Upgrade Advice/Assistance? GPU

Hi. I'm not tech savy so, I am here to ask for your assistance.

I'm looking to upgrade my 4 year old GPU: Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTS 250, 750 Watt Multi-GPU.
    What requirements do I need to know before purchasing a newer graphics card? If the card has a set dimension, do I shop only for that recommend spec? Any recommendations? I've been browsing GeForce's website but it's greek to me...been out of the loop for awhile. Price range is anything around $350.

Games I often play WoW 10/25m raids and Final Fantasy XIV. There's nothing wrong with my card...haven't notice any problems while raiding. But I would like to play at max settings instead of recommended settings.

Is the NVIDIA's GTX 660 Ti an adequate upgrade? Thank you for your advice.

What are the rest of your system spec's - specifically the CPU.

While a new GPU would help, it's only going to help so much. You will need a decent CPU as well.

Oh! Hopefully, the CPU is good enough.

Here's the spec:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-920 2.66 GHz 8MB Cache
    Memory: 3GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 3 x 1024MB
    Motherboard: Intel® Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
    Last edited by penpen002; 2012-11-26 at 11:52 PM.

Haven't dealt with the i7-920, but if you were to overclock it that would help in your 25man raids, along with a new GPU.

The GTX 660Ti would be a great upgrade, they are price at $270-340 on newegg. The alternative would be the 7950 which is priced around the same. Either are plenty for for WoW - however getting in the cities and 25man raiding you will most likely see the FPS dip if you are running at 1080p.

But with everything at Med-Ultra (shadows/sunshafts would be lower settings) settings you should be able to hold above 30fps in 25m raids (don't quote me on that though)
    Last edited by Sthos; 2012-11-27 at 12:07 AM.

Neato Thank you Sthos!

I can push my i5-750 to around 3.4-3.5GHz, providing that your cooler is adequate I see no reason to overclock yours to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    660 Ti is a solid card for your needs, but is your PSU up to it? What is your PSU wattage and brand/model if possible?

Also your RAM is a potential bottleneck, 3GB really isn't much. Are you running a 64bit operating system? If you are, upgrading to tri-channel 6GB kit (2GB x 3) will leave you far more wiggle-room for gaming & applications.

Finally, before we get into overclocking we need to know your motherboard model. What you posted earlier:
    Motherboard: Intel® Motherboard- Socket 1366 Core i7 Ready, Dual Triple Channel DDR3 Memory
    This really doesn't mean anything lol, of course it's socket 1366 and triple-channel...but we need a model code/number

I'm assuming you bought your PC as a prebuild (i.e. you didn't build it)? If it is a prebuild, we just need the PC model.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Hi Xuvial-

Sorry, I've copy & pasted the specs from an old receipt.
    Yes, 64bit OS/Wins7 and I am upgrading to x3 2GB for the wiggle room. (After seeing the deals on Newegg.)
    My PC was purchased (as a gift) pre-built and the PC model is the oh so heavy Alienware Area51 X58. Hope this what you need.

Thank you for you input! I, a non-computer genius truly appreciate it.

10+ Year Old Account
    You must have customized yours because the Area51 X58 was HUGELY customizable, I'm seeing specs & setups ranging anywhere from $1000 to $5000. They offered a big range of graphics cards and even power supplies.

The best thing to do is open up your case and read what's written on your power supply (the box-shaped thing out of which all the cables are coming out of). Read DC output or max wattage or something, it will be in the area of 300w-800w (or maybe more?).

Or maybe that "750 watt" thing you mentioned in your first post is the wattage of your PSU?

Yes that's correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3nzy View Post
    I can push my i5-750 to around 3.4-3.5GHz, providing that your cooler is adequate I see no reason to overclock yours to this.
    3.4-3.5 isn't really high. I reach 4.0ghz at arround 1.2V without even trying.

The system originally came with SLi GTS 250's. Given the power needed to run that config, power requirement for any currently relevant single GPU setup isn't even a question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by penpen002 View Post
    Yes that's correct.
    Then you should be more than good to go to upgrade to a 660 Ti, maybe every a 670.

Do upgrade to a 6GB RAM kit if you can as well, you have 64bit windows so it will see all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Then you should be more than good to go to upgrade to a 660 Ti, maybe every a 670.

Do upgrade to a 6GB RAM kit if you can as well, you have 64bit windows so it will see all of it.
    Thank you Xuvial! I am definitely going to upgrade and do just that. Appreciate your knowledge.