Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Almost every upgrade I've ever done the CPU has gone into the socket/LGA and never come out. When I upgrade the system, I sell on the mobo+CPU+memory as a single combo. It's so rare I ever remove a CPU I honestly can't see this being a problem for me.

If you're a real enthusiast doing LN cooling and/or regularly breaking/swapping out CPUs possibly it might become a nuisance although how many people do this? A hardcore few. That said, I do think Intel should keep an eye in with the hardcore PC community and continue to offer solutions that cater to their needs.

I'm kinda torn. Pretty much everytime I've bought an upgrade, it's required all new parts. new CPU, motherboard and ram. It's beena long time since I was able to buy just a CPU upgrade. I don't know that I've ever had a CPU die, but I've had a few mobos to die. In most of those cases, I use that has an excuse to upgrade to a all new system.

The only thing I don't like, is the few times I did have a motherboard die, and replaced just the motherboard, it now means I'll have to buy a new CPU as well. So instead of a $150 it will be $300+ for a dead board ? That's a bit punishing.

I guess the real question is, how much of the money pie does the Enthusiasts make ? I'd imagine we're down in the 5-10% range. So maybe the advantages gained outweigh the loss. Most all business work to maximize their profits and sometimes that means cutting out niche segments markets.

Would we be happier if Intel just came out and said, "The enthusiast market is too small for us to pursue anymore, we're only interested in selling mainstream components."?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I'm kinda torn. Pretty much everytime I've bought an upgrade, it's required all new parts. new CPU, motherboard and ram. It's beena long time since I was able to buy just a CPU upgrade. I don't know that I've ever had a CPU die, but I've had a few mobos to die. In most of those cases, I use that has an excuse to upgrade to a all new system.

The only thing I don't like, is the few times I did have a motherboard die, and replaced just the motherboard, it now means I'll have to buy a new CPU as well. So instead of a $150 it will be $300+ for a dead board ? That's a bit punishing.

I guess the real question is, how much of the money pie does the Enthusiasts make ? I'd imagine we're down in the 5-10% range. So maybe the advantages gained outweigh the loss. Most all business work to maximize their profits and sometimes that means cutting out niche segments markets.

Would we be happier if Intel just came out and said, "The enthusiast market is too small for us to pursue anymore, we're only interested in selling mainstream components."?
    rather not 2 mainstream cpu chip producers.
    mainstream just doesn't cut it for certain techy aspects i can see this allot in my study aswell. (louse translation would be medical imaging radio techniques, basicly very image heavy and dual xeons still need quite some time to render a full body CT scan and MRI is even slower xD)

Deleted
    Thing is, I can't choose then if I get an ASUS mobo or something.

HAS to be an Intel one.

They are going Steve Jobs approach and my despising of the Intel company has made it's start into my mind. Let's see what else they will do.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Let's actually wait for Broadwell to launch (HASWELL HASN'T EVEN LAUNCHED YET CHILL GUYS OMG) before we go making any decisions to hate Intel or move to AMD forever and ever Amen or what have you.

inb4 NVidia makes its own CPUs. XD
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

then they would have to change the name to Ncpuidia

It depends on the performance of the chip, if Intel will release chip that is significantly more powerful than the AMD's. I wouldn't switch, anything lower I would go AMD.
    Last edited by Nab; 2012-11-27 at 04:51 PM.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Let's actually wait for Broadwell to launch (HASWELL HASN'T EVEN LAUNCHED YET CHILL GUYS OMG) before we go making any decisions to hate Intel or move to AMD forever and ever Amen or what have you.

Don't they already make ARM processors?

Deleted
    Thing is, I can't choose then if I get an ASUS mobo or something.

HAS to be an Intel one.
    Not necessarily. I think you're missing the point. The CPU will be a integrated component that OEMs and motherboard manufacturers will solder onto the motherboard. Just like any of the other integrated components you already decide to buy when you select a specific motherboard. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc - they'll simply sell a range of products with various CPU onboard. That's how I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    Not necessarily. I think you're missing the point. The CPU will be a integrated component that OEMs and motherboard manufacturers will solder onto the motherboard. Just like any of the other integrated components you already decide to buy when you select a specific motherboard. ASUS, Gigabyte, MSI, etc - they'll simply sell a range of products with various CPU onboard. That's how I understand it.
    Exactly.

