State food aid cut off for going to college?

First time poster. I'm hoping this isn't a mistake, asking here.

I am on food assistance from the state, while trying to find work. As there are no jobs locally that I can get without experience or a college degree, I decided going to school was my best option. I was warned that going full time to college will cut off my food assistance from CT. Full time as determined by the college is four 3 credit courses in one semester. I thus only took three classes instead of four, as advised by my worker.

They are cutting my food assistance off anyway, because I'm going to college. Specifically, because I am a student in higher education, in spite of telling me in August I'd be fine.

Why? If I can't get work without school, but my only method of gaining food is to go to soup kitchens, beg from distant relatives, pray for donations from friends online, or rely on the state to pay for my food WITHOUT work, why are they penalizing me for trying to get an education to get a job? My only option outside of gaining an education is to go on welfare. Does the state WANT me to be a mooch on the system instead of being gainfully employed?

This is posted from a friend's house, as I can't afford internet in my home and thus don't have it. My replies thus may be sporadic, if there are responses.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'd check with the school, they may have a reduced cost/free meal plan, especially if you qualify for state assistance and are on I assume a scholarship.

Also, you can try to go back to the agency and hold whoever told you the first bit of information accountable, but it will be a lot of fighting for likely very little result.

Edit: If you went the loan route, you should be able to pay for the meal plan from your loan, especially if you can add it to your tuition bill. Also, if you did get a loan that is likely what affected the food stamps.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    that sucks man theyd this country would rather hand out free money to drug addicts and worhtless lazy people poping out 2 kids a year then help some one like you....i hope you get the help you need man
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    sometimes when im alone i like to cover myself in vaseline and pretend im a slug
    Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I like to glue my thumbs to my nipples and pretend I'm a T-Rex.

Unfortunately it's a community college, not a bigger residential one; they don't have food plans and aren't open 24/7. I'm hoping the state will call me back tomorrow, if not it's a long drive to their center so I can try to argue it in person. I shouldn't be punished for trying to get work.

I am on a scholarship, yeah. I can't get loans due to no cosigner and no work to pay it off, the scholarship paid for my classes and my books, which I'm very grateful for, but I just can't grasp why that would mean I suddenly don't need to eat in the eyes of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboard View Post
    Unfortunately it's a community college, not a bigger residential one; they don't have food plans and aren't open 24/7. I'm hoping the state will call me back tomorrow, if not it's a long drive to their center so I can try to argue it in person. I shouldn't be punished for trying to get work.

I am on a scholarship, yeah. I can't get loans due to no cosigner and no work to pay it off, the scholarship paid for my classes and my books, which I'm very grateful for, but I just can't grasp why that would mean I suddenly don't need to eat in the eyes of the state.
    I have heard this kind of story before. They cut people off for going into job training or a GED program. It seems like they build the system to keep you in it once your there.

I think they think that if you only go to school you can also get a part time job

The same thing happened to me, but it varies by state. In WA (where I live) will still give you food assistance if you are a college student if you work at least 20 hours a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I think they think that if you only go to school you can also get a part time job
    I'm trying to get a job. I really am. But nowhere is hiring in a roughly 20 mile radius without work experience or college education. Even the stinking McDonald's only wants experienced managers right now. My latest application was to a dairy farm shoveling cow doo, if that's any sign for how far I'm willing to go to get a job. But nothing yet.

So they'll pay me to sit around on my duff doing nothing, but not trying to get the qualifications to get the jobs that are everywhere locally. TONS of jobs that want experience or a degree, in most every field. But if you don't have that degree or experience, you can't get in. :/ I feel trapped.

You're presumably not here illegally, therefor getting benefits will be as much of a hassle for you as possible, and in the end you probably won't get shit, anyway.

Enter the country illegally next time, and the government subsidized world will be your oyster.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I'm trying to get a job. I really am. But nowhere is hiring in a roughly 20 mile radius without work experience or college education. Even the stinking McDonald's only wants experienced managers right now. My latest application was to a dairy farm shoveling cow doo, if that's any sign for how far I'm willing to go to get a job. But nothing yet.
    Sorry, I've never had any trouble getting a job so I can't relate

10+ Year Old Account
    I would have to open up my tax book to be certain but I'm pretty sure it's that scholarship that just boned you.

The state called back today. I lost food aid because I went to school part time or more, not because of scholarships. As there is no way for me to go less than part time, as even one class is part time, in order to eat I can't go for an education. In order to get food aid back, I need to submit proof that I'm not registered for next semester.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do not want welfare recipients paying for college. College is a money trap. Trade school, perhaps. College, nope.

The college lie is slowly getting exposed.

No idea wtf the world is going to do about jobs. Population keeps booming and all businesses try to do is find ways to hire less workers, make robots to do work, or outsource.

An economy based entirely on buying and selling useless goods and sevices is bound to fail.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 02:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Sorry, I've never had any trouble getting a job so I can't relate
    Then write a book about your secret to success, genius.
    Last edited by Roose; 2012-11-26 at 08:13 PM.
    I like sandwiches

First time poster. I'm hoping this isn't a mistake, asking here.

