Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire buddhapunch09's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelliak View Post
    As of late and growing more so each and every expansion I have found myself enjoying WoW less and less. Mind you, I was playing this game 24/7 when it first hit several years ago and wasn't even raiding(nor attempting to raid for that matter) but found endless enjoyment in socializing/making a name for myself and for my guild/faction. I'd seriously prowl the realm forums just to see what people were saying about the night before in Hillsbrad--it was FUN being so connected to others in an online community. It added life to what would otherwise be a mundane experience.

Now, even with all of these new and neat features I kind of feel like it's all dead. I don't get that same tingling of pride nor do I enjoy my connections and friendships as I once did. The lack of necessity in befriending people, building that network, and spreading local communities to the four winds has essentially killed the experience for me that once drew me so much to WoW. Even the tedious work of building groups(which made guilds and friends all the more important) added a great deal to the game that Blizzard doesn't seem too interested in acknowledging these days.

It doesn't help that with all the technical upgrades, I'm still not seeing an upgrade to what I feel is the most important detail--your own avatar and its customization. I don't like the painfully generic templates you get and I definitely don't like the fact that even the one or two choices you DO like look terrible to much of the world(and NPCs) around it. So even trying to approach Warcraft as a more solo-orientated title with less emphasis on community, the inability to really make the character you want is dampening future prospects at this time. This continues well into the combat department. Don't get me started on the new trees. They're a step in the right direction but still severely lack imagination.

However, all that aside, I still have that nostalgia from years ago. Even though I quit MoP shortly after hitting 90 I have lingering feelings towards the franchise. Is anyone else getting this way? Am I bizarre for thinking like this or am I legit? All I ever wanted was a strong and enjoyable community in my MMO experience. If I can't get that, is it so much to ask for more personal and endearing identification with our beloved characters through not only improved visual options but more customized game-play so that the growing solo aspect has more weight to it?

I feel more at home on the latest CoD game than I do WoW. What's up with that?
    You obviously have not read the WoW loading screen tip: "Bring your friends to Azeroth, but don't forget to go outside Azeroth with them as well." Does blizzard have to do everything for you? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    The game is in the best state it has ever been. The problem lies with you OP.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    Just because you think the game is in the best state ever it doesn't mean it is. Everything is subjective, I can pretty much say the game is in it's worst state it's ever been in, and you like it so the problem lies with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    That is just an opinion. You can personally feel that way but you feeling that way does not make it true. Plus, even if it is in the best state it has ever been in, it doesn't mean everyone will have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhapunch09 View Post
    You obviously have not read the WoW loading screen tip: "Bring your friends to Azeroth, but don't forget to go outside Azeroth with them as well." Does blizzard have to do everything for you? lol
    I love wow. Back in Wrath days. Cata blah, but it was good. Wrath is the king.

Pandaria stupid. Pet battle system stupid, has nothing to do with the game. And the talent trees are the worst ever! I like my 43 point talent system from wrath. And armor penn there was nothing wrong with it then. Why they changed it idk. Sad stupid game now I haven't played and will never play.

WoW is missing key elements and creative drive that continues to make every content release feel more and more shallow. Blizzard's obsession with the proverbial "carrot on a stick" has blinded them to expanding their universe in more fundamental ways. Instead of giving life to the world and offering players more ways to express and interact with it, they just build up their ever-growing treadmill to greater heights. Often at the expense of what community they have left via the introduction of more streamlining services such as LFR and LFG.
    Well, you said it quite good yourself. Tiny bit options to customize characters aka talent trees was removed as also many other things (resistances, auras, keyring, etc.), so game eroded into some soulless gear treadmill, with MoP bringing it to new "heights" with bonus lottery tickets and dailies to unlock PvE vendors and introducing other gamebreaking features, which don't really improve game in any way (e.g., CRZ).

Instead of looking even at it's predecessor, EverQuest, to get fresh new ideas, WoW is trying to do everything in completely opposite way.

Tanks and healers have too low damage output? EverQuest introduced mercenaries. WoW introduced mandatory dailies (let's not derail thread here about how they are "optional", equip your blues and go fight Elegon normal with couple melee if you don't agree), so shield tanks and healers would feel even more miserable. EverQuest has AA, most of them make you to go through old content, Rift got a bit similar idea, in WoW it's always gear-treadmill, and each new tier makes everything else completely irrelevant.

