Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm playing desto aswell, and enjoying it ALOT more than Affliction which is the most boring spec ever made in my honest opinion.
    I'm so lucky that I don't have the time to raid in a guild anymore, so I'm just having fun DPS'ing as Destro in LFR.

OT:
    If you going Affliction would make your guild kill whatever boss you are stuck on, I would say they are right in benching you, if you refuse to do so.
    BUT - If they are benching you, and you are doing fine DPS compared to the other DPS' in the raid, and you have no problem killing stuff, I would say, that they seem like some jerks.

Summary:
    If your spec is holding back your guild, then go Affliction.
    If not, then they seem like some jerks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    Assuming he is equally skilled at both specs. If he sucks at his main spec, he will be even worse with an off-spec.
    Personally affliction feels like it has a far higher initial skill requirement than the other two specs. My demo properly reforged will notably out dps my destro properly reforged and I reforge and try affliction and I suck with it so far this expansion. I used to be able to swap between all three for the past few expansions and play near optimal, there is something that isnt clicking in my head with affliction.

I still out DPS half the better geared Affliction warlocks I see as Demo and still got mostly blues with most players out there decked in epics from dailies and LFR, leaving not much comparison with equally geared players.

Quote Originally Posted by Baenesur View Post
    I'm playing desto aswell, and enjoying it ALOT more than Affliction which is the most boring spec ever made in my honest opinion.
    For myself destro is the most boring with affliction just feeling clunky from someone who liked affliction when you had immolate and siphon life to manage, and I hate MG. I prefer casting SB, not feeling like a shadowpriest and even further more having so much DPS tied into the use of MG which makes a far bigger DPS impact if you decide to drain life to help healers.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2012-11-24 at 08:33 PM.

While this may be the blizzard era of "bring the person not the class" that doesn't exempt anyone from playing sub par specs or having bad attitudes about it. To the OP I say simply you must be flexible in raids. If you want to play destro all the time, regardless of what is better dps, then you need to form your own raid. If you dont' want the pressures of forming and leading your own raid then you need to bring what your raid wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    I perform a hundred times better as demonology than as when I'd try to play affliction.

I blame this on the fact that I used to be in a world top guild for many years where I played a fire mage, and ... I think this made me understand demonology mechanics a lot better than heavily depending on DoTs for DPS instead. It doesn't matter how I reforge or how hard I try my best... I simply got demonology in my fingers. It's why my own raidguild lets me play demo too. I constantly get ranked with it as well, while as affliction I suck balls ... complete balls.

And yes, I do raid in a guild that is very focussed on heroic progress. My guild leadership is actually very aggresive in their recruitment and pushing people to do their best. We constantly recruit people of all classes and give them a go in different raids to see if they outperform our usual raidmembers or not. If they do ... it usually means that someone isn't going to be raiding a lot anymore. There is the constant pressure for our raiders to keep performing their best or risk getting replaced, and so far... not a single affliction warlock has been able to impress them more than I do in demonology.
    I totally agree with this person! The perspective most individuals are taking is that "affliction is number one, in order to be number one I have to raid with that spec" Totally not the case in my own personal experience, but I do agree that certain fights are more suitable for a certain spec. Currently I raid as destruction on majority of the fights, and affliction for the heavy movement fights. I've played affliction my full WoW career in top raiding guilds on Illidan. For the life of me as affliction on low movement fights with adds or not, can I get even close to what I pull as destruction. I will keep simcrafting and spending thousands of gold trying but I just can't do it!
    @the op - If you feel the need to get some what closure on your thread, I would suggest posting world of logs. I feel the same way as majority on this issue to say you were probably not pulling your weight as destruction compared to your counterparts in the guild so they let go the weakest link.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    Dunno if he compared Destro to DPS'ing as Holy I think he's still really that clueless.
    Okay I'll say it slower for you. If there is a spec that performs better than your current one for the role you want to play, you cannot and should not pitch a fit when people expect you to be that spec unless the difference is a matter of light and day (ie: Enhance vs Elemental shaman). If you are playing an inferior spec, you are creating slack for others to pick up, which is unfair to those people, and the needs of 24 (or nine) outweigh the wistful desires of one.

Deleted
    Okay I'll say it slower for you. If there is a spec that performs better than your current one for the role you want to play, you cannot and should not pitch a fit when people expect you to be that spec unless the difference is a matter of light and day (ie: Enhance vs Elemental shaman). If you are playing an inferior spec, you are creating slack for others to pick up, which is unfair to those people, and the needs of 24 (or nine) outweigh the wistful desires of one.
    Yeah, you should force yourself to play a spec you don't like and at which you are probably worse, because it is theorically superior on the Simcraft patchwerk simulations. Happy playing !

What is the point of spending three hours doing something you don't like ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zumzumzum View Post
    Yeah, you should force yourself to play a spec you don't like and at which you are probably worse, because it is theorically superior on the Simcraft patchwerk simulations. Happy playing !

I really don't think the game changes that drastically depending on if you wait for a Molten Core Proc vs a Nightfall proc to press 1. It's still the role you enjoy, it's still the game and the content you enjoy, the colors that pop up on your screen are just different and you're overall more successful at the game. If he's that determined to play Destro then he should go to LFR where he won't be a burden to his group.