I am on food assistance from the state, while trying to find work. As there are no jobs locally that I can get without experience or a college degree, I decided going to school was my best option. I was warned that going full time to college will cut off my food assistance from CT. Full time as determined by the college is four 3 credit courses in one semester. I thus only took three classes instead of four, as advised by my worker.

They are cutting my food assistance off anyway, because I'm going to college. Specifically, because I am a student in higher education, in spite of telling me in August I'd be fine.

Why? If I can't get work without school, but my only method of gaining food is to go to soup kitchens, beg from distant relatives, pray for donations from friends online, or rely on the state to pay for my food WITHOUT work, why are they penalizing me for trying to get an education to get a job? My only option outside of gaining an education is to go on welfare. Does the state WANT me to be a mooch on the system instead of being gainfully employed?

This is posted from a friend's house, as I can't afford internet in my home and thus don't have it. My replies thus may be sporadic, if there are responses.
    Go full time. If you are poor and in college full time you will qualify for lots of free grants and scholarships. more than enough to pay for school, food & more.

And don't listen to that nonsense about college being a waste of time. Just make sure to go for a job in a high demand field, anything in health care, computer science, engineering chemistry ect. college is only a waste of time if you get a degree in arts & crafts or some obscure field with 5 total jobs in the world for that degree.
    Last edited by Khoranth; 2012-11-26 at 08:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The state called back today. I lost food aid because I went to school part time or more, not because of scholarships. As there is no way for me to go less than part time, as even one class is part time, in order to eat I can't go for an education. In order to get food aid back, I need to submit proof that I'm not registered for next semester.
    I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to obtain a better education and still afford food. I had to work 50+ hours while a full-time student to afford tuition and food... You mention in an earlier post that the McDonald's wasn't hiring anyone without a college degree for management. Does minimum wage not pay enough for food where you live or are they not hiring for lower than management? If you take a lower position, you might be able to get promoted to manager as your schooling progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelyn View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to obtain a better education and still afford food. I had to work 50+ hours while a full-time student to afford tuition and food... You mention in an earlier post that the McDonald's wasn't hiring anyone without a college degree for management. Does minimum wage not pay enough for food where you live or are they not hiring for lower than management? If you take a lower position, you might be able to get promoted to manager as your schooling progresses.
    As I posted elsewhere in the thread I'm looking for literally any job that will hire me. I'm not picky, the market is just horrific if you don't qualify for what they want. If I could get sixty miles to the south I'd be able to find work, but the car I have won't make that sort of commute and it's impossible to save up money to replace it. Minimum wage WOULD pay for meals, barely, but I'd need to be able to get that job and they're just not there. Or (which makes me sad for them) taken by retirees who can't live on their own retirement.

I'm going to be speaking to the college when I go in for classes tomorrow to see what can be done. Having that little piece of paper is vital in many work areas, I know it's not just a vortex of uselessness (I like art but I know better than to major in Fine Arts - no work there.), it's just.. not losing everything to do it. I'm hoping that the advisors there will know more about what my options are and can make recommendations. It just feels a bit hopeless right now, like the State designed things to be a trap to keep people in poverty.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I posted elsewhere in the thread I'm looking for literally any job that will hire me. I'm not picky, the market is just horrific if you don't qualify for what they want. If I could get sixty miles to the south I'd be able to find work, but the car I have won't make that sort of commute and it's impossible to save up money to replace it. Minimum wage WOULD pay for meals, barely, but I'd need to be able to get that job and they're just not there. Or (which makes me sad for them) taken by retirees who can't live on their own retirement.

I'm going to be speaking to the college when I go in for classes tomorrow to see what can be done. Having that little piece of paper is vital in many work areas, I know it's not just a vortex of uselessness (I like art but I know better than to major in Fine Arts - no work there.), it's just.. not losing everything to do it. I'm hoping that the advisors there will know more about what my options are and can make recommendations. It just feels a bit hopeless right now, like the State designed things to be a trap to keep people in poverty.
    Ah, did not mean to sound offending to you in my question. I really hope your situation changes and you can find a job that doesn't tax you too heavily to focus on your schooling.

It's really discouraging to see how much the state helps those not trying to help themselves and turns away those who are trying. Know that the majority of the online community supports you actions and hopes to encourage you to press on! :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asyra View Post
    In WA (where I live) will still give you food assistance if you are a college student if you work at least 20 hours a week.
    This is also the same in Oregon.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I don't see how you can afford to float the bill for school I get grants to pay for school and take out loans for room and board.

I had food stamps all through full-time graduate school. This was in Tennessee. You have to have a job to be on food stamps (I worked and went to school, which was exhausting) and make less than $1300 a month or some low number like that; they take into account loans, your bank account, and any expenses you have. Get a new agent at the social services place.