Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    I bet this is a case of two sides to every story. Yeah, the racist guy threw a punch but what did the Op do to garner that punch? Did he get in the guys face badgering him to apologize? Or threaten the guy if he didn't apologize or shove him or something?
    Is it really so hard to understand that if someone swings at you or your friend, you don't wait around making hand gestures trying to deescalate the situation...

If someone swung at my friend then I'd take them down as well. It's generally a spur of the moment, instinctive thing.

I bet this is a case of two sides to every story. Yeah, the racist guy threw a punch but what did the Op do to garner that punch? Did he get in the guys face badgering him to apologize? Or threaten the guy if he didn't apologize or shove him or something?
    I can't help but think the guy made this thread to white knight. I mean, he conveniently found a way to wiggle the marines into it when it had nothing to do with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Is it really so hard to understand that if someone swings at you or your friend, you don't wait around making hand gestures trying to deescalate the situation...

If someone swung at my friend then I'd take them down as well. It's generally a spur of the moment, instinctive thing.
    But the guy probably didn't just swing at him and his friend. He said they was running down the street when someone called his friend a name. So that sounds to me that they stopped and went back to confront the guy. Which in turn eventually led to punches being thrown.

But the guy probably didn't just swing at him and his friend. He said they was running down the street when someone called his friend a name. So that sounds to me that they stopped and went back to confront the guy. Which in turn eventually led to punches being thrown.
    He said that name before we passed him, he was wearing the blue naval academy shirt and I said that's not cool apologize, he swung. He was drunk

This is the way I understood it. The bottom line is offensive people are best ignored. So he called someone you like a nigger. Just ignore ass holes like that. They don't go away, but if you ignore them they become irrelevant.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    This is the way I understood it. The bottom line is offensive people are best ignored. So he called someone you like a nigger. Just ignore ass holes like that. They don't go away, but if you ignore them they become irrelevant.
    I'm sorry but that's a load of shit.

The guy was clearly looking for a fight, and would have found one regardless. Ignoring him wouldn't have done jack-shit.

"Ignore him" is bullshit ignorant advice that parents and teachers give students when they don't want to deal with a bully, when all it really does is piss the bully off and drive them toward a more physical MO, until somebody ends up getting hurt.

Ignorance doesn't solve ignorance.

Deleted
    A good friend will help you move the furniture. A best friend will help you bury the body.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post

You got it in the wrong order, he "asked" (I get the feeling that he threatened, but I wasn't there) the other guy to apologize, and THEN the other guy threw a punch, he didn't attempt to throw a punch BEFORE he was "asked" to apologize. I think it's safe to conclude here that the OP said something that aggravated the other party. Regardless, whatever the OP thinks, walking away would have been the best option and based on the fact that the other guy didn't do anything until AFTER he was talked to is evidence that he was never going to do anything in the first place.

Of course, then again, we weren't there, so we're really only hearing one side and we can't even be positive his side is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by dupti View Post
    Something.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phryke View Post
    Infantry, it's what I wanted. I only got a 67 on the test
    Only 67? Isn't the minimum to join like a 30? I'm planning on taking my ASVAB sometime early next year. Trying to get into the air force as an aerial gunner or pararescue. Good luck to you at BMT they kick the shit out of you there in the marines.

OT: like others have said if he didn't cuff and book you, you shouldn't worry to much.

Quote Originally Posted by akro View Post
    Only 67? Isn't the minimum to join like a 30? I'm planning on taking my ASVAB sometime early next year. Trying to get into the air force as an aerial gunner or pararescue. Good luck to you at BMT they kick the shit out of you there in the marines.

OT: like others have said if he didn't cuff and book you, you shouldn't worry to much.
    He did cuff me but I wasn't arrested he just detained me and gave me a citation, I called the station and they have no file of it

I didn't study for the test and it wasn't to bad

Here is a random thought. Next time something like this happens...grow a thicker skin and don't resort to throwing punches.

TL;DR Don't be a brute, and walk away.
    So If I insult you, and proceed to punch you, lets face it if saying sorry would atagonise me, your not walking away without saying anything either, then your going to stand there and take a beat?
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I'm sorry but that's a load of shit.

The guy was clearly looking for a fight, and would have found one regardless. Ignoring him wouldn't have done jack-shit.

