10+ Year Old Account

Question on possibly upgrading my grpahics card

So since the Black Friday sales are here, I was looking at a GTX 660 TI and was wondering if I would see a performance increase if I replaced two GTX 460's w/ SLI.

Since this new card is only 250$ + 2 free games the value is outstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

Deleted
    Try this http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/10...x-460s-in-sli/
    I have 460's too and I am struggling to see where I could see any gains with these newer cards. Maybe the next generation would prove a more substantial upgrade

660ti is about 10-20% faster than 460SLI making it rather poor upgrade when looking at FPS alone, but...

You also lose any and all SLI related problems, 200W of power usage and whole lot of heat and noise.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Try this http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/10...x-460s-in-sli/
    I have 460's too and I am struggling to see where I could see any gains with these newer cards. Maybe the next generation would prove a more substantial upgrade
    Oh wow, from those forums I'm glad I asked here first.
    Oh would you now? It truly is amazing how many heroic people we have wasting their time on internet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Before purchasing, you might want to do some research into the problems that many nvidia owners have been having with drivers. With the 306.23 (and subsequent) driver, you'd be in the middle of play when the game would crash, and an error message along the lines of 'xxx.xx driver has crashed but recovered' would appear.

I have the EVGA GTX 660 (superclocked), and I have been forced to select dx9 and pull all graphics back to lowest settings in order for the game to run. I haven't checked the WoW or nvidia forums recently, but last I looked, there was no solution available, and lots of players were experiencing this issue.
    Remember this, kids, it is very important. Even if your mommy makes you a super hero costume, do not attempt to do any of these things, especially flying. Because you cannot do it. You do not have super powers. Because there is only one Super Grover. And that is me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    660ti is about 10-20% faster than 460SLI making it rather poor upgrade when looking at FPS alone, but...

You also lose any and all SLI related problems, 200W of power usage and whole lot of heat and noise.
    And i get AC3 and Borderlands 2 for free. I might just go ahead and upgrade, and then buy another 660Ti when i get more money and run the SLi with two 660's.

---------- Post added 2012-11-22 at 11:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Yerbury View Post
    Before purchasing, you might want to do some research into the problems that many nvidia owners have been having with drivers. With the 306.23 (and subsequent) driver, you'd be in the middle of play when the game would crash, and an error message along the lines of 'xxx.xx driver has crashed but recovered' would appear.

I have the EVGA GTX 660 (superclocked), and I have been forced to select dx9 and pull all graphics back to lowest settings in order for the game to run. I haven't checked the WoW or nvidia forums recently, but last I looked, there was no solution available, and lots of players were experiencing this issue.
    Thanks for the info.

Deleted
    Yea why not it wouldn't hurt let me know how it goes I might just do something along those lines myself :P

Only drawback using SLI for me is noise
    Not arsed about the Icecaps so power consumption isn't an issue
    And the heat ....well keeps my room warm bonus
    Saying that my (look at them numbers) days have passed so maybe a single card is the way to go

10+ Year Old Account
    What games are you playing (or looking at playing) and is this at 1920x1080? Need that answered before I can say anything about this.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze