Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Doing 1-3 rep max lifts and making noise.

Whenever I do a 1-3 rep max back squat I always make loud noise in the gym. People complain (people being old people / cardio bunnies / curlbros) about the loud noise. Gym owner doesn't care but he said for me to cut it out cus he doesn't want to lose business over it.

Im considering buying a squat/power rack for home so I can do my heavy squats at home and everything else at the gym (I'd seriously buy a squat rack for home if it meant I could yell) But I still prefer going to the gym over home...I just do better in the gym.

The thing is I don't make noise when doing heavy deadlifts or presses/bench..it's just with my squatting.

This is what I get for being in the 1% of people in the gym who actually brings the intensity and pushes them-self to the limit...while 99% of people are just casually wasting time doing pointless crap and complaining anytime someone makes a little noise.

(FYI: my gym isn't a franchise gym...it's just a 1 off gym owned by some guy....this isn't a planet fitness shitty gym where people act like its a library)

You can still bring intensity without yelling or disturbing other people, tbh you sound like one of those people I very much hate when Im at gym, nothing personal but the noise is quite annoying and rather unnecessary.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Chances are if you're screaming your head off while doing squats, you aren't maintaining a proper block with your breathing and your form is coming apart.

Yeah I hate people that yell and scream. Maybe control your breathing better, IDK.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    You can still bring intensity without yelling or disturbing other people, tbh you sound like one of those people I very much hate when Im at gym, nothing personal but the noise is quite annoying and rather unnecessary.
    Erm, doing 1-3 rep sets implies that you're lifting as much as you physically can once or upto 3 times. To lift something once means to lift something that is literally on the limit of your physical capabilities. If lifting your 1rep max doesn't cause you to pull stupid faces, grunt, exhale violently or make some sort of noise then you're not lifting enough weight. Go back to planet fitness.

OP, my opinion is go find a proper gym run and visited by people that know why they are there and know what they're doing. Any gym that has more running machines than squat racks isn't a gym worth visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sussex View Post
    Gym owner doesn't care but he said for me to cut it out cus he doesn't want to lose business over it.
    So he does care.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmeh View Post
    So he does care.
    My thoughts exactly.

Also, was there a question in there, or were you just making a statement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Erm, doing 1-3 rep sets implies that you're lifting as much as you physically can once or upto 3 times. To lift something once means to lift something that is literally on the limit of your physical capabilities. If lifting your 1rep max doesn't cause you to pull stupid faces, grunt, exhale violently or make some sort of noise then you're not lifting enough weight. Go back to planet fitness.

OP, my opinion is go find a proper gym run and visited by people that know why they are there and know what they're doing. Any gym that has more running machines than squat racks isn't a gym worth visiting.
    Making a little noise? Screaming at the top of your lungs isn't needed. I lift heavy weight and while yes, you're going to grit your teeth and make some noise to struggle through it, you don't need to scream at the top of your bloody lungs. It's not going to make you lift if any better, so shut the hell up. It's annoying and you can see why people complain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Making a little noise? Screaming at the top of your lungs isn't needed. I lift heavy weight and while yes, you're going to grit your teeth and make some noise to struggle through it, you don't need to scream at the top of your bloody lungs. It's not going to make you lift if any better, so shut the hell up. It's annoying and you can see why people complain.
    I don't think anyone said they wish they could scream at the top of their lungs. My advice to the OP was clear, and still is - there's 2 types of gyms: those that are owned and staffed by people that are serious about their fitness and those that are run and staffed by people that are serious about making everyone feel welcome.

I have always actively searched for the former - precisely because they allow olympic lifting, shouting, swearing, dropping weights and general lunkish behaviour and interestingly enough their client base is, on the whole, the fitter/stronger of the 2 gym models I illustrated above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_QPjFKqUF8

10+ Year Old Account
    It's funny you have names for all the other people, cause at my gym people call guys like you lil smokies. I don't get why people feel the only way to validate themselves is to act like everything besides what they do is stupid or pointless.