Only obvious change for majority of gaming computer builders would be that the cpu+mobo bundles will probably drop in price (shipping and stocking fees in half) and it will come with really small and annoyingly noisy stock cooler (to fit into the box pre-installed) we used to have 15 years ago.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Exactly.

Only obvious change for majority of gaming computer builders would be that the cpu+mobo bundles will probably drop in price (shipping and stocking fees in half) and it will come with really small and annoyingly noisy stock cooler (to fit into the box pre-installed) we used to have 15 years ago.
    I seriously doubt the vendors would pass those savings on to us.

Deleted
    Yes indeed. I also suspect (although it's too early to tell at the moment) but you'll still be able to fit any cooler you like. The CPU may be permanently attached to the motherboard but there will probably still be mounting holes for the cooler. It would have to be that way to facilitate cooler replacement in the event the fan broke, etc.

Deleted
    Hmm odd...still it strips some choice away, which I like to have.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So if this becomes a reality, on Vesseblah's estimate, we've done a technology 180.... hmm.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I would honestly be suprised if they were this dim. People like to customize, OEM builders like keeping replacement parts cheap which this would definitely mess up, If it was done to servers as well, companies would jump ship since cpu uprades would be out. AMD already is slightly preferential on virtual servers since you can divy up cores and resources more.

Deleted
    Problem is, how will they fit those than. Not everyone needs a fast CPU, but does need a lot of sata ports/pcie ports. I can see it happening that an high end cpu will only be coupled with an high mobo. And low end cpu with an low end mobo. You just lose a lot of customizing. It is way more easier as it is now. You pick a cpu you need and a mobo which fits your needs.

But we will see what happens, i just hope they dont do it.

My biggest concern with this sort of progress is that 'non-standard' builds will be harder. Mini-ITX with a high-end processor would be quite rare I imagine...

Deleted
    I don't like the idea as far as choice is concerned but at the same time I don't think it's too big a deal either. A very shrude move by intel

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    rather not 2 mainstream cpu chip producers.
    mainstream just doesn't cut it for certain techy aspects i can see this allot in my study aswell. (louse translation would be medical imaging radio techniques, basicly very image heavy and dual xeons still need quite some time to render a full body CT scan and MRI is even slower xD)
    But those aren't running on mainstream\enthusiast PCs, those are running on Workstation class boxes. I'm sure Intel will still have the workstation level systems for those special needs which are probably just as easy to make cookie cutter as a desktop PC.

The reality is, how much do we honestly need enthusiast level boxes ? Anything I want to play I can play just fine on a cookie cutter box, as long as it's got the Video card to handle it. Liquid cooled and Overclocking is a fun side item, but I've not encounter anything yet that "requires it". Granted I don't play and will probably never play and 6000x3000 resolution either.

I like the choice and freedom, but I can see where the market may be getting too small and tight to support it.

Deleted
    Problem is, how will they fit those than. Not everyone needs a fast CPU, but does need a lot of sata ports/pcie ports.
    I agree it certainly doesn't sound ideal primarily for this reason. It's a long way off at the moment, we've got Haswell to get through first in 2013/14. After that we might have some more information about what Intel plan to do with Broadwell. We'll have to see what they offer - perhaps the CPU product range will be simplified, who knows. Chances are the mobo manufacturers will put the "performance" CPU onto their higher end boards but they may offer the same board with various CPUs.. It's all guesswork at the moment. We shouldn't worry about any of this at the moment, lets get our teeth into Haswell first and enjoy that.

Broadwell is the die shrink of Haswell... If it's anything like Sandy Bridge -> Ivy Bridge, you may end up skipping Broadwell entirely. The article also mentions that the successor Sky Lake will revert back to the socket system too.
    Last edited by mmocabe77c30e6; 2012-11-27 at 07:07 PM.