Professions feel boring? EverQuest II offered professions as one of alternatives in progressing your chars. WoW? Aside from professions' passives, they are primitive and useless. World feels "empty" and unwanted? EQ introduced hotzones. WoW? Introduced CRZ... Old zones look inconvenient for new players? EQ introduced new leveling zones, leaving old world intact. WoW? Demolished all classic zones and most classic instances altogether...

WoW doesn't move anywhere good, and after reading some of blue posts, I can't really see any good perspective for the game. There is no hope for improvements unless current dev. team will get replaced. Can I say that I hate game? No. But I hate direction it decided to take starting from mid-Wrath, and then rapidly taking course in this downward direction in Cata and MoP. In MoP I am playing only due to couple friends, but I highly doubt that I will renew sub.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    No doubt it's easier and more friendly to catch up if you so desire. However, it's still a thing I really dislike. Catching up all the time when you haven't been playing for a while, either it be easy, or hard, it's not something for me.
    But really, what's the alternative? Given that xpacs increase the level cap and associated caps like professions and that PVE or PVP endgame content is affected by gear you'll always have to catch up if you choose to take time off.

10+ Year Old Account
    This ain't nostalgia or boredom. Since Wotlk , WoW lack of socializing is a problem for a lot of players. Tell me how much people you have added since in your friendlist ? Back in the day WoW has this ''Multiplayer'' side that we can't find anymore. They kinda ruin it all with the LFRaid and the LFDonjon.

People don't even talk to each other in groups now , even to says ''Hi''

I remember back in TBC my friendlist was full of people from my realm. People i group with to do heroic , raid or just group quest.

MMORPG ? No ! MSORPG ? Yes ! Massive Solo Online Roleplay Game.

I feel the same way, especially regarding the lack of community in the game. My husband and I are always going on about how much we miss the old days. I enjoyed vanilla and even BC but after that each expansion I would quit for a while and then come back because I would compare every other game to wow and find it lacking. Now all I do is dink around leveling alts and doing little solo projects to gain achievements

10+ Year Old Account
    As of late and growing more so each and every expansion I have found myself enjoying WoW less and less. Mind you, I was playing this game 24/7 when it first hit several years ago and wasn't even raiding(nor attempting to raid for that matter) but found endless enjoyment in socializing/making a name for myself and for my guild/faction. I'd seriously prowl the realm forums just to see what people were saying about the night before in Hillsbrad--it was FUN being so connected to others in an online community. It added life to what would otherwise be a mundane experience.

Now, even with all of these new and neat features I kind of feel like it's all dead. I don't get that same tingling of pride nor do I enjoy my connections and friendships as I once did. The lack of necessity in befriending people, building that network, and spreading local communities to the four winds has essentially killed the experience for me that once drew me so much to WoW. Even the tedious work of building groups(which made guilds and friends all the more important) added a great deal to the game that Blizzard doesn't seem too interested in acknowledging these days.

It doesn't help that with all the technical upgrades, I'm still not seeing an upgrade to what I feel is the most important detail--your own avatar and its customization. I don't like the painfully generic templates you get and I definitely don't like the fact that even the one or two choices you DO like look terrible to much of the world(and NPCs) around it. So even trying to approach Warcraft as a more solo-orientated title with less emphasis on community, the inability to really make the character you want is dampening future prospects at this time. This continues well into the combat department. Don't get me started on the new trees. They're a step in the right direction but still severely lack imagination.

However, all that aside, I still have that nostalgia from years ago. Even though I quit MoP shortly after hitting 90 I have lingering feelings towards the franchise. Is anyone else getting this way? Am I bizarre for thinking like this or am I legit? All I ever wanted was a strong and enjoyable community in my MMO experience. If I can't get that, is it so much to ask for more personal and endearing identification with our beloved characters through not only improved visual options but more customized game-play so that the growing solo aspect has more weight to it?

I feel more at home on the latest CoD game than I do WoW. What's up with that?
    Meh, you're just tired of the game. It happens. (: I was for a bit, gave myself time to leave and try other games, then I came back. I found a better guild, and I'm loving WoW more than ever. Personally, I played Minecraft for a week, then got bored, so it all comes down to personal taste. Just play what you enjoy!

---------- Post added 2012-11-25 at 11:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Malkazam View Post
    This ain't nostalgia or boredom. Since Wotlk , WoW lack of socializing is a problem for a lot of players. Tell me how much people you have added since in your friendlist ? Back in the day WoW has this ''Multiplayer'' side that we can't find anymore. They kinda ruin it all with the LFRaid and the LFDonjon.

