Page 1 of 2
LastLast

HDTV 24 Inch for gaming?

I'm thinking about buying an 1080P HDTV for my computer.
    should i buy HDTV or buy a 1080p monitor?
    is there a major difference between them or are they the same?
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-24V421...027401&sr=1-25

TV will always be worse as a computer monitor. Colors are calibrated differently (TV needs to be visible even in bright daylight while monitor needs to have accurate colors) and TV will have bigger lag from all scalers and picture improvement features which will be notable in twitch reaction gaming.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Monitor is always better. You pay for tons of features you do not need in a TV. In addition to what vesseblah said, you have the tuner itself and speakers, which are entirely unnecessary when using as a monitor.

what do you think about this one it's a TV/monitor combo

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...o_cart_title_1

Deleted
    Well.....I don't know guess it's okay?
    But I would go for a Dell IPS panel like I have from the Ultrasharp series.
    Admit I don't know what good a IPS does but I probably appreciate it without knowing it.

Oh here it is:

IPS panels can process high speed signals without data loss by using copper wiring with low resistance values.
    IPS Panels offer clear images and stable response time.[1]
    IPS panels display consistent and accurate color from all viewing angles.
    Unlike TN LCDs IPS panels do not lighten or show tailing when touched. This is important for touchscreen-operated devices, such as most smartphones and tablets.[1]

The one I have:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraShar...rasharp+u2412m

But honestly I am just pointing out what I have here since it served me so well without any problems so far.
    Last edited by mmoc13485c3c3f; 2012-11-16 at 07:13 AM.

Deleted
    Just gonna drop in an advice you against buying a tv to use as a pc monitor. You will never get the same quality as you'd get with a real computor montior.

I'm using a 42" TV as a monitor. Reason why? My eyes are crap and I like having bigger fonts to be able to stay further away from the screen. Can't even begin telling you how much better it is to play on it. However, tastes may vary. I haven't noticed any slowdowns either.

Deleted
    A TV will always be worse for gaming and general computer use than a monitor. This mainly due to the difference in the way the image is being processed. There are TV's that rectify the issue(s), but the signal is still going through a TV tuner or an image enhancement motor which in one way or another will cause input delay. When a TV company advertise "800MHz fluid motion ultra smooth image", which may do wonders for your regular 24Hz TV-input, it's basically just causing an annoyance while playing games from a computer.

Then there's the issue of paying more for stuff you will essentially not need or take use from. It's a worse experience to read computer generated text on a TV, as is the pixel density.

There are few reasons, probably no reasons realistically, to pick a TV instead of a dedicated monitor. The only reason I see where it is viable is in a doem where space is limited and you (for some reason) must have a TV.

ok, so
    is this a good enough monitor? for gaming and Blu-ray?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    ok, so
    is this a good enough monitor? for gaming and Blu-ray?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    They are all 'good' but not the 'best' you could get.

Deleted
    a monitor will be cheaper and better for PC use

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Furypie View Post
    Just gonna drop in an advice you against buying a tv to use as a pc monitor. You will never get the same quality as you'd get with a real computor montior.
    this is true, ive tested this with half a dozen different 24 to 32" TV's and they suck as a monitor. maybe if youre playing your game from 2-3 meters away from it, then
    its viable solution with a 46" (altho you cant see jack off from the text lol)

Quote Originally Posted by tears View Post
    this is true, ive tested this with half a dozen different 24 to 32" TV's and they suck as a monitor. maybe if youre playing your game from 2-3 meters away from it, then
    its viable solution with a 46" (altho you cant see jack off from the text lol)
    No idea what you're trying to say there, about the text... I can see everything fine on my 47" TV, it's not large or small, plus you can easily change all the options anyways.

Strictly for gaming, monitors are better, especially in fast paced games (e.g. Guitar Hero). I badly need to use my 24" because the lag is like half a note off on the 47"... Tried to rectify it with the in-game lag thing but it was a load of crap (The dragon force songs were a nightmare!).
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Actually a lot more goes into monitor choice for "pro" gaming. The same monitors used on RTS are not used on FPS. Right off the top FPS monitors have black removal or shadow removal. It basically asserts brightness into shadowed areas, on the current MLG monitor BenQ the gaming monitors have "Black eQualizer" if you were to see a b4 and after you'd understand.

One is more consistent with a movie or tv show, trying to be really showing off the ambiance the other is giving you a full view.

HRMM i find myself on the oposite side of most of the advice. i made a choice to go to 1 52" 1080p tv since it was cheaper than a 52" monitor. i love it for fps/rts and wow. With the extra inputs i can swap over to my 360 and still use my pc for voice chat. (picture in picture is kinda nice for raid downtimes as i can scan tv channels while not looking away from the raid.) I really haven't noticed any lesser quality video. infact my 2nd smaller tv/monitor is in use now on my mediacenter pc. (one setting pc allows me to use it to stream videos/web ect. 2nd setting (tv) lets me just watch what my directv box shows.

seeing what the above pics show it's allmost kind of like a alpha setting you can manually set on most tv's but without whitewashing the lighter colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Arteous View Post
    HRMM i find myself on the oposite side of most of the advice. i made a choice to go to 1 52" 1080p tv since it was cheaper than a 52" monitor. i love it for fps/rts and wow. With the extra inputs i can swap over to my 360 and still use my pc for voice chat. (picture in picture is kinda nice for raid downtimes as i can scan tv channels while not looking away from the raid.) I really haven't noticed any lesser quality video. infact my 2nd smaller tv/monitor is in use now on my mediacenter pc. (one setting pc allows me to use it to stream videos/web ect. 2nd setting (tv) lets me just watch what my directv box shows.

seeing what the above pics show it's allmost kind of like a alpha setting you can manually set on most tv's but without whitewashing the lighter colors.
    52" you have to sit 30ft away @ 1080p for that to not look grainy, theres a reason people use 23-24" 16:9 monitors for FPS gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    52" you have to sit 30ft away @ 1080p for that to not look grainy, theres a reason people use 23-24" 16:9 monitors for FPS gaming.
    Facts. TV's will look worse than a monitor, especially at that size. It's very noticeable at anything close to a few feet, I would recommend an eye doctor if it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    Facts. TV's will look worse than a monitor, especially at that size. It's very noticeable at anything close to a few feet, I would recommend an eye doctor if it isn't.
    There is also more and more noticeable input lag w/ larger TV's on my samsung bedroom tv 23" 1920x1080 60hz it has little to no lag but the 40" identical tv (cept screen size) has a very noticeable lag during Xbox games.

looks like this answers my query as well - my mate uses his 32" tv as a monitor and i thought it looked pretty decent, nice gfx, big screen etc etc and was gonna ask about whether it was feasible(?) to use a tv as a monitor but now i prob wont bother

i was gonna use a tv coz tbh, a 32" tv can cost around £130-£200 depending on where u go but i rarely see even a 22" monitor for less than 170ish, the 2 monitors highlighted being examples

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yohassakura View Post
    No idea what you're trying to say there, about the text... I can see everything fine on my 47" TV, it's not large or small, plus you can easily change all the options anyways.

Strictly for gaming, monitors are better, especially in fast paced games (e.g. Guitar Hero). I badly need to use my 24" because the lag is like half a note off on the 47"... Tried to rectify it with the in-game lag thing but it was a load of crap (The dragon force songs were a nightmare!).
    well yeah i put it a bit messy way. what i meant, that you shouldnt be playing with 46" or 47" as close as you'd play with normal 24"

the picture would be optimal for 46" if you'd be looking that around 3-3.5meters away from it -> if you'd do that -> you wouldnt prolly see the text correctly / easily