Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Question IPS Monitor with 5ms response time or TN/LED Monitor with 2ms response time?

So I'm thinking about getting a double monitor setup.

Found two monitors that seem quite nice;

- AOC i2367fh, an IPS monitor with 5 ms response time.
    - iiyama ProLite B2481HS-1, TN/LED monitor with 2 ms response time.

So I've heard that IPS has a superior viewing angle, better color display and more.

The only downside is the high response time. Right now I have a screen with 2 ms response time.

If I switch to a IPS screen with 5 ms response time, how will this affect my gaming experience?
    Is the 3 ms response time difference really noticeable?

My primary use for this monitor will be gaming and watching movies. I'll also do some office work on them.

Any experiences/advice is appreciated

I also have a IPS screen, and i don't see a problem with the higher response time while playing games.
    Even in FPS games i don't see a problem.
    I wouldn't trade the better image quality and colors that stay the same while moving you head for a better response time anymore

Edit: I have a Dell U2312HM which has 8ms btw.
    Last edited by dklol; 2012-11-22 at 09:37 AM.
    CPU:i5-3570k@0,930V MB:ASUS P8Z77-V GPU:GTX 680 Lightning RAM:8GB DDR3 1600

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't really be able to notice the difference between 2ms & 5ms
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    You won't really be able to notice the difference between 2ms & 5ms
    There are also many peole out there who claim to see the difference between 60 and 70 FPS on a 60hz screen, so they probably also see the difference between 2 and 5ms

I strongly doubt you'll notice a difference between 2ms and 5ms. IMO gogo IPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dklol View Post
    There are also many peole out there who claim to see the difference between 60 and 70 FPS on a 60hz screen, so they probably also see the difference between 2 and 5ms
    I can notice between 60 & 70FPS on FPS games, although not on Starcraft
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Do you have a 120hz screen? If not the only thing you will notice is massive screen tearing

I bet this is also on 60 hz screen xDDD, anyways read the comment people make before you quote them, And if you are claiming to see a difference bethween 60 and 70 fps on 60 Hz screen.. then you might wanna read on what 60Hz on a screen actually means

10+ Year Old Account
    I always run at a locked 90 FPS on Blops 2, and I get very sluggish whenever it's below the 60 area.

I know what a 60hz screen is, and that's what I use.

Armory

I always run at a locked 90 FPS on Blops 2, and I get very sluggish whenever it's below the 60 area.

I know what a 60hz screen is, and that's what I use.
    That's a problem with the game then, because even with 90 FPS you still only see 60 images per second
    I had games that only look "smooth" with far over 100 fps, but e.g. in WoW i can't see stuttering with 35fps^^
    Also i can't imagine how you and others can live with the screen tearing?

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're one of those people who think the human eye only can see 30 pictures per second?

Then I'm out of here, since you don't have the slightest clue of what you're talking about.

Armory

Deleted
    I think he means that a 60Hz screen cant show more than 60 fps. So seeing the difference between 60 and 70 fps on a 60Hz screen, should be impossible

That's a problem with the game then, because even with 90 FPS you still only see 60 images per second
    I had games that only look "smooth" with far over 100 fps, but e.g. in WoW i can't see stuttering with 35fps^^
    Also i can't imagine how you and others can live with the screen tearing?
    The idea that humans can only see sixty frames per second is an outdated one, also an incorrect one.

He didn't say anything about people only seeing sixty frames per second. He said you can't see 90 FPS on a 60hz monitor. Don't use your misinterpretations to start a debate on the limitations of the human eye. Those never end well.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    So you're one of those people who think the human eye only can see 30 pictures per second?
    its not like that, you can see more pictures per second than the magical 32ish. its the reaction time between your eye + brains that delivers
    the vision of the images. if you ever compare 1080i and 1080p with 25/50/60hz you'll see the difference there in slow motion but in action
    your brain wont follow it up.

with a lot of computer use (like myself) in gaming as well in the video and picture industry, i do see the differences between 30, 50 and even with 60hz
    differences, but partially due to my knowledge of how the vision, picturing, motion in videos / screens etc. works

you can compare that normal guy with a 1080i wont see a difference with a 1080p - thats pretty much non-gamers or the guys who dont work with computers
    or displays in that matter, too often.

I like how people fail to understand that a 60hz screen can only show 60 images per second, and think i'm somwhow talking about how the eye can't see more than 60fps

Some facts:
    -With a 60hz monitor you won't get a "smoother" image with over 60fps, only the game itself may run better, that's engine specific. (in minecraft you see and feel every fps more for example)
    -The eye has no fps, it only won't see single pictures if the gap between them is small enough. (you all know a flicker book )
    -The "gap" gets normally small enough somewhere around 20fps, but that's not true for games, as they "work differently".
    -Still some games seem completely smooth with 30fps already, again that's engine specific. (WoW is smooth for me at 30fps in capitals, LoL is not)

And most importantly: 60+fps on a 60hz screen looks shit:

I like how people fail to understand that a 60hz screen can only show 60 images per second, and think i'm somwhow talking about how the eye can't see more than 60fps

Some facts:
    -With a 60hz monitor you won't get a "smoother" image with over 60fps, only the game itself may run better, that's engine specific. (in minecraft you see and feel every fps more for example)
    -The eye has no fps, it only won't see single pictures if the gap between them is small enough. (you all know a flicker book )
    -The "gap" gets normally small enough somewhere around 20fps, but that's not true for games, as they "work differently".
    -Still some games seem completely smooth with 30fps already, again that's engine specific. (WoW is smooth for me at 30fps in capitals, LoL is not)

And most importantly: 60+fps on a 60hz screen looks shit:
    I'm confused with how you think people can't notice a dif of 60 vs 70 fps on 60hz when you are clearly aware there is. ie tearing.

Deleted
    Yeah, when I asked here once about monitors, some guys were all: DUDE RESPONSE TIME MAN.

I just got a Dell which somebody recommended, turned out to be an IPS and I couldn't be happier.

I have a Dell U2412M.

Deleted
    I wouldn't go for the TN monitor, unless price is an issue. I have two monitors here, one is an $1000 MVA and one is a $200 TN. TN has bad viewing angles, but I also think that my MVA is a bit slow in games, but maybe newer IPS or PLS or whatever technology is better meanwhile.

Once I opened MS-Excel on the TN, two times, side by side. I just copied one graphic from one excel window to the other one, and I wondered why the color didn't look the same. It took me quite some time before I figured out that color was dependent on the position of my head (viewing angle)... I just forgott that I was working with a TN panel...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    I wouldn't go for the TN monitor, unless price is an issue.
    That's the weird part, the IPS pannel is cheaper.. The 24" TN monitor is 190 euros, which is like.. 230 dollars?

The 23" IPS monitor has a recommended price of 200$