People don't even talk to each other in groups now , even to says ''Hi''

I remember back in TBC my friendlist was full of people from my realm. People i group with to do heroic , raid or just group quest.

MMORPG ? No ! MSORPG ? Yes ! Massive Solo Online Roleplay Game.
    MMORPG ? No ! MSORPG ? Yes ! Massive Solo Online Roleplay Game.- I actually felt more like this in SW:tOR. Still a good game, though, and I enjoy playing both. And this expac, on my realm (Hydraxis) my guild will still actually go to dungeons, just for the feeling of getting out in the world.
    There has been an awakening... Have you felt it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    But really, what's the alternative? Given that xpacs increase the level cap and associated caps like professions and that PVE or PVP endgame content is affected by gear you'll always have to catch up if you choose to take time off.
    That was my point. I don't like when I take breaks, I have to catch up all again for not playing constantly. That is why I love MMO's like Guild Wars 2, where there is no gear treadmill, that increases in stats every month that I have to grind for. Instead of gear treadmill, I can do other things which I enjoy doing, without worrying being bad geared and my stats being so low I will get laughed at.

I still like World of Warcraft, and I didn't have much problem in the past with gear grind, but as the years pass, it's getting boring and tedious with the gear grind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    That was my point. I don't like when I take breaks, I have to catch up all again for not playing constantly. That is why I love MMO's like Guild Wars 2, where there is no gear treadmill, that increases in stats every month that I have to grind for. Instead of gear treadmill, I can do other things which I enjoy doing, without worrying being bad geared and my stats being so low I will get laughed at.

I still like World of Warcraft, and I didn't have much problem in the past with gear grind, but as the years pass, it's getting boring and tedious with the gear grind.
    The gear grind is even easier than it was before you are bored and tired of the game after playing for what? 7 years? its your fault not the game's. Move to guild wars and your problem is solved.

I personally dislike games like GW where i have nothing to work towards to, and apperantly ANet realized that with thier recent patch

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    The gear grind is even easier than it was before you are bored and tired of the game after playing for what? 7 years? its your fault not the game's. Move to guild wars and your problem is solved.

I personally dislike games like GW where i have nothing to work towards to, and apperantly ANet realized that with thier recent patch
    No, they realized they can't be extreme in their standings on not having the entire game being about "endgame". There has to be something there even if in small, controllable doses. If you see how they're executing it, the feature does little to harm anyone else ultimately except for those truly pushing to achieve in the PvE department.

Blizzard is different, they go in the extreme far to the other side of the spectrum. Their entire game is about the endgame essentially, hence why it feels like a never ending treadmill.

I agree with OP in that it was a more interesting game when it necessitated the peer to peer dynamic.

Now you can do almost anything without even saying a word to each other.
    You say that rated PVP and harder PVE content is there for that but unfortunately Blizz has provided a way to get most of the experience without coordination.

I've just recently started doing Challenge Modes with xrealm groups and have began that same networking myself and OP enjoy.
    Being that it's such a rare chance to assemble groups on your server this provides a way to culture these relationships.

It's far more interesting than showing up to a raid you really don't care about because you're not fighting for the chance to see the end anymore.

You might say that it's a minority opinion that this social networking is enjoyable but you fail to realize how powerful "convenience" is.

Deleted
    I like WoW. If I didn't I wouldn't be playing it. Simple as.

Deleted
    Well the old days ain't coming back.

Today's gamers are restless, impatient and looking for quick distractions nothing more. But I think it's still possible to find people who play the game for enjoyment and fun and having a great time with their buddies. It just takes longer to find them.

It's not really WoW's fault or MoP in particular. MoP is a great expansion that rivals BC and Wotlk. The problem is that people are tired of MMOs in general. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy WoW and find friends that do the same. I found that it's just a matter of the right mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by naranha View Post
    Well the old days ain't coming back.

Today's gamers are restless, impatient and looking for quick distractions nothing more. But I think it's still possible to find people who play the game for enjoyment and fun and having a great time with their buddies. It just takes longer to find them.

It's not really WoW's fault or MoP in particular. MoP is a great expansion that rivals BC and Wotlk. The problem is that people are tired of MMOs in general. But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy WoW and find friends that do the same. I found that it's just a matter of the right mindset.
    1) All my old buddies are basically gone or too flaky to really count on being there to build an experience around. I am not pulling in anyone that hasn't already subscribed or might have but have cancelled since. This game has a shrinking audience, not a growing one, and it has become less and less alluring over the years to skeptics. I wonder why...

