I need Galaron affliction advice D:

My lock is MCspork of illidan us

I have been on galaron10 without any success. I seem to be consistently pulling around 80k dps. I am running from leg to leg(only the back 2 and his front right, we kite clockwise) dpsing and multi dotting when possible. I am not currently in the pheromone rotation. I am gemmed for max int while mixing in socet bonuses. I reforged to the 4198 breakaway and hit cap using wowreforge. I watch carefully for int procs with power auras and only refresh dots during the best panedmic window of time and int/haste procs. I sac pet for gal. also, our raids have full synergy.

I have watched videos of afflic locs on gal 10 and i just dont get it. i dont know how im doing so little dps. Please give me your experience or your advice. thank you very much.

-MC

I don't know it's very straightforward.

- Keep all dots on boss
    - Run under legs and follow with KJC if needed (the passive effect)
    - Multidot legs that are not in reach for other players
    - Channel boss if you can't stand under leg

In 10-man heroic there's no real impressive logs from any Affli locks but I guess everyone's running with pheromones. I pulled 111k this week with a far from perfect kill from my PoV.

With your gear I think it's hard to pull that much more if you're not cheesing legs, which you shouldn't be doing since other classes get more out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonkura View Post
    I don't know it's very straightforward.

- Keep all dots on boss
    - Run under legs and follow with KJC if needed (the passive effect)
    - Multidot legs that are not in reach for other players
    - Channel boss if you can't stand under leg

In 10-man heroic there's no real impressive logs from any Affli locks but I guess everyone's running with pheromones. I pulled 111k this week with a far from perfect kill from my PoV.

With your gear I think it's hard to pull that much more if you're not cheesing legs, which you shouldn't be doing since other classes get more out of it.
    In 10 man heroic you need 8 people to kite, and if you have any melee whatsoever pretty much means you can expect to kite.

I stay on the boss and dot legs as they come up, try and get one or two DS ticks off on the legs as they die. I never run to a leg unless it's like 2 steps away.

You can soul swap from leg to leg as they spawn unless it respawns the same leg as that just died, so I do that. If it's the same leg and a dot or 2 needs refreshing on the boss I use the soul-swap to do that. If nothing needs refreshing you can just cancelaura the exhale.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    In 10 man heroic you need 8 people to kite, and if you have any melee whatsoever pretty much means you can expect to kite.
    You can do it with 7 if everyone take 17-18 stacks, but not like we'll get away from it with KJC and everything.

If nothing needs refreshing you can just cancelaura the exhale.
    I had no idea you can cancel it lol the amount of times I've tried SB:SS during GCD and just inhaled a normal SS to follow it up with hardcasting all dots back. Details like this shows that I rerolled to Lock right before MoP. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    If nothing needs refreshing you can just cancelaura the exhale.
    Oh my god, you just blew my mind. I had no idea this was possible.

What increased my damage on this boss was realizing that the 100% increased damage only counts for the leg you're sitting next to. Don't multidot other legs until you get under them. At the start of the fight DoT up Garalon then run under the first leg and throw out SB:SS. Run to the next leg and do the same. Optionally, run to a third leg and do it again while finally following it up with a MG on the leg you're next do all the while keeping DoTs up on Garalon.

You can do it with 7 if everyone take 17-18 stacks, but not like we'll get away from it with KJC and everything.

I had no idea you can cancel it lol the amount of times I've tried SB:SS during GCD and just inhaled a normal SS to follow it up with hardcasting all dots back. Details like this shows that I rerolled to Lock right before MoP. ^^;
    I did too (From spriest) but one day I just noticed that it was a buff and tried to cancelaura it and it worked :P

Also we were 2 healing heroic because we needed the extra damage. 18 stacks is way too much required healing for 2 healers to deal with :P

Quote Originally Posted by Tomed View Post
    What increased my damage on this boss was realizing that the 100% increased damage only counts for the leg you're sitting next to. Don't multidot other legs until you get under them. At the start of the fight DoT up Garalon then run under the first leg and throw out SB:SS. Run to the next leg and do the same. Optionally, run to a third leg and do it again while finally following it up with a MG on the leg you're next do all the while keeping DoTs up on Garalon.
    You have to keep standing under the legs for your dots to do the extra damage. You can't just run around and dot shit up from under the legs and get the damage boost when you move outside.

You have to keep standing under the legs for your dots to do the extra damage. You can't just run around and dot shit up from under the legs and get the damage boost when you move outside.
    This is not true.
    http://wowupgrade.com/ - instant gear comparison for all classes / specs

I've tested it so either it's buggy or it has been fixed since first week.

