, so I have yet to experience the game. When I heard it was free I immediately started the download. What should I do? What class would you recommend (Sith for sure, and I like all the roles equally so whichever class you believe is the best and why) I am aware of the limitations put on FTP players, but I am not sure I fully understand some of them. I am also unsure how the profession system works, and if someone could kind of spell that out for me and how I would be limited, as well as tell me what they recommend I do, that would be wonderful. Aside from that, I would love some general tips and what not for going into this game for the first time. Thanks
    Best advice I can give on what to play is to try them all. I've known many people who played SWTOR that liked range in other games but melee in SWTOR and vise versa.

Not sure what you mean about Professions. Do you mean class and advanced class? The way that works is at character select you choose a base class, for instance Sith Warrior. Once you reach level 10 you choose a advanced class that branches off from the root, there are 2 to choose from. In this instance you would have a choice of a Juggernaut or Marauder. Each advanced class has its own set of talent tree's. Those talent trees will define the role that you play i.e. tank/healer/dps. When you choose your advanced class you will get a little info on what the trees are like before you choose.

As far as the F2P goes, I dont play SWTOR anymore so Im not sure how the new model effects the above other than I know your character slots are limited to 2.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    As far as the F2P goes, I dont play SWTOR anymore so Im not sure how the new model effects the above other than I know your character slots are limited to 2.
    That will be changing soon.

Okay thanks for the thread I will consider it, I might just have to buy $5 in coins though, idk though how into the game I will be.

Deleted
    Well the only thing I can say do NOT lvl a mercenary. Its the worst PvP class. There is not a single reason to take a merc over any other class for PvP or ranked PvP. Its pretty sad as I love the class itself with dual guns but all other classes have so much better utility its sad :<

When SWTOR was new I only quit because my server died when ppl re-rolled on new servers so there were like max 5 50s online at prime time. Came back as a sub for 2 weeks now but I uninstalled today because mercs are just free kills pretty much. I played as a healer and now you cant do anything as a single healer.

Huttball is fun IMO but doing it as PuG when my friends doesnt play anymore is annoying and sad. Before we won 99.99% of the games or something now I lose 90% of the games. Seems like all the decent PvPers rerolled Republic. I know atleast the ppl that went from my server all rerolled as republic back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Well the only thing I can say do NOT lvl a mercenary. Its the worst PvP class. There is not a single reason to take a merc over any other class for PvP or ranked PvP. Its pretty sad as I love the class itself with dual guns but all other classes have so much better utility its sad :<
    Good to know, I planed on trying pvp a little and would like to not be considered a free kill...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Totikki View Post
    Things must have changed because I loved my Merc in PvP, especially Huttball.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Things must have changed because I loved my Merc in PvP, especially Huttball.
    Actually they buffed mercs a lot. They now have a viable pyro tree, an interrupt, and they streamlined their arsenal tree a lot.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    Actually they buffed mercs a lot. They now have a viable pyro tree, an interrupt, and they streamlined their arsenal tree a lot.
    yep, do not listen to someone saying not to play a Merc because of PvP. Their issues were addressed. If you like a Hunter play style from WoW, you could be a Merc or a Sniper. I feel that Mercs translate better for that style, though they do feel unique. I enjoy a Merc more than a hunter, but all classes in this game have less to manage than anything resembling their style in WoW.

Deleted
    I'd recommend playing a Bounty Hunter purely for the story anyway. I've played an inquisitor and a consular and found their stories terribly boring, but I'm currently levelling a BH and their story is epic. For the first time, I actually care about my companion and I love her personal storyline going on too (weirdly, I never experienced a proper in depth story for my companion before Mako). And to add to what Kittyvicious said, I played a hunter in WoW and hated it, and I made a ranger in GW2 and I wasn't a huge fan, but I LOVE the BH... so I'd give it a try even if you aren;t sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    For lord sake, subscribe if you wish to play SWTOR. F2P has so many restrictions that it actually chokes players.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    For lord sake, subscribe if you wish to play SWTOR. F2P has so many restrictions that it actually chokes players.
    You must be late to the party.

You can get around almost every restriction without paying money.
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2012-11-24 at 05:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

You can get around almost every restriction without playing money.
    In SWTOR? How? Coins? Still extra payment. You run half xp, you have 2 action bars, you have 2 char slots, can hardly use half the gear that drops and so much more. How would you get around that without paying? Bigger bank costs money if you ain't a sub, higher grade gear costs money if you ain't a sub, more action bars cost money if you ain't a sub and so much more.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

In SWTOR? How? Coins? Still extra payment. You run half xp, you have 2 action bars, you have 2 char slots, can hardly use half the gear that drops and so much more. How would you get around that without paying? Bigger bank costs money if you ain't a sub, higher grade gear costs money if you ain't a sub, more action bars cost money if you ain't a sub and so much more.
    lol.

No. Not coins.

In game currency called "credits". Think wow's "gold"

You can buy more actions bars. You can buy access to epics. you can buy exp boosts (its not half. Its 25%). You can buy bigger banks.

All without spending any real money or cartel coins.,

10+ Year Old Account
    lol.

No. Not coins.

In game currency called "credits". Think wow's "gold"

You can buy more actions bars. You can buy access to epics. you can buy exp boosts (its not half. Its 25%). You can buy bigger banks.

All without spending any real money or cartel coins.,
    True, but I count them in the same area as coins, as I rather wanna use my credits for something else. And it would run up in alot of credits as you have to rebuy some of the gear permits for example. And when one hardly earns credits, it's worse.

True, but I count them in the same area as coins, as I rather wanna use my credits for something else. And it would run up in alot of credits as you have to rebuy some of the gear permits for example. And when one hardly earns credits, it's worse.
    Okay. One, you shouldn't consider in game money the same thing as cartel coins.
    One costs USD/Euro that you usually get from doing work at your job and the other one you acquire from playing a video game. They are polar opposites.

second, the gear permit is a one time purchase. You don't need to rebuy them.

I haven't played SWTOR in a few months, but I did enjoy it. It seemed like Ranged classes dominated and melee just got kited and owned when the game first came out. Maybe it's better now?

Deleted

You can get around almost every restriction without paying money.
    Yeah sure. Because as a true F2P guy you are going to get so much stuff for your measly 200k credit they give you. You are also not able to lift the caps on various Commendations. (20 Planet/ 60 endgame stuff.) Chat restrictions aren't exactly going to improve your experience either.

Quote Originally Posted by Varabently View Post
    I haven't played SWTOR in a few months, but I did enjoy it. It seemed like Ranged classes dominated and melee just got kited and owned when the game first came out. Maybe it's better now?
    Depends. Level 50 PVP is still a hot mess. They haven't touched balance significantly in the last 4 month. Low level PVP is somewhat balanced. Granted a lot of classes bloom pretty late and are pretty much a free kill if they are under 30.

I'm not sure where you go the range class domination idea from anyway too be honest. Probably low level PVP where a lot of gap closers and CC possibilities come late for various specs.

Quote Originally Posted by Nris View Post
    Yeah sure. Because as a true F2P guy you are going to get so much stuff for your measly 200k credit they give you. You are also not able to lift the caps on various Commendations. (20 Planet/ 60 endgame stuff.) Chat restrictions aren't exactly going to improve your experience either.
    Real f2pers are preferred status.