10+ Year Old Account

Rogue Utility Idea: Smoke Bomb

I think most of us are of the agreement that Rogues are currently lacking any sort of major raid utility, which combined with middle-of-the-pack DPS outside cleave fights and the typical melee liability makes us undesirable in 'hardcore' raiding compositions.

What if.... Smoke Bomb had an glyph or perhaps talent that turned it into a raid-wide cooldown? Something like Avert Harm or Divine Guardian or Anti-Magic Zone.

It could be done as a large amount in a small zone (For instance, 40% less in the typical area of a smoke bomb) or a smaller amount but party-raid wide ("Your Smoke Bomb no longer interferes with targetting but now reduces the damage taken by all party or raid members within 40 yards by 20%")

What do we think?
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

15+ Year Old Account
    that would actually require giving rogues USEFUL raid utility...

I would like that, but i do think it goes against what a rogue usually does.

We have always been more "selfish" but usually it works in our favor a lot more than it currently does. things like vanish-immuning, cloak of shadows removing/resisting quite a bit of boss mechanics and so on allowed us to perform our job much better than normal (ultimately giving higher dps on fights like putricide where we can ignore the phase transition stun), stay in much longer, or even help healers out considerably (vanish-immuning saurfang's DoT causing less raid damage and less tank damage)

Now, i would say we still have "utility" for the raid due to feint, and honestly only feint. In 10 man this shines a bit for me (while in 25 i think it would be weaker).
    -Need to explode mines on SG? i can immune a few and easily survive (65% less damage taken) all the rest.
    -Smoke bomb helps on spiritbinder when the add damage gets too high
    -On hm spirit kings when the range has to spread, i can stand with the tank and we can tough out the massive swipes by ourselves (evasion means they rarely hit me, feint + elisiveness + combat readiness means i dont take much damage, tack on growl and i can solo them).
    -Tricks to help adds get to the tank during the transition from phase 3 to 1
    -feint/elusiveness to jump on the majority of sparks in HM will
    -3 zones for 3 people each on HM Imperial Vizier Zor'lok? no problem, ill stand out and take less damage than everyone else
    -tank garalon and take less damage than a normal tank with feint while doing 3 times more damage
    -vanish (only pulled off once) when ambershapper goes to reshape you, causing him to waste his CD and giving the raid more uptime

We have a few uses, but always stuff that only effects us, that can make the raid more effective. that being said, i would love to have an actual raid CD . do locks/hunters/mages have one though? (the other pure DPS classes)

They could simply buff smoke bomb to reduce all damage taken within it by some percent (say, 20%). This would make it a desired raid cooldowns for some fights, but the area is rather small. I assume the goal is to make something on par with say, rallying cry?

play in arena vs casters SB unglyhped , play in arena vs alot of melee derps ( SB glyphed u see the problem with the balance?)
    Last edited by Kezuma; 2012-11-27 at 09:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezuma View Post
    play in arena vs casters SB unglyhped , play in arena vs alot of melee derps ( SB glyphed u see the problem with the balance?)
    This is a glyph intended for PVE, to give Rogues something on par with Rallying Cry, Anti-Magic Zone, Healing Tide, Tranquility and etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by Validity View Post
    This is a glyph intended for PVE, to give Rogues something on par with Rallying Cry, Anti-Magic Zone, Healing Tide, Tranquility and etcetera.
    i know what u mean and in theory sounds worderfull so we can bring some raid utility but then again that glyph will be to op when u fight melee dpsers imagine feint -30% with combat red and lets say 20% or w/e the numbers u want on the bomb glyph

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezuma View Post
    i know what u mean and in theory sounds worderfull so we can bring some raid utility but then again that glyph will be to op when u fight melee dpsers imagine feint -30% with combat red and lets say 20% or w/e the numbers u want on the bomb glyph
    For 5 seconds every three minutes, and that's giving up the target interfering component?

Deleted
    I've got a better idea that would solve two of our greatest issues at once:
    - We some raid utility
    - Fuck Tricks of the Trade

Solution:
    Make Tricks of the Trade a raid-wide Feint.

How does that sound? 7 seconds of 50% reduced AOE-damage taken. Powerful raid cooldown, and no more having to deal with Tricks.