I wasn't aware that your dots wouldn't do increased damage after you left the weak point circle and I have therefore been running through one leg while dotting it up and then run to the next leg that I stood beneath and nuked. I checked the logs from last Wednesday and it does indeed seem like the first leg did not get the damage increase from Weak Points.

This is kind of annoying because this means there is no way for us to know how and when our dots update on damage modifiers without testing it out first. Generally our dots have used to save modifiers on ourself upon cast and update on modifiers on the target on each tick, however with with Weak Points being a debuff on us and dots being updated on tick instead of cast, this rule is now invalidated. Make sure to watch your dots in the future, it seems that it might now start updating dynamically on self modifiers at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I wasn't aware that your dots wouldn't do increased damage after you left the weak point circle and I have therefore been running through one leg while dotting it up and then run to the next leg that I stood beneath and nuked. I checked the logs from last Wednesday and it does indeed seem like the first leg did not get the damage increase from Weak Points.

This is kind of annoying because this means there is no way for us to know how and when our dots update on damage modifiers without testing it out first. Generally our dots have used to save modifiers on ourself upon cast and update on modifiers on the target on each tick, however with with Weak Points being a debuff on us and dots being updated on tick instead of cast, this rule is now invalidated. Make sure to watch your dots in the future, it seems that it might now start updating dynamically on self modifiers at any time.
    I believe that debuffs on your character have always updated on a per-tick basis. There's just rarely a damage buff that comes as a debuff no one really notices when they're playing.

#showcooldown Soul Swap
    /castsequence reset=2/target Soulburn,a
    /castsequence reset=2/target Soul Swap,a

So that never happens to u again . 1 spammable button.

As far as maximizing raid damage goes. Stay on the boss after you break the legs initially. Keep dots on the boss and one high health leg. Multi dotting quickly loses its effectiveness with more than 2 targets especially if you're running sacrifice since you spend all your time putting up dots and not much time malefic grasping. This will allow the melee to do more damage as well since the legs stay up longer. Just focus on kiting really smoothly and keeping max dps on the boss and one leg. It's really up to the melee from there.

If for some reason you aren't kiting and you are put in charge of killing legs you might want to consider demo. Bursts and cleaves are best when you get to be in the weak spots.
    Last edited by Zmaniac17; 2012-11-25 at 11:14 PM.

that macro i put in doesn't seem to work but i might be doing it wrong.

whats best way to avoid removing the dots intended?

Quote Originally Posted by dreaderus View Post
    that macro i put in doesn't seem to work but i might be doing it wrong.

whats best way to avoid removing the dots intended?
    Just copy paste it. It definitely works. The idea is that because it's a cast sequence broken with the ,a it won't continue to use up all your shards when you press it multiple times. Likewise for the soul swap it won't use it again after you've used it once because of the broken cast sequence. It will cast again though if you wait 2 seconds or switch targets. And if for some reason it doesn't swap on the first try, say the target is out of los or something, you can keep pressing it to keep it from resetting until it can hit the target.

Deleted
    Speaking of macros, what macro works to target boss? "/target Garalon" will target Garalon's leg which is annoying. Is there a /target boss1 or boss2 macro?

Quote Originally Posted by Leia View Post
    Speaking of macros, what macro works to target boss? "/target Garalon" will target Garalon's leg which is annoying. Is there a /target boss1 or boss2 macro?
    "/targetexact Garalon" maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridcully View Post
    "/targetexact Garalon" maybe?
    /target [@boss5,exists][]

I believe garalon is boss 5. The macro targets boss5 if it exists, and otherwise targets your target.

Quote Originally Posted by Leia View Post
    Ok so I went through multiple methods for this until I found one that I liked. The legs are 1-4 and boss is 5. But that ended up being to inefficient and time consuming to cast on the legs plus it took extra key binds which I didn't really have.

So here's what I ended up doing.

/cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead][] Corruption

I made this for agony, ua and corruption. And I installed shadowed unit frames so I could adjust my boss frames/debuffs to a nice size and location. Basically this macro replaces your normal corruption/ua/agony keys and you can simply mouseover a boss frame and cast your dots. If you want to cast on your target just don't mouseover anything.

pic of my shadowed unit frames setup.
    http://tinypic.com/r/xg70z/6
    Last edited by Zmaniac17; 2012-11-26 at 11:42 PM.