Deleted
    But why would he be better as affliction ? Destro is more forgiving than Affli for a bad player, he would probably be even worse by switching.

But why would he be better as affliction ? Destro is more forgiving than Affli for a bad player, he would probably be even worse by switching.
    Then he should practice. Would you stay in a job making $8 an hour if you were offered a job that started at $7 but went up to $10 after a month?

Deleted

thats fine and all, but if the guild wants him to play as afflic, then you play as afflic or you find another guild. its that simple.

In order to kill a boss you need every dpser to do 60k dps.
    You do 40k dps and because of that your raid (9 or 24 others) can't kill boss.

a) replace the weakest link and continue having fun with the 9 or 24.
    b) stick with the weakest link and continue wiping with everyone.

You do the thinking good Sir.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

The fun comes from killing the boss and progressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    In order to kill a boss you need every dpser to do 60k dps.
    You do 40k dps and because of that your raid (9 or 24 others) can't kill boss.

a) replace the weakest link and continue having fun with the 9 or 24.
    b) stick with the weakest link and continue wiping with everyone.

You do the thinking good Sir.
    Yup. Been down this road, with a warlock even.

When we were going for Maloriak Heroic mode server first, we needed every bit of AOE DPS for the Oozes for his Black Phase. We had a warlock that, for whatever reason, refused to go Demonology. He wanted to be Destro, and REFUSED to respec Demonology. Yeah, C-ya bud. GTFO.

Server 2nd Maloriak kill after bringing in a warlock that would play the spec needed for a given fight. Hooray. Thanks, baddie warlock.

15+ Year Old Account
    What helps is when you join a guild, you directly state that your intention is to play x spec and you are not willing to change it to another. I've changed guilds twice during 8 years of wow, the first time on 60 and the last time being on pandaria release because of the death of my old guild, and both times I made it absolutly clear to the guild I applied to that I will not in a million years play as a discipline or shadowpriest, I will not play as something I do not like for a lot of hours a day. They accepted and have never been in fights about spec.

I've made one exception though and that was on HC Lich King25 tries, where you really needed a disc priest to shield the whole raid and this is a situation where I believe you must change spec; when you seriously hurt the raid / progress. (And there have been very, very few situations in the the lifespan of WoW like this.)

So if you do enough DPS and the raid always royally makes the enrage timers I don't see a problem but I doubt that is the case. (Yes royally, because even one wipe to an enrage will be of your unwillingness to respec and you are making your teammates wipe). You are talking like your dps is below 45~k which I find the unofficial breaking point for dropping someone imo, since by then the loss in DPS gives everyone else a way harder job by prolonging the bossfight by 2minutes.

---------- Post added 2012-11-24 at 11:38 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by eilonna View Post
    Then he should practice. Would you stay in a job making $8 an hour if you were offered a job that started at $7 but went up to $10 after a month?
    If that 10$ job involved being miserable for 6 hours a day then yes, I would stay in a job making 8$ an hour.

Deleted
    Yup. Been down this road, with a warlock even.

When we were going for Maloriak Heroic mode server first, we needed every bit of AOE DPS for the Oozes for his Black Phase. We had a warlock that, for whatever reason, refused to go Demonology. He wanted to be Destro, and REFUSED to respec Demonology. Yeah, C-ya bud. GTFO.

Server 2nd Maloriak kill after bringing in a warlock that would play the spec needed for a given fight. Hooray. Thanks, baddie warlock.
    10 or 25 ?
    If 25, then he probably wasn't the only reason you would wipe.
    If 10, Destro was on par with Demonology.
    Last edited by mmoc8b57eca00f; 2012-11-24 at 10:47 PM.

Not allowing someone play a spec that is perfectly viable in a casual guild that according to OP haven't even killed 2nd boss in a normal raid after couple of weeks is laughable. I have no idea how you can defend someone getting kicked from a guild on that level if he's able to perform with the spec. As pointed out before in this thread the problem was most likely somewhere else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    So you're doing shit DPS, you know you do, yet you don't want to swap speccs that will increase your DPS cause you are fine on enrage timers? I see no reason why this raid should carry you? Casual does not mean that you are allowed to be bad and drag down your raid. I see no problem with what has happend to you.
    What this guy said RIGHT AT START OF THREAD. No need for more discussion. Please don't make threads about things like this, if you don't get it, rtfm. Being as nice as I can.

playing bad makes you bad, not respecing cause it's this weeks fotm does not make you bad

If you were lowest dps and they took someone else that does more... then its understandable. If on the other hand you were doing as much as the others then they're just stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khargol View Post
    While this may be the blizzard era of "bring the person not the class" that doesn't exempt anyone from playing sub par specs or having bad attitudes about it. To the OP I say simply you must be flexible in raids. If you want to play destro all the time, regardless of what is better dps, then you need to form your own raid. If you dont' want the pressures of forming and leading your own raid then you need to bring what your raid wants.
    Actually, this is probably a perfect example of bringing the person and not the class. They swapped him for someone else (possibly of a different class) because they preferred a different person who was more willing to do what the raid leaders asked.