Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I've now excercised from late august to late november. I've gone from 58kg to 66kg without really caring for waht i've eaten, i've jsut eaten more since i was more hungry. Is it time for me to really start caring aobut what i eat if i want to increase it further? or can i just go on and consume cola, chips and ordinary food as i like?

Yes you must eat well to go further. Drink lots of water, and replace high fat food like chips by vegetables and low fat meat like turkey.

Deleted
    If you wanna get big muscles (show off) then you gonna lift heavy weights a few times.

If you wanna get strong muscles then you lift lighter weights but more times.

99% of that weight gain is fat. Building muscle takes a long time to notice a notable gain in weight from it.

Yes you can eat junk and get bigger but it is not the best way. There are plenty of *clean* bulking methods out there depending on how serious you want to take it. Eating more will help you get bigger but it doesn't mean your muscles are increasing.

I have been working out consistently for nearly a near now, nothing serious and Iv gained around 15lbs and I'm sure most of that is not muscle and will drop off easily when I start cutting (dieting to get rid of body fat % etc)

Quote Originally Posted by PiOchagnon View Post
    Yes you must eat well to go further. Drink lots of water, and replace high fat food like chips by vegetables and low fat meat like turkey.
    I do drink a lot of water and i love vegetables. What i meant to ask is that maybe the cola and the chips are slowing me down?

What in the hell is bro-science?

Anyhow - OP you have very good advice here,
    Building bulk - heavy weights, less reps
    Toning muscle (getting strong, but not huge) - lighter weights, more reps.
    I like to say it's Arnold vs. Bruce Lee

Diet is super important - watching carb and protein intake and eating at the appropriate time for your session.

Quote Originally Posted by warpath2k View Post
    99% of that weight gain is fat. Building muscle takes a long time to notice a notable gain in weight from it.

Yes you can eat junk and get bigger but it is not the best way. There are plenty of *clean* bulking methods out there depending on how serious you want to take it. Eating more will help you get bigger but it doesn't mean your muscles are increasing.

I have been working out consistently for nearly a near now, nothing serious and Iv gained around 15lbs and I'm sure most of that is not muscle and will drop off easily when I start cutting (dieting to get rid of body fat % etc)
    8kilograms of fat? I would believe you if i didn't still see my ribs. I've also increased the weight I'm lifting since i started by a lot. Bench went from 30kg to 55kg. Legpress from 70kg to 110kg.
    Last edited by mittacc; 2012-11-25 at 08:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    How old are you mittacc? Sorry i you already posted your age, i couldn't find it.

Quote Originally Posted by larrakeyah View Post
    How old are you mittacc? Sorry i you already posted your age, i couldn't find it.
    I'm 16, turning 17 in january

Quote Originally Posted by salamala View Post

Diet is super important - watching carb and protein intake and eating at the appropriate time for your session.
    exactly this, and nothing else anyone has posted thus far
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    8kilograms of fat? I would believe you if i didn't still see my ribs. I've also increased the weight I'm lifting since i started by a lot. Bench went from 30kg to 55kg. Legpress from 70kg to 110kg.
    Nevertheless, dont pig bulk.
    Eat max 500 above maintenance or you will gain unwanted fat that will take longer to cut for you.
    Good luck on your continued Bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by salamala View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    exactly this, and nothing else anyone has posted thus far

No. Just no.

Toning = losing body fat.
    Building Bulk = gaining size. You eat. A lot. Stay at a caloric surplus and eat adequate amounts of protein and follow a lifting routine. You can train for strength or size- either way progressive overload to your muscles (basically increasing strain on muscles by upping weight/repetitions) will cause you to grow.. IF you eat enough.

90% of the time people don't grow is you aren't eating enough.

But god darn when I hear people talking about toning my body hurts.
    Gaming Youtube Channel :
    Monk Guides
    Diablo 3
    Skyrim

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baenesur View Post
    If you wanna get big muscles (show off) then you gonna lift heavy weights a few times.

If you wanna get strong muscles then you lift lighter weights but more times.
    STOOOOOOOOOP!!!!

Strong = high weight, 2-6 reps
    Big = medium weight, 8-15 reps
    Lean = low weight, 15+ reps

Not set in stone but a rough guide. Research suggests that hypertrophy (bodybuilder's primary aim) occurs predominately beyond the 6 rep range. Most, if not all decent strength programs advocate working out in the 1-5 rep range with heavy, heavy weights.

Strong and Big do not go hand in hand. Power and strength have virtually nothing to do with size, which is why 18 year old girls like this can throw 120kg+ above their heads whilst still looking like a completely normal 18 year old and also weighing in at under 58kgs.

I'm 16, turning 17 in january
    I'm not the biggest phys. fitness buff, but I remember my gym teacher saying how you shouldn't go to crazy on body building when you're young because it can screw up your body's growth. If I were you I'd just go easy on things until you're past puberty, then start to ramp things up.

Compound lifts, full body 3 times a week. 6-10 reps (increase by one a week). At 11 reps increase weight and go to 6 reps.

Hire a PT to perfect your form (only needed one every month or months). Don't risk your knees/back.

In around 3 months you have not gained 8 Kg of muscle I can gurantee that. You will be noticing gains just from eating more and working out more. But youl find when you cut and cut out things from you diet like for a show you will lift less and less weight where your body isn't getting the food it needs but you are stronger then where you were when you were bulking.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    I'm not the biggest phys. fitness buff, but I remember my gym teacher saying how you shouldn't go to crazy on body building when you're young because it can screw up your body's growth. If I were you I'd just go easy on things until you're past puberty, then start to ramp things up.
    This is a false myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    i'm going to the gym 3 times a week for 1-1 1/2 hour each time. Most people i know do a lot more :P

Deleted
    i'm going to the gym 3 times a week for 1-1 1/2 hour each time. Most people i know do a lot more :P
    Its a myth, dont worry about it.

Deleted
    Harzaka is right it's a myth. Was banded around when I Was a teenager that lifting weights bent your bones and did all-sorts of other miscellaneous stupid shit. Conveniently ignoring the fact that we lift weights our whole lives. The only difference being - in the real world weights are shaped like logs, dishwashers, boxes, tools, each other, dirt, sand-bags, book-cases and toys and in gyms they look like 2 weights on either end of a bar.

Ironically, going to a gym and lifting weights and doing functional exercise from a young age will actually help your body not damage it - because you'd be learning how to lift weights correctly, have good posture, form and the muscular and skeletal preparedness to actually lift heavy stuff.

Crazy aint it!