Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    You can be sure the only reason that "law" exists is that space travel isn't common-place. Once most people can go into space easily, societies will start claiming stuff.
    Space would be treated no different than the open ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Actually it'll probably be treated like territorial waters,like you saw several hundred years ago. Technological weapons will be too dangerous to allow for anything like "high seas" space to lay just 12 miles off your zone.

Deleted
    You can be sure the only reason that "law" exists is that space travel isn't common-place. Once most people can go into space easily, societies will start claiming stuff.
    Yeah, it feels like that if we just have to share one planet there'll be a lot of ideological conflicts on how to run the planets. Definitely a smarter idea to just break the planet up into different zones.

Also, I would love to have some Swedish colonies in space. Thinking about studying space technology just to pursue that goal. Oh you silly patriotism.

Deleted
    So, curiosity found something already? Wonder if it's really that groundbreaking, but still...

... I'm curious!

(I admit, I wanted to do this since I saw the name of that probe...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity16 View Post
    just so im clear, nobody owns space correct?

how does that work btw :S - the moon was first landed on by americans (supposedly..) - they put the american flag up (supposedly..) was that any kind of declaration of the land? if they found some kind of mega mineral, would it be a race in space to colonize mars?

im hoping for somethign exciting, buttttt I somewhat feel that even if they release some "Earth shaking" information, it will NOT be all the information they have, doubt they let the big secrets of what they have found out..
    I am sure the younger generation might not get this, but there was no supposedly in the moon landing.

1st the US and the Soviets where doing a world wide public relations game, and both sides where checking for cheating. What this means is if the US cheated than the Soviets would have declared it so.

2nd Telescopes, radio astronomy, the western world is full of hobbyist who look up in the nights sky, during the moon landing every hobbyist on the planet fallowed the mission with telescopes and radio tracking devices.

3rd if you have a good telescope you can still see the flag planted on the moon.

As to ownership, the US has a good claim in the area around the moon landing site. However it really is first come first serve at this moment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post

3rd if you have a good telescope you can still see the flag planted on the moon.
    No you can not. (source : http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2094904AA1fyr9)

Also i'm pretty sure medias are overreacting and it's not that big of a deal.

One word......zombies...... Nuff said..... (please be zombies please be zombies)

Deleted
    So they finally found my car keys?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I lol'd. Need to make a comic about that.

"Robert, where are the car keys?"
    "Oh yeah, sorry hun, forgot to tell you that I accidently dropped them on the moon."
    "...what?"

Deleted
    It's being considered that the moon might be holding deposits of Helium-3 (I think it's called), and that mining operations on the moon might not be impossible in the future. But when I say future, I say 40-50 years atleast, unless something changes.

It is however, illegal to claim any planet as belonging to a country. It was some treaty that was signed in the UN back in space-faring days.

---------- Post added 2012-11-27 at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    Let's not get too optimistic.

I'm willing to predict that they found basic amino acid's. the building blocks of life.
    I expect the delay is to verify that it cant be a contamination from manufacturing.
    also, to rerun the tests on a blank and see the base line signal verify no earthly contamination
    then add more martian sample and see if the signal replicates 2-3 times.
    but it looks like its going to be methane.
    Last edited by tombstoner139; 2012-11-27 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    when are they going to announce what they found?
    December 3rd.

EDIT: I'd also like to re-assert my guess of evidence of biogenic oil, which would be a billion times more amazing than ^amino acids^ because of the implication of there once having been a vast, highly diverse and relatively advanced ecosystem. Plus it seems like it would be easier to find on a giant red Popsicle.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2012-11-27 at 03:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    We already know that there was once water on Mars due to ripple marks on the surface. The question is whether that water had life in it.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    As to ownership, the US has a good claim in the area around the moon landing site. However it really is first come first serve at this moment.
    nope there is treaty subscribed by over 100 nations that proibit any claiming and also any military base on the moon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Yes. Space would be treated exactly like the open ocean. With space (ocean) itself being largely claimed by no one (international waters). But every planet (island) and the waters around it will be claimed by someone.

NASA has a bad habit of saying something awesome and ground breaking and when they finally tell us, most are like uhh yea that was completely not interesting to us laymen. My pridiction is they found a black rock where there should only be red rocks - and they have no clue how it got there... fascinating.

I doubt it's something as huge as life on Mars. Maybe more along the lines of it has the potential to sustain life, in the future.

I don't know. At any rate, I am ridiculously excited to find out what this could be. I mean... if it IS life, then everything changes. Everything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    nope there is treaty subscribed by over 100 nations that proibit any claiming and also any military base on the moon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty
    I foresee that countries will set up individual camps around the planets, just like in Antarctica, which will after a while turn into territories belonging to respective country as the treaty becomes more obsolete.

Quote Originally Posted by salamala View Post
    NASA has a bad habit of saying something awesome and ground breaking and when they finally tell us, most are like uhh yea that was completely not interesting to us laymen. My pridiction is they found a black rock where there should only be red rocks - and they have no clue how it got there... fascinating.

A thousand times this. :\

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    *crosses fingers* please be The Martian Manhunter please be The Martian Manhunter please be The Martian Manhunter.

It's probably not him....

Oh well, hope they have found proof that life existed on Mars, that would be amazing to discover I also hope if they find out they didn't find anything, they let us know what they thought they had found.
    Sorry but they would never discover the Martian Manhunter. And if they did he would make sure that everybody forgot about him, and will make a trip to Earth disguised as a rock or something