2) I'm a younger man, mid-twenties and all that, I'm on the wrong side with that being the case--at least for my server. Alliance has proven to be often middle-aged folk, family people, and all that jazz. Horde tends to be more my age and it is well reflected in the differing personalities of the two factions. HOWEVER, it is costly to transfer(go-go gadget money-grabber!), what couple of friends I do have are Alliance obviously. Not to mention my heart belongs to this faction. It feels awkward being Horde.

Damn me for appreciating lore and having an attachment to the Humans. Granted going Blood Elf or Undead wouldn't be too far shy of that I suppose. I just don't want to fight "my own". Yes, I get that kind of mentality.

3) MoP is great in the sense it furthers the treadmill exponentially. It however fails to really bring anything beyond it. They've had many expansions now to evolve the game beyond just a mere emphasis on progression but it simply isn't happening.

I don't play MMO titles to get basically a larger experience of your basic online FPS these days. I play them to enjoy the world, interact with it, and have experiences unique to that universe. I want it to be more than me logging in, choosing a generic load-out, essentially looking like crap--like everyone else, and pushing my way through repetitive content with virtually no need for true social interaction. Like I said, I might as well play something that has more interesting game-play at least as many other titles in other genres offer a similar experience.
    Last edited by Rudol Von Stroheim; 2012-11-26 at 04:14 AM.

Content wise, the game has more than ever before (obviously). It, arguably, too, has better content than ever before. So, what is the problem? I'll tell you. It's the social part of MMORPG: the MMO part, as you mentioned OP. It is the community, but not in the sense that I see people talk about. Blizzard downgraded on how much social interaction goes on in WoW. From 40-man raiding, all the way down to 10-man raiding. Raiding guilds are getting smaller as a result of this. The chain reaction continues further and leads to the creation of more guilds (same amount of people + smaller guilds = more guilds). All this means is that your guild is no longer defined the way it used to be unless you compete for world firsts. Yes, your guild is smaller and people frequently come and go. There are less people to compete with from within your guild (boring) and more people to compete with outside of your guild (frustrating). Very bad combination if you ask me. This explains all of the hate for WoW in its current state. Bring back separate 10/25-man lockouts with different loot tables and the game will be revived.

The problem isn't the game, it's the community. Which quite frankly doesn't vary much from game to game. The MMO community has evoled/devolved to a point that is no longer compelling for you.

I don't want to call anyone out who says "the people who play the new exciting "game x" are just better people". Who knows, maybe that really is your experience. It hasn't been mine and from what I can tell, games aren't powerful enough to change people. That is to say, it's the same MMO crowd in each of these games. From my wow experience I was involved in a great community in BC. Most of those people left shortly after Wrath, then I got involved with another fun group of people in Wrath, whom most quit after Cata launched, and I've been involved with a 3rd bunch of great people since the first part of Cata until current. When I've logged on to any of the new MMO's that have been released in the last few years, it's the same. No one goes out of their way to make me feel welcome. There's not some vibrant "barrens chat" going on. It's the same as WoW. When I make the effort to meet people and make friends, I find very friendly people that are fun to play with.

That said...

I would suspect for older existing MMO's that have not grown in years, you will see a more stable community of people who all know each other. The only players left have likely been playing together for years & years. I would think in these established static sub MMO's you will find varied communities that may be more or less to your liking.

---------- Post added 2012-11-26 at 06:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phasma View Post
    Blizzard downgraded on how much social interaction goes on in WoW. From 40-man raiding, all the way down to 10-man raiding. Raiding guilds are getting smaller as a result of this. The chain reaction continues further and leads to the creation of more guilds (same amount of people + smaller guilds = more guilds).
    40 man raiding was done by the minority of players in Vanilla. So I don't suspect this has as big of an impact as you think. Even now with the very accessable raiding, less then 10% of the player base are raiding in a 10 man guild. So how does this affect the 90% of non-raiders? Also every server I've played on...even dead ones have level 25 900+ character guilds. If you want community all you need to do is find a large guild and you will find it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm not seeing something here. Hence why I'm posting. I want to see if others are seeing the same things and developing similar concerns--whether at my current level or not.
    in my opinion it looks more like you want validation, well good news.... you don't need it. If you're tired of the game you're free to go. No strings attached, this is NOT Hotel California. Go play the game that gives you fun.