Personally people making noise at the gym doesn't bother me, but if you are being really loud then I can understand people not wanting to hear it. Imagine if you were eating at a restaurant and the guy next to you yelled out "MMMMMMMMMMMM" really loud every time he took a bite of his burger. Would prolly annoy the shit out of you, but telling the guy to quiet down doesn't mean you are acting like the restaurant is a library.
    “The Jedi…the Sith…you don’t get it, do you? To the galaxy, they’re the same thing; just men and women with too much power, squabbling over religion, while the rest of us burn.”-Atton Rand

Whenever I do a 1-3 rep max back squat I always make loud noise in the gym. People complain (people being old people / cardio bunnies / curlbros) about the loud noise. Gym owner doesn't care but he said for me to cut it out cus he doesn't want to lose business over it.

Im considering buying a squat/power rack for home so I can do my heavy squats at home and everything else at the gym (I'd seriously buy a squat rack for home if it meant I could yell) But I still prefer going to the gym over home...I just do better in the gym.

The thing is I don't make noise when doing heavy deadlifts or presses/bench..it's just with my squatting.

This is what I get for being in the 1% of people in the gym who actually brings the intensity and pushes them-self to the limit...while 99% of people are just casually wasting time doing pointless crap and complaining anytime someone makes a little noise.

(FYI: my gym isn't a franchise gym...it's just a 1 off gym owned by some guy....this isn't a planet fitness shitty gym where people act like its a library)
    Learn to control yourself. You arent making "a little" noise. You are making "loud noise," noise sufficient to piss off other gym goers. You do not need to make a significant amount of noise to get the increase in intrabdominal pressure. In fact, you really dont need to make any noise if you train yourself to breathe properly and learn how to increase pressure without noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xFm...feature=fvwrel

That amount of noise is acceptable. More than that is just ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post

True, i think he should try to explain that to the people that complain, and maybe they will understand, also he can say the same to the manager and i'm pretty sure the manager will understand (or already know that)

Whenever I do a 1-3 rep max back squat I always make loud noise in the gym
    This is what I get for being in the 1% of people in the gym who actually brings the intensity and pushes them-self to the limit
    1-3 reps of your max isnt really pushing yourself to the limit. l2lift bro.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wargon View Post
    Imagine if you were eating at a restaurant and the guy next to you yelled out "MMMMMMMMMMMM" really loud every time he took a bite of his burger. Would prolly annoy the shit out of you, but telling the guy to quiet down doesn't mean you are acting like the restaurant is a library.
    I laughed, thank you.

pretty much explains what yelling means when at the gym

1 guy pisses off multiple people - the only business he'll lose is yours when he kicks YOUR ass to the kerb for annoying everyone in the gym by being loud! I get that it's maximum effort, but that doesn't always equate to a license to be loud, there's the understanding you will make a little noise, but if it's sufficient enough to warrant complaints it's far more than a little!

Also lets be fair, "people being old people / cardio bunnies / curlbros" that makes you sound like someone who is condescending and a bit of a cunt, where I come from they're called "guys/girls who are paying the same money as you to use the gym" and they're every bit as important & good as you are.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha yea... I know those.. thankfully I have my own stuff now and don't have to go to gyms anymore. When someone yells, it's definitely on purpose and they want to be seen doing whatever it is they think is awesome. Sure, there are things that can be tough and cause an *oomph*, but nothing warrants yelling. That's just goofy.
    Professional's Guide to: Upgrading Your Computer
    Quote Originally Posted by OperationFerret View Post
    Legion PvP is so bad that Holinka is handing out titles for watching the arena championships.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I read the thread title and the subject and I honestly thought you were talking about farting under exertion, with the noise being loud enough to turn peopel off/dry reach and the farts being rank enough to lose business over. I thought to myself...yeah protein shakes will do that to you. Then I saw the little bit in brackets about yelling. I don't think screaming is necessary, since you are not the only person at that gym and have to take other people into consideration.

Deleted
    Oh for gods sake, you're in the gym to push yourself to the maximum limit - not there to enjoy the silence / music and perhaps get a little bit of sweat on your forehead.
    If you need to scream to be able to push that last bit, then scream goddamnit, scream like you've dropped a 30kg dumbbell on your foot!
    Seriously, mind your own businesses people, if you're taking in impressions from others in the room you're not concentrated enough. I've farted, I've screamed and I've made a shit ton of noise while working out - and others in my gym does the same. Do I give a crap? No, because it's normal when you're pushing yourself.

If you're just breathing loudly then I agree with everyone else: get a new gym. However, if you're actually making sounds with your vocal cords, stop that shit. It doesn't help and you're expending unnecessary energy on something unrelated to lifting.