Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well she was 11 at the time of this lie. I know that most 11 year olds don't think of what exactly will happen when they end up lying. Who knows, she may have even been coerced into saying that she was raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    She probably told the lie to get back at her father, and it ballooned out of control. I'm sure that she was afraid that she would have to spend her life in prison. 12 year old kids know better, but they aren't savvy by any means.
    This is what probably happened.

Its a pretty messed up story, but I honestly don't know what to do about it. I can see why people want to have her charged with some crime, but I also see why the DA doesn't want to charge her.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    That's not the point. The fear of not being taken seriously is a big deal and a very common concern. Surely you can see how that ties into it right? You tell women that false reports are a crime, which is correct. They worry their claims won't be taken seriously. They worry that if they're not taken seriously the authorities will think they're lying.
    So that means she shouldn't be punished?

I can only imagine what happened to him in prison. As far as I know felons don't take kindly to purported rapists, especially those who rape little girls. Should the ten years of his life that he can never get back or the heinous things that probably happened to an innocent man go unpunished? No I don't think so.

Deleted
    I think we can all agree that the moral of this thread is, Dont rape her, unless she gives you permission

right?
    Last edited by mmoc653be429b6; 2012-11-23 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    I think we can all agree that the moral of this thread is, Dont rape her, unless she give you permission

right?
    That might pass as a joke if it made any sense to what happened here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Which has absolutely no bearing on what we are currently discussing.
    it has a lot.

I'm so sad that this is my home town.

On topic. Falsely accusing someone of rape is right up there with committing rape in my book. It's a disgusting act and should be punished.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    it has a lot.
    Not in any logical sense and you have not provided evidence that it matters at all otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    This is actually a pretty common thing when these cases come to light like this. Man's been in jail for years, women was like "Yeah I lied" and the prosecutors won't even touch the case because "they don't want to discourage real victims".

Remember that black kid who was on track to be part of the NFL and went to jail till he was almost 30? Yeah not only that but the "victim" sued the school she was at for $1 million based on that case. Guess what kind of punishment she got.
    Indeed. Double edged sword... What is worse? A rape victim wrongly accused of lieing and getting 'a slap on the wrist' or someone wrongly accused of rape and whose life is ruined after sitting in prison for 9-30 years?
    Discouraging real victims? If you are a real rape victim the chances of locking someone up and then suddenly getting new evidence that the accused is without a doubt (so being 100% sure he/she is innocent) wrongly accused is pretty slim.

Locking someone up for 9-30 years and ruining their lives while they are innocent can not go unpunished. And then with a cherry on top by sueing for $1 million. How can someone live with that...

Deleted
    I wonder, as a guy, could I falsely accuse my boss of raping me, because then he would serve jail time, and everyone would think he was gay

double kill

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That's what boggled my mind as well. So much for the justice system, and 'innocent until PROVEN guilty'. I'm seriously at a loss for words here, I simply can't believe that this freaking happened. And in my home state, too.
    Oregon folks up in here yeah yeah

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderPussy View Post
    I'm so sad that this is my home town.

On topic. Falsely accusing someone of rape is right up there with committing rape in my book. It's a disgusting act and should be punished.
    If you are sitting in jail for 9-30 years it is much worse in my book.

Deleted
    The problem these days is a LOT of women/men/children know that they can either get someone in a lot of trouble, or even make money from, accusing someone of rape and getting them convicted. What really pisses me off in cases like this is that girl is completely shitting all over real rape victims, and the more this kind of stuff happens the harder it is for real victims to come forward.

Personally I think this girl should be locked up for 9 years, she caused him to lose 9 years of his life, it's only fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    Not in any logical sense and you have not provided evidence that it matters at all otherwise.
    you dont see how a lack of evidence for the victims testimony ads to an accusation of false testimony?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    I wonder, as a guy, could I falsely accuse my boss of raping me, because then he would serve jail time, and everyone would think he was gay

double kill
    Newsflash: Rape is wrong, being gay isn't.

and as we already discussed in this thread, rape evidence is often difficult to obtain, much less it being a matter of whos word to trust more.
    That might be but when there is no evidence someone shouldn't be convicted. Simply because of situations happening like these. Criminals going free sucks but putting innocent people in jail for years so we can sleep better at night is even worse.

you dont see how a lack of evidence for the victims testimony ads to an accusation of false testimony?
    A lack of evidence for your case isn't inherently evidence against you. Trying to prove that something didn't occur, which is what you'd need to do, is pretty fucking difficult. Failing to prove that it did occur is not the same as proving that it didn't nor is failing to prove that it didn't occur the same as proving that it did occur.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    If this was a girl in in her mid teens or older I would absolutely seek some kind of punishment. The only thing with punishment though is that who does it really help? It's such a shitty situation to be honest. I guess the only people this would really be helping are trying to deter this from happening to innocent people in the future, but there really isn't going to be a feel good story coming out of this at all.

This case is a little complicated based on the fact that the man accused and the victim were father and daughter. Further complicated by the fact that the daughter was 11 years old at the time.

I'm not defending the girl at all but I can't lie and say that 11 year olds are at a mental capacity that they make good decisions at that point in their life. It's fucking sad but do you punish a 23 year old based on her actions as an 11 year old?

I really don't know what you do in this case because there are good arguments on both sides. I certainly side with the father one hundred percent, but the circumstances are just awful. Like I mentioned at the start of my post, if this was a grown woman or someone in their mid to late teens, I would absolutely without a doubt be demanding that something be put in place to stop this type of behavior.

Rape is an awful crime, but taking a mans freedom away for 9 years is honestly just as bad. I know movies aren't accurate of what happens in real prisons, but I know for a fact other prisoners and authority figures themselves don't take kindly to people who were charged with rape. Let alone that the victim was a child.

No. If the accused isn't convicted then there is no reason to punish the victim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Falsely accusing someone should hold the penalty as the crime committed.

Woman have so much "protection" now-a-days that it is almost reverse sexism. In which a woman yells "Rape" and a man loses 9 years of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    If this was a girl in in her mid teens or older I would absolutely slam her with harsh punishment for ruining someones life.

This case is a little complicated based on the fact the the man accused and the victim were father and daughter. Further complicated by the fact that the daughter was 11 years old at the time.

I'm not defending the girl at all but I can't lie and say that 11 year olds are at a mental capacity that they make good decisions at that point in their life. It's fucking sad but do you punish a 23 year old based on her actions as an 11 year old?

I really don't know what you do in this case because there are good arguments on both sides. I certainly side with the father one hundred percent, but the circumstances are just awful. Like I mentioned at the start of my post, if this was a grown woman or someone in their mid to late teens, I would absolutely without a doubt be demanding that something be put in place to stop this type of behavior.

Rape is an awful crime, but taking a mans freedom away for 9 years is honestly just as bad. I know movies aren't accurate of what happens in real prisons, but I know for a fact other prisoners and authority figures themselves don't take kindly to people who were charged with rape. Let alone that the victim was a child.
    You don't have to punish her for her actions as an 11 year-old, but you can punish her for her actions as an 18 year-old, 19 year-old, 20 year-old, 21 year-old, 22 year-old and 23 year-old. That is, failing to come forward until now.