Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Not really given that the ability to exonerate him rested solely in the hands of the girl.
    I don't see how that's relevant to the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endgame619 View Post
    “It is more important that innocence be protected than it is that guilt be punished, for guilt and crimes are so frequent in this world that they cannot all be punished. But if innocence itself is brought to the bar and condemned, perhaps to die, then the citizen will say, "whether I do good or whether I do evil is immaterial, for innocence itself is no protection," and if such an idea as that were to take hold in the mind of the citizen that would be the end of security whatsoever.”
    ― John Adams
    John Adams, one of history’s great lawyers (among other things).

For this reason, physical evidence of the crime or multiple uninterested eye witness's testimony should be required for a conviction.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    Did this occur to anyone? This event happened 9 years ago. the daughter was 13 at the time. Over the years, when she was growing up the memory of the event went fuzzy, as things do when growing up, and the daughter was pressured from outside sources to mess up her recollection of events. Thus, she recanted her previous statement made 9 years ago. When the rape victim herself saying, there was no rape, the law can not accept the man as guilty. Real life is just as convulated as this theory.
    So basically, your theory is that the girl as pressured into retracting her statement, 9 YEARS after she made it?

If she was so pressured, she would have never have reported it.

Casandra Kennedy is in a mission trip in Mexico, said Miller. She wants to reach out to her father.

"I think the most important story is that maybe a little girl who was hurt all her life now can have
    a decent relationship that she's always wanted," said Miller.

FUCK THAT.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Excuse me, but what kind of backwards reasoning is this? Real Rape victims have nothing to hide, they have the proof to step forward and show what happened.

All they do is discourage woman from throwing the rape card when they don't have their own way.
    what proof do "real rape victims" always have?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If we're looking at this from a utilitarian aspect there's not much to be gained from prosecuting her unless we think she's going to start accusing more people of rape. Whether rape victims' fears are unfounded or not they are a serious hurdle to dealing with rape and need to be addressed.
    Not referring to just this case. Similar cases. Say a grown woman falsely accuses a man of beating her and he gets thrown in jail. Do we condone her behavior by not punishing her because we're afraid it will discourage real domestic violence victims from coming forward?

Or in similar cases to this. What if there are teens who really hate someone? I mean really hate them and know full well what will happen if they falsely accuse said person of misconduct? Would they not read about a case like this and see that there are no repercussions for false allegations for a minor? I knew several people from high school who used their age because they knew the repercussions for their actions would mean little to no real punishment. I'm not saying they're common but they're definitely out there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    You can quite easily get DNA tests gone, swab tests and witness testimonies. Surpisingly enough Rape is a crime, and you need to go through the act of criminal evidence to prove it.

If a woman can just go "I was raped" and get a man imprisoned, then the Law is seriously wrong.

I as a man cannot play the rape card at all, even if it was true.

If you get held up in an alleyway by a guy holding a banana in his pocket pretending it's a gun, what proof do you have that he took your wallet, removed the cash and dropped it on the ground?

Not referring to just this case. Similar cases. Say a grown woman falsely accuses a man of beating her and he gets thrown in jail. Do we condone her behavior by not punishing her because we're afraid it will discourage real domestic violence victims from coming forward?
    I'm looking at the thing as a whole. She was very young. It was a long time ago. There are concerns about discouraging reporting. You keep focusing solely on the last part when I'm saying you have to look at the case as a whole.

You can quite easily get DNA tests gone, swab tests and witness testimonies. Surpisingly enough Rape is a crime, and you need to go through the act of criminal evidence to prove it.

If a woman can just go "I was raped" and get a man imprisoned, then the Law is seriously wrong.

I as a man cannot play the rape card at all, even if it was true.
    unless of course the rapist wasnt an idiot.

Deleted
    I'm looking at the thing as a whole. She was very young. It was a long time ago. There are concerns about discouraging reporting. You keep focusing solely on the last part when I'm saying you have to look at the case as a whole.

I have yet to see a reason why this discourages reporting real rape cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    If you get held up in an alleyway by a guy holding a banana in his pocket pretending it's a gun, what proof do you have that he took your wallet, removed the cash and dropped it on the ground?
    fingerprints. fingerprints dont last long on (living) skin afaik.

If you want to look at just this case, that's your prerogative I suppose. I see this case as symptomatic of a much larger problem.

Deleted
    unless of course the rapist wasnt an idiot.
    Same can be said about any decent murderer then.

Thems the brakes kid, it's awful, but there should never by any legal system that jails people "Because I said that guy raped me"

It would be like jailing that weird guy down the street for murder just because "He carried an Axe that one time"

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 06:54 AM ----------

Actually, they do. also in alot of rape cases, bruising happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    If you want to look at just this case, that's your prerogative I suppose. I see this case as symptomatic of a much larger problem.
    Of course you do.
    Last edited by Wells; 2012-11-23 at 07:03 AM.

Same can be said about any decent murderer then.

Thems the brakes kid, it's awful, but there should never by any legal system that jails people "Because I said that guy raped me"

It would be like jailing that weird guy down the street for murder just because "He carried an Axe that one time"
    so, "real rape victims" wont always have solid evidence? glad we cleared that up.

Because... wearing gloves is hard?

I'm actually on your side in that rape victims don't always have much to go on... but even a rape victim where their rapist used a condom or some implement (Like that female cop who anally raped someone she'd arrested with her billy club) will have more to go on than someone who was the victim of a crime where they never made physical contact.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have yet to see a reason why this discourages reporting real rape cases.
    Because it would be criminalizing false claims. Even if a claim is real the woman is usually afraid no one will believe her. Now she's thinking "wow, no one will believe me AND I could go to jail/get a criminal record."

Plus if some bitch lies and gets a guy thrown in jail on rape charges then later wants to recant, she's probably going to be less likely to do it if there's a penalty for doing so.

Deleted
    so, "real rape victims" wont always have solid evidence? glad we cleared that up.
    Bruising, Witnesses fingerprints and DNA testing. This give plenty of evidence.

Not all rapes are done my mastermind rape-ninjas who wear full bodysuits and fuck you like a leaf glides on the wind.

---------- Post added 2012-11-23 at 06:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Because it would be criminalizing false claims.

Strange, I thought lying in a court of law WAS a criminal offense.

Of course you do. You have spectacularly unhealthy views on sex and gender interaction but that's neither here nor there.
    If that's neither here nor there then that last sentence was simply a personal attack. Kudos to you for that.

I didn't say that false accusations were a large problem compared to rape. I said this particular case was an example of a larger problem... which it is.