"Ignore him" is bullshit ignorant advice that parents and teachers give students when they don't want to deal with a bully, when all it really does is piss the bully off and drive them toward a more physical MO, until somebody ends up getting hurt.

Ignorance doesn't solve ignorance.
    No your right. He did the right thing by confronting the person and potentially getting a disorderly conduct charge. Much smarter.

Jesus. What's wrong with people.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 05:08 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    So If I insult you, and proceed to punch you, lets face it if saying sorry would atagonise me, your not walking away without saying anything either, then your going to stand there and take a beat?
    Clearly not. I misread OPs original post. I thought he demanded an insult and then took him down. Didn't see that the other guy threw first. Obviously you should defend your self. What I have a problem with is the idea that you have to confront someone who insults you. If he would have just kept on walking this post would have never been made.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No your right. He did the right thing by confronting the person and potentially getting a disorderly conduct charge. Much smarter.

Jesus. What's wrong with people.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 05:08 PM ----------

Clearly not. I misread OPs original post. I thought he demanded an insult and then took him down. Didn't see that the other guy threw first. Obviously you should defend your self. What I have a problem with is the idea that you have to confront someone who insults you. If he would have just kept on walking this post would have never been made.
    Seriously? That's just plain silly, IF someone insults you, there is nothing wrong with talking to them about it, If we just let everyone do as they please the world would be more messed up than it is now
    Jesus, what's wrong with people

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Seriously? That's just plain silly, IF someone insults you, there is nothing wrong with talking to them about it, If we just let everyone do as they please the world would be more messed up than it is now
    Jesus, what's wrong with people
    No there isn't. But the attitude I got from OP and from you is that you talk to them about it in a confrontational manner. Why bother with idiots.

If an ass is looking for a fight and you fail to give it to them then they lose. Why feed the troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    No there isn't. But the attitude I got from OP and from you is that you talk to them about it in a confrontational manner. Why bother with idiots.

If an ass is looking for a fight and you fail to give it to them then they lose. Why feed the troll.
    Ok, i really don't understand how the "attitude you got from me" is that i would talk to them in a confrontational manner, there really was nothing about what i said that would even insinuate that
    Yeh if you're gonna march upto them and start yelling for an apology then that's not gonna get anywhere fast lol, But i see nothing wrong in talking to someone if you feel they have wronged you^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Ok, i really don't understand how the "attitude you got from me" is that i would talk to them in a confrontational manner, there really was nothing about what i said that would even insinuate that
    Yeh if you're gonna march upto them and start yelling for an apology then that's not gonna get anywhere fast lol, But i see nothing wrong in talking to someone if you feel they have wronged you^_^
    lol I don't know why either. I just got a confrontational feeling. Something about text over the net conveying full emotional states...

Sure there is nothing wrong with telling someone they have insulted you. My problem is, as has been pointed out, the guy doing the insulting was probably looking for a fight. It's not that hard to tell when someone is trying to start something...especially when they are drunk. In that case the best thing you could do would be to ignore the fight seeking drunk. If someone is looking to rumble nothing you say is going to make them apologize.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol I don't know why either. I just got a confrontational feeling. Something about text over the net conveying full emotional states...

Sure there is nothing wrong with telling someone they have insulted you. My problem is, as has been pointed out, the guy doing the insulting was probably looking for a fight. It's not that hard to tell when someone is trying to start something...especially when they are drunk. In that case the best thing you could do would be to ignore the fight seeking drunk. If someone is looking to rumble nothing you say is going to make them apologize.
    Yeh that's quite true actually, Not much point in responding if they're drunk unless they are physically stopping you from going about your actions

Quote Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
    You got it in the wrong order, he "asked" (I get the feeling that he threatened, but I wasn't there) the other guy to apologize, and THEN the other guy threw a punch, he didn't attempt to throw a punch BEFORE he was "asked" to apologize. I think it's safe to conclude here that the OP said something that aggravated the other party. Regardless, whatever the OP thinks, walking away would have been the best option and based on the fact that the other guy didn't do anything until AFTER he was talked to is evidence that he was never going to do anything in the first place.

Of course, then again, we weren't there, so we're really only hearing one side and we can't even be positive his side is correct.
    He probably acted like that cus his friend were there and he was drunk and trying to show off

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 01:21 PM ----------

I'm just wondering now if the cop is going to put it in, it's been 3 days and still not in the system. I did ask him what I could of done different to not be in this situation and he said " I have black friends to I would of done the same"